House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DEATH

I Hate Sky

My bill had phone call charges on it, even though I don't have a landline phone (have ADSL).

I don't even have an old phone lying around to plug in and nobody has been in my place for years.

So I refused to pay it and complained.

Some of the calls were to the speaking clock of all things. Why would anyone ring that these days, the tv, computer, mobile, atomic auto-updating clock on the wall, all show the exact time.

So my TV was cut off because of this "out-standing" balance, that was the last straw, phoned them and told them to cancel everything, tv, internet, phone.

They refused to accept the cancellation because of the out-standing balance! Computer says no.

After an hour the legal boffin said "we cannot accept a cancellation because you are in the cancellation process for not paying your balance."

Going to Virgin internet only, there are risks with these phone sockets!

About 4 million calls still made annually to the speaking clock IIRC from a feature on it a couple of weeks back.

Amazing.

I think the vast amount of bad publicity that Sky has receievd for not letting people simply cancel their contracts is putting people off signing up in the first place.

My Openreach engineer mate uses speaking clock for test calls. It may be worth querying whether some engineer nearby has racked up the calls on your number somehow..

Hope u get it successfully resolved.

My Openreach engineer mate uses speaking clock for test calls. It may be worth querying whether some engineer nearby has racked up the calls on your number somehow..

Hope u get it successfully resolved.

Yes that is what I think. The speaking clock isn't free, it's 50p a pop, maybe that's per minute too, in case you want to talk dirty to it for a bit.

About 4 million calls still made annually to the speaking clock IIRC from a feature on it a couple of weeks back.

Amazing.

Probably out of curiosity or a trip down memory lane.

Probably out of curiosity or a trip down memory lane.

I think half of the calls are BT engineers or people wrongly trying to access voicemail.

Yes that is what I think. The speaking clock isn't free, it's 50p a pop, maybe that's per minute too, in case you want to talk dirty to it for a bit.

Not sure I know how to talk dirty to a clock.

Maybe someone on here can give me some (ahem) *pointers*...! :)

Aw, suit yourselves...

XYY

Amazing.

I think the vast amount of bad publicity that Sky has receievd for not letting people simply cancel their contracts is putting people off signing up in the first place.

Indeed, I finally cancelled Sky 2 years ago after a major effort which included mailing 4 of their execs.

Since then I've had repeated calls offering bigger and bigger discounts.

The last one phone up a few days back and asked me to name a price I'd be prepared to pay to get Sky back. I didn't even low ball it, I just said they'd need to pay me £100 per month to have the rubbish content and Sky adverts contaminate my house again. He hung up after that.

The last one phone up a few days back and asked me to name a price I'd be prepared to pay to get Sky back. I didn't even low ball it, I just said they'd need to pay me £100 per month to have the rubbish content and Sky adverts contaminate my house again. He hung up after that.

Top man!

I agree, when I've seen it feels like I'm watching a US TV station where by some bizarre quirk all the presenters have British accents.

Indeed, I finally cancelled Sky 2 years ago after a major effort which included mailing 4 of their execs.

Since then I've had repeated calls offering bigger and bigger discounts.

Strangely enough, when we left Sky, having been a customer for twenty years, they accepted the cancellation without question and we had no further contact from them, I felt quite hurt :lol:.

What's particularly stupid about this is that they will lose hundreds of pounds of revenue for the sake of £4.50 (or whatever) in disputed call charges.

I still remember in the 90s we were inundated with American marketing gurus who were (quite sensibly) telling us the Customer is King...look after them once and keep them for life etc etc.

All that flew out the window a long time ago. Customer service in the UK is shocking IMO. All a result of chasing short term accounting targets and personal sales targets.

P

It is more like a grand a year they will lose and I have (had) been a customer for 15 years. I wont be paying on another platform for sports now there is no Roger Federer to watch. Can't stand the premier league footballers anymore. Had enough of the golf.

I will spend the money on drink and hookers instead. :wub:

Not sure I know how to talk dirty to a clock.

Maybe someone on here can give me some (ahem) *pointers*...! :)

Aw, suit yourselves...

XYY

You should phone MrPin's dorty talking clock!

You should phone MrPin's dorty talking clock!

On the third stroke.....

Gave up Sky a few years ago & it was notoriously difficult, Sky woman was rude when she realised I wasn't taking no for an answer.

Bills kept going up twice a year & they sent so much junk mail that you wouldn't see them, possibly the reason.

I really don't know why anybody has Sky these days. Freesat, unlimited 4g, £5 per month Netflix, cheap Internet. Sky are a ripoff dinosaur of yesteryear.

As for the speaking clock I read Police forces rack up huge bills for this, DM did a big goading article on it a year ago.

My bill had phone call charges on it, even though I don't have a landline phone (have ADSL).

I don't even have an old phone lying around to plug in and nobody has been in my place for years.

So I refused to pay it and complained.

Some of the calls were to the speaking clock of all things. Why would anyone ring that these days, the tv, computer, mobile, atomic auto-updating clock on the wall, all show the exact time.

So my TV was cut off because of this "out-standing" balance, that was the last straw, phoned them and told them to cancel everything, tv, internet, phone.

They refused to accept the cancellation because of the out-standing balance! Computer says no.

After an hour the legal boffin said "we cannot accept a cancellation because you are in the cancellation process for not paying your balance."

Going to Virgin internet only, there are risks with these phone sockets!

Another Sky transcript sheds light on the nightmare of cancelling

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/household-bills/11561053/Another-Sky-transcript-sheds-light-on-the-nightmare-of-cancelling.html

Guessing here ...

Something could've been making calls without telling you. You're likely to have things on your computer and smartphone that like to 'phone home, and something might be doing that literally. If you have a consumer-oriented Windows computer, it becomes extremely likely something on it is behaving badly.

Have you googled the numbers (other than speaking clock) you're supposed to have rung?

Is there anything like a pattern to your calls to speaking clock?

Or might you even have forgotten some ancient technology still sitting around? Like a fax machine?

I am sure I read that most calls to the speaking clock was traced back to council's etc/ public sector organisations. Or maybe that was calls to the 118 type numbers? Both are now almost unforgivable, one can do a free internet search for both if required.

BT bought EE. Hence the mobile deals too.

Right so wait, wut. BT Cellnet which became O2 is no longer anything to do with BT so they've bought EE which was a merger of T-Mobile and Hutchinson Orange, except Orange wasn't Hutchinson any more because they swapped it for Three or some such.

They should do a one off special Rock Family Trees about it, it would approach the complexity of the seminal Deep Purple / Rainbow / Blackmore / episode.