House Price Crash Forum
Patient London FTB

The Sun Calls For Mass Housebuilding

Big deal IMO:

PLUMMETING home ownership is a problem every bit as pressing as the industrial woes Theresa May set about solving ­yesterday. But it is surely simpler to fix.

The dire shortage of new houses, our soaring population and the buy-to-let explosion have combined to put buying beyond the reach of a generation.

Levels of private ownership have not been this low in England since 1986. The figures are nose-diving everywhere, not just in London and the South East.

Some sneer at Brits obsessing over owning a home. Germans don’t mind renting, they say. But why shouldn’t we aspire to the security of a property we can own and invest in for life instead of keeping a landlord in clover?

It is vital this Prime Minister does what David Cameron couldn’t — instigate a huge building programme, free up land and relax planning laws.

Her talk of turbo-charging productivity, innovation and growth in every ­corner of the country is a great dream — and we eagerly await the solutions.

But what of Maggie Thatcher’s dream, of home ownership for most families?

It has become a luxury for the middle-class and middle-aged.

Mrs May’s philosophy is “doing, not talking”. She will “get on and deliver”.

Come on then, Theresa. Deliver us a housing revolution to transform Britain.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1544546/homes-mayday/

Why have the MSM suddenly started to focus on this? I reckon May's behind it. She's been plotting to fill the press with stories about it, and will announce something in a few days/weeks about a mass housebuilding shakeup, and take all the glory for "acting quickly."

Why have the MSM suddenly started to focus on this? I reckon May's behind it. She's been plotting to fill the press with stories about it, and will announce something in a few days/weeks about a mass housebuilding shakeup, and take all the glory for "acting quickly."

I would have said you were over-reacting, but now I've seen that Sun piece I'm not so sure.

At what price?

There are some new builds near us and they represent far worse value than the existing stock. Same horrific prices plus much smaller house. No thanks.

Nominal price crash first please then they can decide how to 'fix'..

At what price?

There are some new builds near us and they represent far worse value than the existing stock. Same horrific prices plus much smaller house. No thanks.

Promising building helps cause nominal price falls ...

And yes new builds are overpriced. Solution is to buy them off the first buyer, not be the first buyer.

I think they've twigged it is essential to their political future if they don't do something now.

We always said on here that at some point the numbers make this inevitable one day and the scumlords and amateur landlords will one day be cast to the wolves.

The political battlelines are being drawn. How to keep their builder Tory party donors and their natural supporters, the landlords, happy at the same time will be key to watch.

I think you're giving them too much credit. We'll still be discussing this much needed (or not) house building boom in 5 years' time. It'll all die down after some miracle announcement that May is fixing it. Reality will set in, and nothing will change.

Not that I care. Building more homes won't do much to bring down prices if they're sold at spot prices with all the usual props (and more) to keep them inflated. I might become a NIMBY on the basis that I'm driving down prices by blocking developments. :lol:

I think they've twigged it is essential to their political future if they don't do something now.

We always said on here that at some point the numbers make this inevitable one day and the scumlords and amateur landlords will one day be cast to the wolves.

The political battlelines are being drawn. How to keep their builder Tory party donors and their natural supporters, the landlords, happy at the same time will be key to watch.

It's the Nimbies who are really going to be the hardest to win over.

The established landlords will be ok as they have passed down their prudent business model through generations - it's the small group of debt-befuddled Property 118ers who prospered under New Labour who will be gutted.

Builders should be fine and the donors from the world of finance will love the chance to spray more debt over a new generation.

They need something to create jobs in the upcoming recession, building 150,000 council houses will do just that.

But seeing how useless our political class is they'll not manage a mass council house building project ...possibly something like 20000 a year could be there limit.

Thing is i've 100K to spend on a plot of land and have no chance of finding such a plot, one rule for the little people as always.

I would love to see land freed up for self builders. Modern prefab eco homes are quick to make and green. But the big developers won't let it happen.

Who knows but by a 2020 election they might have increased the annual number of new homes being built to the number they promised before the 2015 election.

So far they've made little or no progress towards that manifesto promise.

It can't be that difficult to meet their promised home building target - after all British homes are the tiniest homes in europe if not the world.

Edited by billybong

Behind a paywall but this Times article sounds good too:

New land tax needed to burst housing bubble

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/7cdfc832-58e5-11e6-8ed5-6667a5bfca5c

I've got it, here's a quick summary:

Housing crisis stoking generational resentment. People want to own homes.

Housebuilding won't dent prices as long as we continue to subsidise demand - drop Help to Buy.

Stop cheap credit for landlords.

Abolish stamp duty and introduce a land value tax.

Didn't i read about new garden towns to be built for the last several years? i.e. Ebsfleet being one. Have we seen it start? hell no. Smoke and mirrors, move along.

One is Bicester is underway.

What they need to do is extend the M11 up the entire east side of the country and builds towns and cities from scratch. Spread the nation out a bit as its too crammed.

It's the Nimbies who are really going to be the hardest to win over.

The established landlords will be ok as they have passed down their prudent business model through generations - it's the small group of debt-befuddled Property 118ers who prospered under New Labour who will be gutted.

Builders should be fine and the donors from the world of finance will love the chance to spray more debt over a new generation.

^This

And the 118ers are probably not all Tory voters in any case.

Edited by LiveinHope

I've got it, here's a quick summary:

Housing crisis stoking generational resentment. People want to own homes.

Housebuilding won't dent prices as long as we continue to subsidise demand - drop Help to Buy.

Stop cheap credit for landlords.

Abolish stamp duty and introduce a land value tax.

A mate of mine works for the Times (well, Sunday Times). Perhaps he's been passing along my rants!

I am really worried that if the Tories don't do something then Corbyn will be elected.

At what price?

Fix the price of land with planning permission and you have fixed the high cost of housing......stop land hoarding and speculating and you have fixed the high cost of housing......it doesn't cost much to build a home, it is what it is built on that is the problem. ;)

One is Bicester is underway.

What they need to do is extend the M11 up the entire east side of the country and builds towns and cities from scratch. Spread the nation out a bit as its too crammed.

Yes...build more newtowns....but take the jobs to the people, not bring thousands of commuters daily back into London....total waste of time and money. ;)

I am pretty sure it is politics driving the process because the emphasis appears to be purely on home ownership rather than reforming the rental sector to improve tenants rights and capping rents. In the past government house building programs were as much about creating public rental housing as encouraging owner occupation. Now policy is being aligned to the electoral process since the Tories clearly see the decline in home ownership as an existential threat to their chances of forming a future government.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

if they can't decide where to build an airport runway...four years plus and counting, what hope is there in building the homes for working people that are much needed anytime in the near future? ;)

Didn't i read about new garden towns to be built for the last several years? i.e. Ebsfleet being one. Have we seen it start? hell no. Smoke and mirrors, move along.

Ebbsfleet has started, sadly. Ghastly place.