House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
matey

Do Ea's Send There Mates Round For Viewing?

I always wonder if this is being done by EA's to show the seller there is interest.

Maybe someone could test this out for us? Follow the "viewer" back to the EA office--catching it all on video of course! "Watchdog" or its current equivalent might be interested but I am not sure if we have any consumer TV programmes left.

I always wonder if this is being done by EA's to show the seller there is interest.

If not their mates - they have friendly sellers on their books

Our landlord got an EA round for valuation in autumn, who had an 'interested buyer' ready to come and view the next day.

Sure enough she came round, thought the place was nice, and would consider puting in an offer when she gets back from holiday. Our landlord took the bait, signed up with the EA.

The 'buyer' went to India fo 3 months two days after, and it turns out the EA had used the same woman to get the house next door onto their books also. This interested buyer has had her place languishing on the market for nearly a year [recently reduced from £450k to $435k]

I know for a fact they send their business partners round to put in low offers if they think you are a "motivated seller", happened to me.

This interested buyer has had her place languishing on the market for nearly a year [recently reduced from £450k to $435k]

Crikey, that's one heck of a reduction! $435k is £240k by my reconing... ;)

Wait a few weeks and the government will be telling us that this is exactly why they are introducing the identity card system. Have you bought your iris analyser yet?

Think this is all a bit harsh. There are some (plenty I'm sure) decent EAs. The one trying to sell rented house for the landlord has apologiesed when he brings folk round to see it as he says they're just bored nosey people in need of some hobbies.

They vary enormously. We just had a house valued for sale and asked 4 agents round. The ones in the little green cars were wildly over optistic and very pushy. Also they charged the highest fee percentage and would not negotiate.

Think this is all a bit harsh. There are some (plenty I'm sure) decent EAs. The one trying to sell rented house for the landlord has apologiesed when he brings folk round to see it as he says they're just bored nosey people in need of some hobbies.

No, sorry you're wrong - they are all repugnant. :)

If not their mates - they have friendly sellers on their books

Our landlord got an EA round for valuation in autumn, who had an 'interested buyer' ready to come and view the next day.

Sure enough she came round, thought the place was nice, and would consider puting in an offer when she gets back from holiday. Our landlord took the bait, signed up with the EA.

The 'buyer' went to India fo 3 months two days after, and it turns out the EA had used the same woman to get the house next door onto their books also. This interested buyer has had her place languishing on the market for nearly a year [recently reduced from £450k to $435k]

It's on the market for a year and they reduce the price by less than 4%. Do they not think that if somebody would consider paying £435k then they would have put an offer in?

We were told once by an EA that if you havn't had an offer after 6 weeks you should drop the price by 10% and repeat until you do get an offer.

That actualy makes sense. I can't see why you'd offer more than 90% first off anyway... Unless the market was rising rapidly. Ahhh, it's not sunk in yet has it.

It's on the market for a year and they reduce the price by less than 4%. Do they not think that if somebody would consider paying £435k then they would have put an offer in?

Neighbour [who had some dealings with her] says she reluctant to drop the price, as she thinks 'its worth it' and in no hurry to move. I though she was a bit of a flake when she came round.

House in question

It says Sold STC

Oh - so it does! - thats sold very recently then

See like someone does think it's worth it

It says Sold STC

I have been watching a house near where I live for about 6 months with the same SOLD sign with STC in tiny letters. There are quite a few like this and I am not sure if they are put up by EAs to create a buying frenzy or if the houses are just stuck in hideously long chains. IN any event, a house is "sold" when contracts are exchnaged not before.

Slightly off the subject, but an estate agent recently asked me to view a GBP220k studio flat; this was despite having made it clear that I was looking for a one-bedder for a maximum of 170K.

I explained that it was too small and way over priced.

"I know," said the agent, "but to be honest we think she [the vendor] is taking the p***. The property has had exactly zero viewings"

He wanted me to go in an put in a low offer to give her a "taste of reality."

I politely declined.

Edited by Europa