House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newbonic

Edinburgh Festival - Worth Going, Or 3 Weeks Of Predictable Trump/farage/boris Bashing?

My wife wants to go to the Fringe in auld reekie. However, I've just seen an article on Sky news about it. There was a succession of right on comics and entertainers who will appear, and it looks very much like the go to butt of a lot of the shows 'satire' and jokes will be:

• Donald Trump (who seens to be a 'fatcher' like hate figure for the 2000 n teenies)
  • Farage
  • Brexit
  • Boris J
  • Etc
Is the Fringe likely to just be a tediously predicable succession of right-on lefties attacking the above, and blokes in their 40s pretending that they're still students in their 20s?

Or is there still some satire worthy of the name and genuine insighfullness that makes you think new stuff.

Anybody been?

I live here. Go to a few shows every year. Not many. The town is so busy its annoying. But probably quite exciting for a tourist. There is so much to see you will find something you like. Accommodation is expensive though. Jerry Sadowitz is one person you should see if you don't want to hear any 'right on' comics. He's about the polar opposite. Very funny and great magic too.

Anybody been?

I live in Edinburgh but try to avoid the Festival/Fringe. The town centre's completely packed for several weeks.

Having said that, there's more to it than comedy. That's kind of taken over in the last 20 years or so (and I imagine this year a lot of it will indeed be predictably about Brexit/Trump/racism/...), but there's still a huge amount of drama/music/whatever of variable quality.

The fringe seems to be a load of middleclass students having one last spin of the comedy/performance dice before they become Drs and stuff.

'But everyone in hall/footlight/etc thought I was hilarious'

If god had wanted people to laugh at middleclass people he'd have put a pen1s on the end of their nose.

A lot of the alternate stuff wore thin in the 80s. 30 years on its fckin annoying.

I would go a see Jerry Sadowitz- mainly for his card tricks.

I'd love to see Jerry Sadowitz live. Remember his show on channel 5 back in the day. Fancied seeing Burniston live too.

I was toying with the idea of going to Edinburgh for the fringe as I know a couple of people who live there but I get the impression the city is full of far-left-but-wealthy types.

The type who love Corbyn but don't actually mix with anyone below their class level. And I have a very short fuse for grandiosity or pretentiousness. I can smell these types a mile off.

I actually don't find comedians very funny. I'd rather go to an IET lecture on 3-phase motors.

Didn't he nearly get lynched in Canada once for rubbing people up the wrong way?

The show I was at some smashed bloke literally made a go for the stage to have a fight with him.

He was dragged out by security guards as Sadowitz shouted that he was going to get a knife and stab the '****'. Amusing.

I live here. Go to a few shows every year. Not many. The town is so busy its annoying. But probably quite exciting for a tourist. There is so much to see you will find something you like. Accommodation is expensive though. Jerry Sadowitz is one person you should see if you don't want to hear any 'right on' comics. He's about the polar opposite. Very funny and great magic too.

I'd love to see him live too, thoroughly enjoyed his series the Pall Bearer's Review and his other works. He's so caustic and doesn't give a sh*t, plus his magic and card tricks are absolutely amazing

Didn't he nearly get lynched in Canada once for rubbing people up the wrong way?

By shouting 'Greetings moose f*ckers!' at the start of his show - brits would find this sort of insult hilarious, americans/canadians less so ...

I actually don't find comedians very funny. I'd rather go to an IET lecture on 3-phase motors.

Have a look at Lindybeige on YouTube. He talks about ancient swords, helmets, armour and so on. It's much funnier then any so-called comedy on the so-called TV.

Have a look at Lindybeige on YouTube. He talks about ancient swords, helmets, armour and so on. It's much funnier then any so-called comedy on the so-called TV.

Obviously I like swords and helmets, but I really make my beans out of 3-phase motors!

Great spectacle..some great shows..be selective..wonderful atmosphere..entertainment everywhere..walk into any pub and there will be something going on..walk down side streets and something is going on..be selective (did I say that) you can choose what you see, its not all English stuff, comics and talented people come from all over the world.

I used to be a member of the IEE until they changed the name and lost 100 years of recognition.

I used to be a member of the IEE until they changed the name and lost 100 years of recognition.

The jokes in the magazine aren't as funny as Viz, and the tits aren't as good as "Mayfair" used to have. :huh: