House Price Crash Forum

Pubs

justthisbloke

HOLA441
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I'm pretty lucky. Three free house pubs in the village. One "old man's" pub. One pub for ruffians and everyone banned from the other pubs. And one for normal alcoholics.

I doubt my pub has changed much over the last four hundred years - apart from the recent conversion of stables into restaurant. It has open fires, a snug, and buxom rose cheeked barmaids.

It must be nice living in the Shire.

HOLA443

Lots of the old man boozers in Edinburgh are being turned into poncy type bars with the ubiquitous "tap" somewhere in the name.

The names always amuse me! Used to be the Queen Elizabeth since time immoral, and now it's "Spazzer's"!

HOLA444

By the way jtb, is this pub called 'The Green Man' by any chance?

No - it wasn't haunted by the ghost of Thomas Underhill, either. Assuming you're referring to the Amis novel!

HOLA445
HOLA446

Living in the North-East, it is perhaps no surprise that the ex-colliery village I currently inhabit used to have eight pubs, but now has none at all.

For the joy of pub life I so used to enjoy, I now have to travel to the metropolitan sprawl that is Peterlee.

There I find the joy of the Wetherspoons - where the families, philosophers, poets and piss-heads happily co-exist in a fusion of cheap meals and even cheaper drink.

Orwell...? Well he's still sat by himself in the Mason's Arms in Easington Village - paying four quid a pint and debating the finer points of Chekov with Beryl the barmaid.

For what it's worth - Beryl reckons Chekov was much better in the third series of Star Trek...!

Time gentlemen please - let's see all yer glasses...

XYY

HOLA447

I was merely referring to your avatar actually but I do note you live in the Fens!

He's a giant rabbit! :blink:

HOLA448

Something about a pint of Tim Taylor in my local low beamed establishment in south Cambs makes me feel I have an affinity with the hobnail booted types who frequented it 400 years ago.. Luckily they didn't have to suffer the annoying dirge of Heart FM on the radio..

HOLA449

I was merely referring to your avatar actually but I do note you live in the Fens!

I'm sure that the Fens you refer to is an area of marshland somewhere South of Skegness - but you would be paying a resident of Hartlepool a great compliment by noting that they lived in The Fens.

The Fens is a most desirable private housing-estate built on the South end of the town in the late 70s, and is known locally as "Jam-and-Bread Hill" due to the fact that after paying the mortgage, jam-and-bread is about all you can afford to eat.

Should any monkeys be hung, you can guarantee this would be in a much scummier part of town - and could never happen anywhere near The Fens...

XYY

HOLA4410

Living in the North-East, it is perhaps no surprise that the ex-colliery village I currently inhabit used to have eight pubs, but now has none at all.

For the joy of pub life I so used to enjoy, I now have to travel to the metropolitan sprawl that is Peterlee.

There I find the joy of the Wetherspoons - where the families, philosophers, poets and piss-heads happily co-exist in a fusion of cheap meals and even cheaper drink.

Orwell...? Well he's still sat by himself in the Mason's Arms in Easington Village - paying four quid a pint and debating the finer points of Chekov with Beryl the barmaid.

For what it's worth - Beryl reckons Chekov was much better in the third series of Star Trek...!

Time gentlemen please - let's see all yer glasses...

XYY

Nice to see Peterlee is still maintaining its drinking places.

Id be well ready to down 10 pints after a shift down the relational calculus mine

HOLA4411

We don't really have any pubs near us.. only the modern type - more restaurant with bar tagged on.

Old fashioned smoke-filled drinking dens are pretty much legislated out of existence.

On the plus side, it's bad enough I bore my family to death without having a local pub to inflict it upon!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The edge of the Fens - dear God, not in the Fens. I've been there, man. I've seen what it's like. I've got the thousand yard stare.

