House Price Crash Forum
copydude

31 People Living In 4-Bed House. (Wembley)

Housing Officers Find Shack In London Shock Horror

Local Gov Source

Get over it already. It's London, innit.

‘We’ve seen pest-ridden slums and even beds in sheds before, but this is a new low,’ said lead member for housing, Cllr Harbi Farah.

‘The shack looks like something you would expect to see in a Hollywood depiction of a shanty town, not Zone 4 of London.’

He obviously doesn't get out much.

The landlord . . . is thought to have earned £80,000 a year in rent from the house

Hmmmm . . . divided by 31 people, 12 months . . . a bit over 1000 Polish zloty each a month . . . not bad if you need to send money home.

‘Our ground-breaking licensing scheme is helping us to tackle poor standards in the private rented sector’ added Cllr Farah.

'Helping us to tackle' He's careful not to say it's working. ;)

Back in the 60s London landlords were deemed evil for not renting rooms to immigrants from the Commonwealth, now they'll rent to immigrants at 6 to a room, good to see this nation progress!

4 bed semis are going for around £800,000 in high-flying and prosperous Wembley.

31 per house sounds about right. How else are you supposed to afford one?

- Brent has 2nd lowest average weekly wage in London

- Central London rent levels (average market rate for 3 bedroom house is £505 per week)

- 30% of Brent residents in employment are paid less than the LLW

- Around 4 in 10 children in the borough live in poverty

- Several wards in top 5% most deprived in the UK

- Borough most impacted by the benefit cap in the UK

[source trustforlondon.org.uk]

Edited by AvoidDebt

Question is how do you stop people from over-occupying a house?

Must be nearly impossible to enforce a certain number of people living in 1 property?

Of course rental property would be unaffordable if say 4 people rented an £800k property. How much would the rent have to be per person per month? £1,800 ? Try funding that on minimum wage!

Also homelessness is going to be a massive issue for councils if they start properly policing private rentals. One wonders why they are now starting to research this - Brexit?

Hmmmm . . . divided by 31 people, 12 months . . . a bit over 1000 Polish zloty each a month . . . not bad if you need to send money home.

Nowhere in the article is it mentioned that those sardinned tenants were immigrants, let alone Polish. Just sayin'.

Edited by kibuc

Nowhere in the article is it mentioned that those sardinned tenants were immigrants, let alone Polish. Just sayin'.

If you were a betting man would you put your money on the majority being indigenous Brits if i gave you odds of 10/1?

If you were a betting man would you put your money on the majority being indigenous Brits if i gave you odds of 10/1?

I'm a compulsive gambler 5 yeras clean now, I'm staying outta that shit :P

I get your point and you guys are probably right, but there seems to have been an increase in negative sentiment towards immigrants on the forum in recent weeks, so I thought it would be worth it to try and dent it a little bit, especially if the facts to support it are not exactly there.

landlord making £80k from a four-bed house?

Hmmm. Comparing the three-bed house I live in now (£700/month). London landlord would use the dining room as a bedroom, making 4 bedrooms (7 inmates). At 1983 rates they each pay sixtysomething percent of a good graduate salary, so maybe £20k at today's rates. £140k/year for the house.

Seems the London rent per property has halved in a generation in the HMO sector. London/HMO is truly a 'special' market.

I'm a compulsive gambler 5 yeras clean now, I'm staying outta that shit :P

I get your point and you guys are probably right, but there seems to have been an increase in negative sentiment towards immigrants on the forum in recent weeks, so I thought it would be worth it to try and dent it a little bit, especially if the facts to support it are not exactly there.

English people would squat in such a place and wouldn't pay rent.

I don't think peoples views on immigrants and immigration have changed since the referendum.

Can't see a few scrawny Brits picking fights with Polish builders or chirping up to Slovakian women. I believe the stories about this on the news are a complete fabrication. I voted out and i think the Poles on the whole are ok. My main gripe is many of them work in the hospitality industry and they're useless at being hospitable, they still have too much of the Commie in them to be tailor made for this industry.

Question is how do you stop people from over-occupying a house?

Must be nearly impossible to enforce a certain number of people living in 1 property?

Trivial - just give £500 flat payment for information that results in a prosecution - and give a specific example of a tenant (or recent tenant) who reports a house with occupation beyond what is safe (as well defined in numerous regulations*). They'd be snowed under.

*and the landlord was running a business, so ignorance is not a defence.

Trivial - just give £500 flat payment for information that results in a prosecution - and give a specific example of a tenant (or recent tenant) who reports a house with occupation beyond what is safe (as well defined in numerous regulations*). They'd be snowed under.

*and the landlord was running a business, so ignorance is not a defence.

Good idea, also confiscate the house like you would an uninsured car. The poor ******* who lived there, to me that is the real tragedy.

Good idea, also confiscate the house like you would an uninsured car. The poor ******* who lived there, to me that is the real tragedy.

They should be entitled to compensation from the landlord. To make it more of a punishment the landlord should have to go to the bank and withdraw cash from their current account and hand it over to the tenants in person, in £20 notes one at a time, while someone takes photos and publishes them on the landlord's facebook account.

What will happen to the tenants who were living there? Where will they go ?

The landlord should have to pay for removal costs, any additional deposit over what they'd been charged, and the first month's rent. If they can't find a place (and show evidence of trying) then the landlord should pay to put them up in a hotel until they do find a place.

[i don't like slumlords. Too many think they'll get away with it - and, given historic evidence, they're right to think it. We need to have a complete change in the way these sorts of landlords are identified, tried and punished]

At least the numbers will all show up on the census returns (for the official estimates of total population) - and in the annual council tax forms they have to fill in

;)

Edited by billybong

What will happen to the tenants who were living there? Where will they go ?

They are basically on there own unless they can demonstrate they are vulnerable, which is pretty tough. Even if they can prove they are vulnerable, basically having kids, they'd end up in a b&b.

They should be entitled to compensation from the landlord. To make it more of a punishment the landlord should have to go to the bank and withdraw cash from their current account and hand it over to the tenants in person, in £20 notes one at a time, while someone takes photos and publishes them on the landlord's facebook account.

I'm sensing some plotholes in this tale of fantasy :P