House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CunningPlan

Another Kick In The Teeth For The Young

When is this going to stop ..

http://www.2pass.co.uk/driving-age.htm#.V6L-fLsrKUk

We have received many questions from worried teenagers regarding rumours of the minimum driving age going up to 18 in the UK.

The driving age could (It's not yet Law!) be raised to 18 in an attempt to slash the death toll on our roads. Also young people could be forced to wait until they are 19 before they qualify for a full licence under radical plans being considered by ministers. Currently they can be driving independently at 17.

Under the proposals young people would still be allowed to learn to drive when they turn 17. But they would have to turn 18 before they could take their test, and would also have to log 120 hours of supervised practice, including 20 hours at night.

After passing their test the novice motorist would then remain ‘on probation’ for 12 months and be required to carry a green ‘P’ plate on their car.

During this time they would be banned from carrying passengers aged under 30 or from driving between the hours of 10pm and 5am unless they are accompanied by an adult aged over 30.

All new drivers, including older motorists, would also face restrictions on night driving, a lower drink-drive limit and a ban on using a hands-free mobile phone for 12 months after passing their test.

If after consultation the Government decided to go ahead there would almost certainly have to be new Laws. Notice of a Bill would then perhaps be given in the Queens speech at the state opening of parliament.

The Bill would the have to pass through both houses of parliament (assuming the Lords are still there).

Huh?

This is like an argument in 1916 about the right type of leather for harnesses in a horse and cart.

Have these idiots been living in a cave for the last five years?

NOBODY is going to have/need a "driving licence" in a few years' time.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/164687-google-driverless-cars-merged/?hl=google%20driverless

There does appear to be an agenda of extending childhood.

My thought is that what the government is doing is trying to cut the state pension bill.

I'll explain...

Fitfy years ago (arbitrary date but it serves) a lot of the population started work at sixteen and retired at sixty five. So approx fifty years working life and the state paying a pension 65 on.

Now that pension age is 67, and 70 or even 75 looks on the cards. This will massively slash the state pension bill.

Take 75. To keep working life fixed at 50 years you need people to not start work until they're 25 (this happens a lot in Germany already); so you start pushing people aqway from starting work before this.

The school leaver age is now 18 not 16, vast numbers (who shouldn't be) are going to university and funding three or more years from their own future earnings.

Now you make it hard for people to start work early: restrict their ability to travel by raising the driving age and then restricting it. No night time driving - well that rules out driving to any normal job in the winter then.

What next? Well the u35s restriction on housing benefit (just enough to get a room in a shared house) will keep people living at home with their parents for longer.

It's all little nudges until the path of least resistance becomes to stay as a studying adolescent until you're 25 and burdened with vast debt that it will take decades to pay off.

The stats probably don't take into account that newly qualified drivers are going to be invovled in more accidents at whatever age they start. There probably is a bit of age element to it in terms of over confidence too. The longer I go accident free....33 years now...the more convinced I am that I am not a great driver and it is down to fortune. Not got as much confidence in myself as the insurance company have to charge me diddly squat. I definitely used to think inversely to that when in my teens.

will they also introduce laws that severely restrict the rights of older drivers? Or will the fact that they vote more make their crap driving excusable?

will they also introduce laws that severely restrict the rights of older drivers? Or will the fact that they vote more make their crap driving excusable?

There was a documentary a few months back showing very old drivers being retested. Not sure if this is compulsory? What did surprise me is the slack that was cut to these individuals, some of the driving was pretty shocking and they got away with a new licence plus advice.

There does appear to be an agenda of extending childhood.

My thought is that what the government is doing is trying to cut the state pension bill.

I'll explain...

Fitfy years ago (arbitrary date but it serves) a lot of the population started work at sixteen and retired at sixty five. So approx fifty years working life and the state paying a pension 65 on.

Now that pension age is 67, and 70 or even 75 looks on the cards. This will massively slash the state pension bill.

Take 75. To keep working life fixed at 50 years you need people to not start work until they're 25 (this happens a lot in Germany already); so you start pushing people aqway from starting work before this.

The school leaver age is now 18 not 16, vast numbers (who shouldn't be) are going to university and funding three or more years from their own future earnings.

Now you make it hard for people to start work early: restrict their ability to travel by raising the driving age and then restricting it. No night time driving - well that rules out driving to any normal job in the winter then.

What next? Well the u35s restriction on housing benefit (just enough to get a room in a shared house) will keep people living at home with their parents for longer.

It's all little nudges until the path of least resistance becomes to stay as a studying adolescent until you're 25 and burdened with vast debt that it will take decades to pay off.

Or no conspiracy at all just the result of the rapidly out of control Eco lobby where any petrol powered machine being is seen as Satan's work

Youngsters already have to pass ridiculous tests just to get on a motorbike

The overall result might be the same - not sure it's joined up and for the reasons you state

Or no conspiracy at all just the result of the rapidly out of control Eco lobby where any petrol powered machine being is seen as Satan's work

The overall result might be the same - not sure it's joined up and for the reasons you state

I'm seeing a lot of strands going the same way. I dn't think there's a secret cabal ticking down a list but I think that anything that keeps down the benefits or pension bill is seen as a huge plus and this extended childhood is the effect of that.

There was a documentary a few months back showing very old drivers being retested. Not sure if this is compulsory? What did surprise me is the slack that was cut to these individuals, some of the driving was pretty shocking and they got away with a new licence plus advice.