Actually, I quite like being out on the fen. Endless horizon, massive skies. But a strangely threatening and scary landscape in some lights. My grandparents (not born Fen people[1], I hasten to add) lived on the fen - a massive house visible for miles across the flatness but entirely isolated. Scared the hell out of me as a nipper. I'm sure the sensory deprivation of the infinite view drove them into (happy) madness and alcoholism. They spent their afternoons in a haze of whiskey, shooting statues in the garden from deckchairs on the veranda.

[1] Now, Fen people is another topic altogether. I'm sure someone like Will Self would put together a wordy piece on how they are a product of their geography. It's a landscape that shouldn't exist - a seascape thrust back with artifice; land that shouldn't be there. A product of industry - yet rural. The people, like the sea, are barely tamed.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Gastropubs.

Stupid business.

Talk to arestuarant owner. They make their money selling overpriced wine. Food is a loss leader.

Booze has high margins, low capital reqrement. No need for salaried, stroppy chef, just big boobed 20 YO on NMW for a few hours at night.

Poncey middleclass morons.

HOLA4416

I can't drink any more than 3 or 4 pints of ale on an evening these days.

On Saturday evening my friend and I met for a drink before our prebooked curry. We finished our pints with half an hour to spare before going to the Indian restaurant. It takes a lot longer for me to get through the second pint so I just asked for a half. He got a half pint for himself too. We must have looked like a pair of sissies.

I have a pint of shandy these days and that's it. Last night I went mad and finished off with an extra half of lager. Not ill this morning, but my head was a bit funny in the middle of the night. I just don't think it agrees with me, but I quite like drinking a cold wet fizzy pint.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

To be fair, no-one's really going to miss the Spider's Web or Elm Bar, are they?

I actually think it is getting close to that point. A good shitty old mans boozer is quite a treat on occassion. Only so many poncy bars selling overpriced lager and 'hand cut chips' that a place can cope with before it gets boring.

HOLA4419

I actually think it is getting close to that point. A good shitty old mans boozer is quite a treat on occassion. Only so many poncy bars selling overpriced lager and 'hand cut chips' that a place can cope with before it gets boring.

Circle of life.

Dives will be in again soon.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The places you talk about have there place.....good to have choices......but they are artificial, man made, all the same, designed to make maximum profit with little cost as possible......the decor is staged like a new build is, the menu comes from a freezer and created and cooked precisely....the staff are almost robot like, trained to sell extras...... ;)

....edit to say.....do people really want to eat off pieces of wood and slate, have chips in buckets etc etc....all rather false and gimmicky imo.

HOLA4422

The places you talk about have there place.....good to have choices......but they are artificial, man made, all the same, designed to make maximum profit with little cost as possible......the decor is staged like a new build is, the menu comes from a freezer and created and cooked precisely....the staff are almost robot like, trained to sell extras...... ;)

....edit to say.....do people really want to eat off pieces of wood and slate, have chips in buckets etc etc....all rather false and gimmicky imo.

Indeed.

#wewantplates

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Gastropubs.

Stupid business.

Talk to arestuarant owner. They make their money selling overpriced wine. Food is a loss leader.

Booze has high margins, low capital reqrement. No need for salaried, stroppy chef, just big boobed 20 YO on NMW for a few hours at night.

Poncey middleclass morons.

Ask for tap water which they are obliged to serve you at no extra charge....and see the dirty looks you sometimes get.....good test of a good establishment. ;)

HOLA4425

I have a pint of shandy these days and that's it. Last night I went mad and finished off with an extra half of lager. Not ill this morning, but my head was a bit funny in the middle of the night. I just don't think it agrees with me, but I quite like drinking a cold wet fizzy pint.

Can I recommend a pint of soda and lime Sarah? I had been drinking various unstaisfactory soft drinks which were all way too sweet and then I discovered this one.

It's the perfect long cold drink and the soda entirely takes the edge off the sweet cordial.

It's now my standard drink for lunchtimes and when driving.

Archived