House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Regularise Your Stay?

http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/10/couple-married-for-12-years-are-split-up-by-uk-immigration-5872714/

Mrs Price did not regularise her stay in the UK, and declined the option of returning to the USA voluntarily on several occasions. For this reason, and after her cancer treatment, we made arrangements for her removal from the UK.’

"The couple married in Texas in 2004, but moved to Britain after David overstayed his American visa – meaning he can’t even go back to the USA to join her."

So the USA can throw him out and not let him in cos he messed up his visa, but it's wrong of us to throw her out?

I've got some german spitting feathers on my fb about how unfair this is that his wife has been sent away?

I have some sympathy for them, but seeing they had to leave the US because of a visa violation, it was pretty stupid for them to make the same mistake again in the UK.

And something feels odd about the brief account that makes me think we are not being told all the relevant details of the story.

Presumably she got us to cough up for her cancer treatment on the NHS.

What was it about them that stopped them from complying? They must be stoopid.

There are quite a few inconsistencies in the story.

eg, they said they couldn't afford the £1400 for the ILR because she couldn't work on her visa - but as a wife of a UK citizen she'd have a visa which allowed her to work.

And I'd have thought that anyone who'd been thrown out of a country due to visa issues would be hyperattentive to visa requirements from that point on.

But this type of story is designed to to make you think 'how awful, she seems like a nice girl - and yet they allow all those Romanian/Indian/African people in - it is a disgrace'. We'd be better off without that type of journalism.

But this type of story is designed to to make you think 'how awful, she seems like a nice girl - and yet they allow all those Romanian/Indian/African people in - it is a disgrace'. We'd be better off without that type of journalism.

Exactly, it's nothing but propaganda.

There are quite a few inconsistencies in the story.

eg, they said they couldn't afford the £1400 for the ILR because she couldn't work on her visa - but as a wife of a UK citizen she'd have a visa which allowed her to work.

And I'd have thought that anyone who'd been thrown out of a country due to visa issues would be hyperattentive to visa requirements from that point on.

Not sure that's been true for a while. When my missus and I married she then had to apply for ILR - and the price for that has been slowly creeping up.

I have sympathy, but I also think they haven't played fair. They've been married for 12 years, had several warnings from UK authorities, and he's been slung out of the US for overstaying his visa - but still they haven't prioritised getting it sorted.

In contrast, the missus and I got married at a similar time - and immediately applied for ILR (and got it within about four weeks).

I don't have much sympathy here, being married they could have fairly easily got a US green card for him and, depending on income and/or assets it works also have been straightforward for her the get a UK visa. The rules around this stuff are not that complex but they chose to basically ignore them for whatever reason.

I might be a bit of a conspiracy theorists, but you see the odd story about Australians (one in the news at the moment), Americans, Canadians etc. that break the visa rules and then there is an attempt to deport.

The media then jumps on the band wagon, because they know these people will get a lot more sympathy than say a Pakistani under threat of deportation, a few stories are done, and a lot of their fine upstanding friends say how unfair it is.

I see this as a subtle way to weaken the immigration system, by saying how unfair it is for all, even, our nice cuddly American friends. The law should be applied strictly for all!