House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
babo456

Sky News Housing Crisis Green Belt To Blame?

Tax Payers Alliance spokesman Restrictions to building up the way and building out the way is the problem that is causing house prices to increase. If we build on Green belt land we could build more homes and solve the house price rise problem....

No mention of the several other well known factors at play.

He did poo poo HTB atleast.

Is building on green belt land part of the solution??

CUT IMMIGRATION TO VIRTUALLY ZERO FIRST.

Then have near zero immigration for 5+ years and we can get an idea of how many houses we might need.

CUT IMMIGRATION TO VIRTUALLY ZERO FIRST.

Then have near zero immigration for 5+ years and we can get an idea of how many houses we might need.

We can't cut out the Golden goose of never ending GDP increases !!

I keep hearing from the meeja that there's a shortage of housing. If all the people with 2 or more houses were forced to pay (a lot) for the privilege of owning more than one house the housing "shortage" would magically disappear.

There is no shortage in most places if you take away all the empty properties/holiday homes etc.

It's the availability of finance which pushes up prices.

Double,triple or even quadruple council tax for people with more than one house including BTL. LLs would get out as their "model" would not be viable. They can't keep putting up the rent (innit) beyond what people can afford or they won't get tenants.

Nothing to do with the green belt....all to do with squeezing as many as possible into London and the south east, when they should be sharing business, wealth and money out to other places in the UK......nobody forces people to live on top of each other, people choose to live high density.....they follow the money, money might buy stuff but does not always provide a quality of life. ;)

NO ONE WANTS TO MENTION THE BANKERS ( along with thatcher brown and cameroon ) ARE TO BLAME.

Nailed. When u ask anyone about the value of property they always quote "market" sets the price. Everyone and I mean everyone just assumes the money is there and does not think about where it comes from. If they restricted lending to a reasonable 3x one salary then simply housing would have to fall. People have so much to pay for today from education to saving for the future (twice if you're paying into a private pension). I'm pretty sure many young students have ideas of business but none of that can come to pass when housing takes everything today. The bankers are the root cause of this problem along with their fractional-reserve banking system and interest bearing fiat.

My mum assumes they were lending out grans pension pot or other peoples money to pay for housing loans. I think most people probably think the same.

It's true that gov ades them after all why should a field without planning permission selling for 10K and with 10M? part and parcel but no money from the bankers and that will drop.

Greenbelt isn't what a lot of people think, many confuse it with rural areas in general. It's generally only the land around large towns and cities to prevent sprawl in those areas.

I think it only covers about 10% of the total land in England.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/greenpolitics/planning/9708387/Interactive-map-Englands-green-belt.html