House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scunnered

Turkey Purge

I really just wanted to say "Turkey Purge", but I suppose we have to discuss it now.

It's difficult to keep up, but there's now a helpful Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Turkish_purge

Some highlights:

• 2,839 soldiers arrested up to the 16th of July.
  • 2,745 Turkish judges removed from duty and detained, 7,899 police officers suspended.
  • 15,200 state teachers suspended, plus another 21,000 private teachers.
  • The Council of Higher Education asked all deans of state and private universities, numbering 1577, to resign.
  • 50,000 passports cancelled up to the 30th of July.
  • The licenses of 24 radio and television channels were cancelled, then a few days later a further 16 television channels, 23 radio stations, 45 daily newspapers, 15 magazines and 29 publishing houses were shut down.
And people complain about restrictions on freedom of speech in the UK...

Really tame when compared to the purges at the turn of the twentieth century.

This all happened just after Germany officially recognised Turkey as being guilty of genocide of the Armenians. Maybe they're gearing up for a repeat.

I was told this afternoon that, allegedly, large numbers of Turkish academics and medics working in the UK have been ordered to return to Turkey.

I was told that, allegedly, there are suddenly an awful lot of such people seeking asylum in the UK.

I was told this afternoon that, allegedly, large numbers of Turkish academics and medics working in the UK have been ordered to return to Turkey.

I was told that, allegedly, there are suddenly an awful lot of such people seeking asylum in the UK.

And if they don't?

Are their families safe?

In this case I can't help thinking that that's a pretty reasonable response. "Please return to Turkey so that we can subject you to detention pending who knows what." Er, thanks very much, but no.

http://fortune.com/2016/07/30/traitors-cemetery-turkish-coup/

Rights group Amnesty International has said it had received credible evidence of detainees being subjected to beatings and torture, including rape, since the coup attempt—accusations roundly rejected by Turkish officials and the justice ministry.

The cemetery, guarded by private security guards and located inside the gated building site around 50 km (31 miles) east of Istanbul’s city center, has won some approval from some Turks but has largely drawn criticism.

“This practice is not right and our president Gormez has expressed his disapproval of it to the relevant authorities,” the spokesman for the Religious Affairs Directorate said.

Following the criticism, Karabekir, buried on Monday, may be the only person put to rest there.

“We have been told more people might be brought here but that hasn’t been the case,” said a security guard at the site.

Same people calling for Bush and Blair to be prosecuted,now silent.

Oh really?

Some of us here have been calling Erdogan an evil mass murderer since a long time ago. He has been slaughtering Turkish citizens (who happen to be of Kurdish ethnicity) for years now so this is nothing unexpected.

But yes, Bliar and Bush should be rotting in an Iraqi jail (western jails are too good for them) for the rest of their lives.

http://fortune.com/2016/07/30/traitors-cemetery-turkish-coup/

Not sure I see the logic of that argument.

Erdogan was Turkish PM at the time of the overthrow of Saddam. He publicly supported Bush and Blairs intervention in Iraq. Ironically, it was the now purged Turkish military that appears to have opposed it

http://www.iraqwatch.org/government/Turkey/turkey-erdogan-042103.htm

http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/16/obama-turkey-summit-opinions-columnists-erdogan.html

http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/erdogan-s-abandonment-iraq-940979577

The truth is that the west is highly selective about which Middle Eastern regimes it overthrows. It has a long record of overthrowing progressive governments in the region it did not like such as Mossadeq in Iran as well as dictators such as Saddam.

Hmmmmm they aren't calling for Erdogan to be prosecuted now (despite being very naughty)and they (not all) haven't previously. My bet is because he's a non white Mohammedan. It kinda helps keep the sjw's off your case.

Hmmmmm they aren't calling for Erdogan to be prosecuted now (despite being very naughty)and they (not all) haven't previously. My bet is because he's a non white Mohammedan. It kinda helps keep the sjw's off your case.

Well that might be the case but Saddam Hussein's Baath party was essentially secular and nationalist unlike Erdogans AKP which is an Islamic party. And with regard to Syria people like Hilary Clinton seem to regard deposing Assads Baathist regime as important as defeating religious Islamicists.

You SJW conspiracy theorists are really losing it.