House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

Newsflash: Old People, Rattling Around In A Massive House You Don't Need And Couldn't Afford Without Massive Pensioner Benefits Is Your Human Right.

Off the back of Sunday supplement magazines. Balsa wood replica of the Saturn 5 rocket, glass sculpture of Alysa off Frozen, that kind of thing.

That's fine then :)

Good luck to them if they dont want to move they don't have to.

Only boomers i have a grudge against are landlords, and those who seem to think prices re as affordable as ever because interest rates are low and they were 15% when they were young, and the ones who bore on about how they moved into a doer upper and climbed the ladder.

Whats wrong with people choosing to live in a house they own and have paid for, and probably have been there for a large part of their life ? It's not their fault we're in this situation.

Blame the banks, politicians and greedy landlords.

I don't know how many are actually rattling around in massive houses. What do you call massive? 5 beds, 3 recep and an acre of garden? More likely a nothing-very-special family home. Though of course it seems terribly unfair to families who would dearly love to be able to afford any sort of family home.

I have neighbours who are both elderly and getting very doddery, in a far from huge 4 bed house where they've lived for over 40 years. TBH the faff and hassle of moving would probably finish them off - neither of them is well. And they would never be able to manage any of it on their own, or at all, now. Their son is on at them to move closer to him, though he doesn't live far away at all. Over their dead bodies, is more or less the response. They are just about managing, and (to them) OK as they are.

The only move I can realistically see is probably after one of them is gone - the other will most likely move to a sheltered flat or a care home - probably the latter.

Thing is, unless they have to for some reason, people often don't want to move while they are still young enough and have the energy to cope with it all. God knows moving is a monumental hassle even when you're young and fit.

And by the time they are that much older and don't have the energy, it's all too much to even think of.

I don't imagine my neighbours are in any way reliant on benefits, BTW.

Good luck to them if they dont want to move they don't have to.

Only boomers i have a grudge against are landlords, and those who seem to think prices re as affordable as ever because interest rates are low and they were 15% when they were young, and the ones who bore on about how they moved into a doer upper and climbed the ladder.

'Climbing the ladder' is the worst narrative ever! If people only saw that instead of renting a home from a landlord, you are renting money from a bank, they would see that a ladder doesn't exist! Oh, and 'building equity' is saving but most people don't understand what saving is unless a pile of bricks is involved!

I can never understand why this narrative is so easily bought by so many!

I'd love to find out what these massive pensioner benefits are? £119.30 per week? Please let us know.

The 'massive pensioner benefits' are a lifetime lived at a time when it was possible to work hard, buy a 4 or 5 bed family home and have it paid off before retiring, at which time you get a guaranteed income from the state for life, which rises at least as fast as inflation and probably faster.

Might not sound like much in return for a lifetime of hard graft, tax payments, and national insurance, but the problem is that younger people have been told in no uncertain terms that they won't be given the same opportunities no matter how hard they work. My generation has very little chance of a 'family home' except through inheritance.

Why isn't the pain shared equally? Why do politicians think they can get away with tuition fees and bank bailouts and help to buy and the destruction of council housing, just as long as no granny ever has to move house?

Why isn't the pain shared equally? Why do politicians think they can get away with tuition fees and bank bailouts and help to buy and the destruction of council housing, just as long as no granny ever has to move house?

Because most young people don't vote or even understand the political process beyond what they read on Facebook.

I don think they will be rattling around cause the chances are the house will be full up to the rafters with stuff.....;)

Indeed full of unopened parcels from J D Williams and half eaten meals from Wiltshire Farm foods. Plus all that correspondence from the Canadian Lottery. Nice to know the triple lock is being wisely used. Edited by crashmonitor