House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Pictures Of Devon In The 1970S & 80S

With a few exceptions (the old men alll wearing suits, the woman farmer, the old petrol station) these to me look like they could have been taken last week, even the clothes are familiar. I'm not saying "I remember it well" but rather if these were in the local newspaper and in colour then I wouldn't think that they were anything other than current events.

Does anybody look at these and think that looks like the distant past and if so can I ask (roughly) where you live? Or do you also still live somewhere like this?

So for example this one. If you replace the cars with modern ones then this could have been taken yesterday.

36D5625900000578-3721625-image-m-126_147

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3721625/Country-picnics-windy-seaside-trips-dog-walks-woods-Nostalgia-inducing-black-white-images-life-rural-Devon-1970s-80s.html#ixzz4GLHQIAfw

Probably double the number of cars though?

There's some cracking ones of Manchester

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

The little boy in this picture is still about.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=22288&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=50820

He's about 12 foot tall now though :)

I do a lot of family history research, and as my family has Manchester roots, this collection has been a fantastic resource.

A lot of Hulme, and Moss side was flattened in the 1970's, and local photgraphers documented it almost building-by-building before it was lost.

As a result I have been able to find pictures of my mother's, my grandmother's and my great uncle's birthplaces, as well as the 1850 home of my great-great grandfather, all demolished over 50 years ago.

I do a lot of family history research, and as my family has Manchester roots, this collection has been a fantastic resource.

It is a lovely resource. Made possible by photographic surveys.

Digital photography has changed the way we will remember the world.

With a few exceptions (the old men alll wearing suits, the woman farmer, the old petrol station) these to me look like they could have been taken last week, even the clothes are familiar. I'm not saying "I remember it well" but rather if these were in the local newspaper and in colour then I wouldn't think that they were anything other than current events.

Does anybody look at these and think that looks like the distant past and if so can I ask (roughly) where you live? Or do you also still live somewhere like this?

So for example this one. If you replace the cars with modern ones then this could have been taken yesterday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3721625/Country-picnics-windy-seaside-trips-dog-walks-woods-Nostalgia-inducing-black-white-images-life-rural-Devon-1970s-80s.html#ixzz4GLHQIAfw

This maybe the location today:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.0181714,-3.832277,3a,60y,94.99h,70.22t/am=t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sW5wHH2whhYCbWaUYDblkUg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

British street design has stagnated over the last 40-50 years. Immediately before that everything was redesigned around cars - look at the wide lanes and swooping corners on the side road that mean cars can move quickly and pedestrians have to cross large distances of road before reaching the next safe patch of pavement. The car-ification of British towns was never undone, that's why photos from so long ago match the street scene today.

That's some quality sleuthing.

Easier than I thought. Just took the two locations on the sign and backtracked to the first big settlement with a junction. Got it in one!

May be we should be celebrating the fact it looks like yesterday. And because the area bears some relation to how things looked in 1976, when we were at our happiest in the history of mankind,then no doubt the desirability to live there increases. Basically the stuff we have built since is so God forsaken it's basically the preserve of those starting out in life...new builds, shopping malls...whilst the oldies hog the good stuff like this Devon town.

Easier than I thought. Just took the two locations on the sign and backtracked to the first big settlement with a junction. Got it in one!

I would have been thrown by the fact the A373 has been completely renamed to the B3137

Wonder what the reasoning was behind that :huh:

They don't have those little price signs on spikes they used to stick into the meat/cheese any more

This country has indeed gone to the dogs.

Even easier - I recognised this as my local butcher (Shapland and Searle) in South Molton.

The on-street parking is still free.

The big difference between North Devon now and in the past is how busy it has become, it has had a huge population growth in the last 40 years. Barnstaple traffic is now very bad at peak times. Add to this the annual tourist influx and it can get very busy indeed.

36D562E100000578-3721625-image-m-120_147

58p / 70p for how many eggs?

I pay £1.20 for six duck eggs from the lady across the road. Doesn't seem so bad compared to 70p for hen eggs in Ye Olde Days.

Even easier - I recognised this as my local butcher (Shapland and Searle) in South Molton.

The big difference between North Devon now and in the past is how busy it has become, it has had a huge population growth in the last 40 years. Barnstaple traffic is now very bad at peak times. Add to this the annual tourist influx and it can get very busy indeed.

Yes, the North Devon Link Road has had a large effect. Lots of new houses being built around Barnstaple, Tiverton and Bideford. Lots of people buying farm land with road frontage with the hope of building houses on it one way of another. New housing estates springing up along the Tarka Line. Devon isn't cows and clotted cream any more.

What are the main sources of employment round there that would cause it to get like that?

What are the main sources of employment round there that would cause it to get like that?

Tea shoppes?

Good find, cheers for that.

There don't actually seem to be many more cars.

But I see that the car park is now charging.

The woman who was looking in the shop window has moved as well.

Yes, the North Devon Link Road has had a large effect. Lots of new houses being built around Barnstaple, Tiverton and Bideford. Lots of people buying farm land with road frontage with the hope of building houses on it one way of another. New housing estates springing up along the Tarka Line. Devon isn't cows and clotted cream any more.

The picture with the bunting and the men standing around reminds me of Bideford as I know it and the part where my father grew up. It's like George Orwell's Lower Binfield now.