House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Passenger Jet Crash-Lands At Dubai Airport

On fire, everybody out safe according to Dubai Media

http://news.sky.com/story/passenger-jet-crash-lands-at-dubai-airport-10521135

A plane has crash-landed at Dubai International Airport, according to the Dubai government media office.

Emirates airline has confirmed that a jet carrying 282 passengers and 18 crew has been "involved in an accident".

Forward section and nose complete fireball.

Reports the Plane caught fire in the air, right engine.

Then exploded on landing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3721366/Fire-Dubai-International-Airport-Emirates-Airline-passenger-jet-crash-lands.html

How accurate is Dubai Media?

The fire is on the right hand side of the aircraft and the Chutes have been deployed on the right side only.

At least one of those Chutes would have been where the wing / engine was on fire.

45 second evacuation imppressive.

28lsuw8.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3721366/Fire-Dubai-International-Airport-Emirates-Airline-passenger-jet-crash-lands.html

The fire is on the right hand side of the aircraft and the Chutes have been deployed on the right side only.

Looking at the footage on BBC I'd say not very accurate.

It looks to me like the RHS under-carriage has collapsed on landing and the plane is down on its right wing (hence why chutes deployed on the RHS only, LHS would've been a near vertical drop); I can't see any reason why an engine fire/explosion would cause this, most likely the collapse ruptured a fuel line which then ignited off the engine.

If it is the above I'd say they are very lucky as it must have happened at low speed at the end of the landing, if it'd happened on touchdown then it would've been a major disaster.

Looks like a wheels up landing...

Could be, but how could that happen? I thought there were manual procedures they could use to lower the gear if necessary.

Edit, apparently a Polish 767 did one in 2011 due to a hydraulic failure.

Apparently they called for a go-around but with the temp at 49, QNH (pressure) at 993 and (anecdotally) a tailwind element they just sunk on to the runway.

According to PPrune the weather at the time was

OMDB 030900Z 11021KT 3000 BLDU NSC 49/07 Q0993 WS ALL RWY TEMPO 35015KT 1500

That's bloody bad conditions for a landing! For the wind to be able to suddenly shift 120 degrees with windsheer like that... plus very hot temp and low pressure too so engines slow to respond.

Mind you, SOP are designed to cope with this...

An on-fire engine falling off must surely be some amazing bit of luck ?

An on-fire engine falling off must surely be some amazing bit of luck ?

Probably the opposite. I read somewhere that on a 747 its only the weight of the engines that stops the wings folding upwards.

I would have thought that the (ideal) inflight engine fire is followed by a shut down and then operation of the extinguishers. An engine falling off I guess would wreck the mechanical integrity of the wing which if you were high up would not be good.

On the other hand, if the plane hits the ground and slides, then the engines and wings coming away from the plane as it hits I would guess might be a good scenario, because the further the fuel and stuff with high rotational energy gets away from the passengers the better. Unless you believe that stuff about planes floating on water while the chutes deploy, because a fuselage with no wings would have no stability.

Edit : I'll add an anecdote that I guy I knew was on a flight from the far east, A four engined plane and one of the engines packed up mid air. Apparently there was noise, fire and smoke. The pilot shut the engine off and kept on going. I think in flight engine failures are more common than a lot of people realise.

Look, from one of the videos, that the explosion flew part of the wing surface up into the air and backwards.

It will be interesting to see what the real story is here. Considering they had just flown across the Arabian Sea from the bottom of India they are damn lucky that whatever happened took place so close to landing.

Did one landing gear collapse on landing? Presumably, if they knew it was faulty they would have gone around and dumped fuel before landing.

It's Dubai, where nothing bad is ever admitted to having happened .... Remember the Skyscraper next to the Burj Khalifa that went up like a match just before the fireworks on NYE? The fireworks display went ahead and the media just cut to pictures near the Burj Al Arab where nothing much was going on. The official line at the time was that everything was fine but later it seemed that loads of people got injured during the evacuation and someone died of a cardiac arrest.

If the dead or injured are slave labourers , sorry 'migrant workers', then don't expect any reports at all.

One Crewmember hospitalised for treatment apparently.

I wonder if any self centred types tried to retrieve hand luggage from the overhead lockers?

Like they did in the Vegas-Speedbird engine fire?

Seems like some luggage was retrieved:

As horrified passengers on other planes watched, people slid down the slide and began walking to safety. Some clutched bags and suitcases, though many left behind passports and money. Some passengers, barefoot, burned their soles on the hot runway.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-3722322/Screams-smoke-rush-safety-Dubai-crash-landing.html

Why would anyone do such a thing in a situation like that?

Take a suitcase down the escape chute risking puncturing it for those following? not to mention holding up / obstruction others trying to escape the inferno.

Watch the video from inside the plane that's just been on the bbc. Looks like the majority of people were trying to get their bags out of the lockers as their plane had just crash landed and there was smoke all around it.

Watch the video from inside the plane that's just been on the bbc. Looks like the majority of people were trying to get their bags out of the lockers as their plane had just crash landed and there was smoke all around it.

Absolute twattery of the highest order, could've cost people their lives.