House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Facebook

I don't have a Facebook account but sometimes read open Facebook pages of companies and organisations. Recently, though, Facebook seem to be making it difficult to view these pages without having a Facebook account by blanking out most of the page with a banner asking me to sign up to Facebook.

Is this Facebook's latest latest sales technique, encourage companies to use open Facebook pages for their information and them force people to sign up to Facebook to view them, or am I missing something?

They may have tightened it recently but it's always been limited to a degree if you're not a member.

I have an account so I can view three local groups but I don't "do Facebook" and if anybody asks I say I'm not on it so have zero friends.

I no longer get "Do you know x y & z" emails as I blocked them so get no hassle from having an account that I only use to be able to read all content those three groups. Nothing exciting, one's the local football team.

So sign up Bruce; it doesn't mean you have to participate in likes, lols, shares, "funny" videos and profound (if misspelt) cod philosophy.

It is all to do with the numbers viewing. They made a big thing in their results last week of a billion people per day viewing facebook - no doubt this figure has been enormously helped by them placing this banner across the screen.

IIRC twitter did something similar just before its share price went into decline. The market seems to gauge the share price of both twitter and FB by the number of eyeballs or sign-ups.

Ah, yes, twitter altered something in settings that resulted in people getting loads of adverts - the only way you could stop these was by signing into twitter and changing the settings. But that resulted in a big surge of twitter sign-ins which the company used to say "Hey, look at all the people signing in!" but it kinda marked a peak in the twitter share price.

( always admire "zero friends" In "real life!" I am unpopular :blink:

I don't have a Facebook account but sometimes read open Facebook pages of companies and organisations. Recently, though, Facebook seem to be making it difficult to view these pages without having a Facebook account by blanking out most of the page with a banner asking me to sign up to Facebook.

Yes it is their latest thing to be annoying. Seems a bit desperate but other sites like Instagram and Pinterest do it.

This is HTML5 allowing this isn't it?

It's a Div with some CSS trickery to overlay the div on top of the content when you scroll down. You can delete the div in firebug.