House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Licence For Iplayer 1 Sept

This has been mentioned in a thread before but as TV licensing were good enough to include a flyer with their usual letter demanding money with menaces I thought I'd share it.

Licence required for iPlayer except:

Radio (good, mostly what I use it for)

and

S4C, well done the Welsh for having their own way.

The maximum fine is £1,000 but bizarrely £2,000 in Guernsey and only £500 in Jersey. At £500 it's worth not bothering if you're only likely to get caught every five years.

As there were only three programmes I used to watch on it and two of them have either been ruined, Top Gear, or are ending (?ended), QI, then that just leaves Dr Who which has gone off a bit anyway.

I hope it does not affect get_iplayer. I scam off the radio and got repeats. That's it.

If these get stopped I'll stop paying licence. Terrestrial telly is just not watched in our house. Netflix and prime.

Suits me. I've given up on the Archers - the only BBC radio I was listening to (because of the Rob/Helen storyline) and Line of Duty was the last thing I regularly watched (before then Happy valley, before that Doctor Who). I haven't actually watched any moving image stuff for nearly a month anyhow - bar the odd trailer on YouTube, and dancing cat stuff that appears in my FB feed. Going to see BFG at the cinema later today.

I can wait for Doctor Who on blu-ray if need be.

I tried Kodi but hated the interface. I've got Fibre but it had connection issues too, so decided to ditch it and just stick with not watching any TV again :lol: Only thing I miss is Gardeners World or the occasional Louis Theroux.

I tried Kodi but hated the interface. I've got Fibre but it had connection issues too, so decided to ditch it and just stick with not watching any TV again :lol: Only thing I miss is Gardeners World or the occasional Louis Theroux.

I had a few issues when i first used it as well. I deleted everything reinstalled the latest version and use about half a dozen add-ons and i think it's the best tech value for money ever.

Tv and films, Stream all sources, Exedous, Pheonix.

Sports, Sports Devil, Zem tv.

I visit my 75 year old father once a month, he has a free licence.

I will watch stuff when there.

I am only interested in Masterchef and stuff about giraffes/penguins.

Interesting how that'll work if they try to licence iPlayer. Will it extend to over 75s? And if not, how will they manage it?

You'll be exploding with excitement next time a Masterchef contestant serves up giraffe fricasse with a penguin jus then :-)

So I get free TV now because I only ever watch S4C?

Free catch up. It's that whilst the BBC give S4C £76m a year they are actually an independent broadcaster and not part of the BBC so they are only using the iPlayer platform rather than any BBC reselling arrangement.

Well, I know Pobol y Cwm = People of the Valley, so that's a start.

Free catch up. It's that whilst the BBC give S4C £76m a year they are actually an independent broadcaster and not part of the BBC so they are only using the iPlayer platform rather than any BBC reselling arrangement.

Well, I know Pobol y Cwm = People of the Valley, so that's a start.

The Taffia always come up smelling of roses. Kerching!

This has been mentioned in a thread before but as TV licensing were good enough to include a flyer with their usual letter demanding money with menaces I thought I'd share it.

Licence required for iPlayer except:

[snip]

The maximum fine is £1,000 but bizarrely £2,000 in Guernsey and only £500 in Jersey. At £500 it's worth not bothering if you're only likely to get caught every five years.

I'm probably not following the news, but will iPlayer require a login id and password.

i.e. how do you demonstrate you are not using it if you have computer in the house.

I'm probably not following the news, but will iPlayer require a login id and password.

i.e. how do you demonstrate you are not using it if you have computer in the house.

Doubt it, they won't be able to put anything in place within a month.

I assume it will be the existing system where if you (in my case accidentally) click on a programme still being live broadcast it asks if you have a TV licence Y/N. When you click No it takes you to a screen to buy one.

This makes me laugh. All those ads from the 70s with a 'tracker van' round the corner, listening in through your letterbox...fast forward 40 years we have all these intelligence hubs and we still can do f all with it :)

In the age of digital only TV...how hard can it really be to track exactly who is watching what, and when??

P

I am waiting for them to use drones to catch people on floor 26 watching the telly.

Doubt it, they won't be able to put anything in place within a month.

I assume it will be the existing system where if you (in my case accidentally) click on a programme still being live broadcast it asks if you have a TV licence Y/N. When you click No it takes you to a screen to buy one.

So long as it's not guilty until proven innocent. I have no intention of paying a license fee as I don't watch any TV in any way.

I've never had telly or licence. But in recent times I have occasionally followed a link from the BBC news website that turns out to be a video. Is that entrapment?

Try the Wookie.

Seems perfectly fair and reasonable.

Presumably/hopefully a system where you enter a code from your license or some such each year, or a clever system where you have a license "account", and every time you renew the license it automatically updates the digital license.

If it's just gong to be an "honesty" system like I presume it is presently with live streaming, then it seems a bit pointless. If they are going to start tracking IP addresses or some such it's going to just going to cause more of the same civil aggravation as the notorious TVLA.

from the guidelines

Will I be covered to use BBC iPlayer when I’m on the go or abroad?

If you already have a TV Licence for your address, you will be covered to download or watch iPlayer when you’re on the go, provided the device you’re using to watch or download programmes isn’t plugged into the electricity mains at a separate address. If the device is plugged in at a separate address, you will need to be covered by a licence at that address. http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence

So if I use a phone/tablet and plug it in at work or on a train, then I can download anything without needing a TV licence.

On the other hand, if someone visits you and plugs in their phone and starts watching TV you could theoretically be landed with a huge fine for not having a TV licence.

I don't think they have fully thought this one through.

What if you plug the device in to charge it, then unplug it and watch TV, does that count?

from the guidelines Will I be covered to use BBC iPlayer when Im on the go or abroad?

If you already have a TV Licence for your address, you will be covered to download or watch iPlayer when youre on the go, provided the device youre using to watch or download programmes isnt plugged into the electricity mains at a separate address. If the device is plugged in at a separate address, you will need to be covered by a licence at that address. http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence

So if I use a phone/tablet and plug it in at work or on a train, then I can download anything without needing a TV licence.

On the other hand, if someone visits you and plugs in their phone and starts watching TV you could theoretically be landed with a huge fine for not having a TV licence.

What if you plug the device in to charge it, then unplug it and watch TV, does that count?

It makes it completely unenforceable. It could be anyone streaming iPlayer through your router. They'll get laughed out of court.

from the guidelines

Will I be covered to use BBC iPlayer when I’m on the go or abroad?

If you already have a TV Licence for your address, you will be covered to download or watch iPlayer when you’re on the go, provided the device you’re using to watch or download programmes isn’t plugged into the electricity mains at a separate address. If the device is plugged in at a separate address, you will need to be covered by a licence at that address. http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence

Is there no limit to the number of devices and in different locations as long as they are not plugged into the mains electricity?

Setup a base licence and all the other's mobile. Sir how do you recharge the device? Solar power :)

Good pick up Habeas Domus.

So that means that if I have friends or family over, and children are often on their tablets, then this means that I have to continually police what they are doing in case they watch iPlayer or live TV whilst charging their devices!

That's mental.