Can"t stand that thinking - rather like saying if carry a gun then you are automatically a murderer. Insurance companies are greedy f***** but they do run on ever more sophisticated statistical models.

If older drivers were the menace c*** tv makes out they would be uninsurable or paying a mint.

Simple truth is kids are a massive risk through the loss of lifetime earnings if they have a crash with passengers in the car

So I suspect the young restriction is driven by the insurance companies

That might rebound. My lad and his three friends will travel the length and breadth of the UK next year taking part in sporting events. Currently they can go in one car. Bring in this law and they will all have to take a car each (or bung a granny in the boot)

Can"t stand that thinking - rather like saying if carry a gun then you are automatically a murderer. Insurance companies are greedy f***** but they do run on ever more sophisticated statistical models.

If older drivers were the menace c*** tv makes out they would be uninsurable or paying a mint.

Simple truth is kids are a massive risk through the loss of lifetime earnings if they have a crash with passengers in the car

So I suspect the young restriction is driven by the insurance companies

My next door neighbors lad bought a banger when he was 19. It cost <£1k. Then the insurance companies wanted £2k+ to cover it, so he got shut and waited until he was a couple for years older.

The insurance companies know better than anyone what a dangerous liability many teenage men are on the roads. Every year there seems to be a story in the local media about a young guy losing control on a bend at midnight, while racing another young bloke, and killing a teenage passenger or two (often girls).

I'd not bother with more legislation, and let the insurance companies make the call. The SJWs will probably whinge about how rich peoples kids are the only ones who can afford to drive at 18, but meh, stuff happens/life's not fair, etc.

My next door neighbors lad bought a banger when he was 19. It cost <£1k. Then the insurance companies wanted £2k+ to cover it, so he got shut and waited until he was a couple for years older.

The insurance companies know better than anyone what a dangerous liability many teenage men are on the roads. Every year there seems to be a story in the local media about a young guy losing control on a bend at midnight, while racing another young bloke, and killing a teenage passenger or two (often girls).

I'd not bother with more legislation, and let the insurance companies make the call. The SJWs will probably whinge about how rich peoples kids are the only ones who can afford to drive at 18, but meh, stuff happens/life's not fair, etc.

As I understand it to avoid this high insurance kids go onto their parent's insurance as a named occasional driver with the car and main driver insurance in their parent's name.

Older cars are very cheap (I had a friend over from the US who could not believe that you can buy a working car for £500 here, $2k seems to be the minimum in the US) so with this and the parent insurance thing a basic part time job can get you onto the road,

As I understand it to avoid this high insurance kids go onto their parent's insurance as a named occasional driver with the car and main driver insurance in their parent's name.

Older cars are very cheap (I had a friend over from the US who could not believe that you can buy a working car for £500 here, $2k seems to be the minimum in the US) so with this and the parent insurance thing a basic part time job can get you onto the road,

Been a CIO of an insurance Co and they are getting wise to all that hence even without black boxes more extensive questions re job locale etc, if you get caught pretty serious and a bit like Queenie and the train robbery they will make an example of you

That might rebound. My lad and his three friends will travel the length and breadth of the UK next year taking part in sporting events. Currently they can go in one car. Bring in this law and they will all have to take a car each (or bung a granny in the boot)

It could indeed from an eco sense

That's called "Fronting" and is fraud.

+1

The accident statistics are pretty clear, people under 25 or over 75 are not safe to drive.

Another consideration is that you can still ride a 50cc motorbike at 16. I started work at 16 and had to commute 30 miles every day in snow / sleet / you name it on a moped. It never felt very safe.

I passed my test 10 days after my seventeenth birthday and ditched the moped immediately. I never really understood why you were allowed on the most lethal (to the rider) form of transport before you could drive a much safer car.

Does build road sense though - so long as you stay alive!

well it seems that young people are taking longer to grow up, or they are being forced to grow up later....is it because they expect people to live longer?

+1

The accident statistics are pretty clear, people under 25 or over 75 are not safe to drive.

Two big drivers (sic) for each here.

Under 25s mainly down to inexperience (so raising the age would just shift the problem).

Over 75s mostly down to ill health. However illness that impacts driving can happen anytime.

Also <25 driver stats were scewed by repeat offenders ( rich kids or kids driving illegally). Not sure if this is still the case now.

Under 25s mainly down to inexperience (so raising the age would just shift the problem).

Are you sure it doesn't have more to do with teenage testosterone rather than inexperience?

Are you sure it doesn't have more to do with teenage testosterone rather than inexperience?

Or oestrogen. The worst driving I see comes from young women, especially if they have their friend in the passenger seat.

One such zoomed past me a month ago, way too fast to approach the roundabout, and barely slowed for it. Straight into a motorcyclist side on. And surpise surprise two c. 20 yo women got out.

Others say the same.

The boy racer driving tends to happen at night when the roads are quiet and tehy can show off so I'm not seeing it; they drive perfectly fine during the day.

Another consideration is that you can still ride a 50cc motorbike at 16. I started work at 16 and had to commute 30 miles every day in snow / sleet / you name it on a moped. It never felt very safe.

I passed my test 10 days after my seventeenth birthday and ditched the moped immediately. I never really understood why you were allowed on the most lethal (to the rider) form of transport before you could drive a much safer car.

Does build road sense though - so long as you stay alive!

A car is much larger so the risk to those around them is greater, also more chance of passengers so greater liability.