House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Leodhasach

Student Numbers

The number of Scottish student admissions has fallen by 2.4% this year. Remember they don't have top-up fees to pay. Whilst the number of other UK students admitted this year has risen, it's been predicted that UCAS applications will be considerably down. If potential students are beginning to realise that they're going to burden themselves with debt for very little extra earning potential (particularly in the case of "Arty" degrees), will the much hyped BTL market in Uni towns start suffering? Thoughts?

But the Unis have also cottoned on to student accomdation now and throw up masses of cheap units with rooms for £80 a week with broadband etc on tap, secure parking, so they're taking the rental incomes away from btl.

With fewer UK students there'll be less demand on the traditional house and bedsit btl market imo. Although all those uk graduates have to live somewhere so maybe that'll even it out.

No, because the Unis will just go and target Asian students - in fact, they prefer them anyhow as they bring in more money.

That's true, but there's only so many Asians can afford £12K in fees a year+accomodation, and there's only so many scholarships to go round in Singapore, Korea etc. At the risk of sounding racist, I always found that foreign students, particularly S.E. asians, prefered halls to private flats anyway.

Leodhasach,

I've mentioned this a few times, I've pencillled in Oct 2006 (ish) as the time when reality hits BTL land in nealry every university town across the country, it is becoming quite clear now that a tertiary education is expensive, for many it does not guarantee anything like the perceived job advantages and that student lets have played a large part in extended HPI acorss the country. Colleges and Universities will continue to expand halls of residence to cash in on their student base (this will be especially so if student numbers start to decline).

TMT - not long ago there was an article about falling foreign applcations - like everything else it is getting too expensive, there may also be a factor that ratcheting up student numbers has led to a noticely reduction in quality fo teh courses. Besides that how many external students will want to pay a fortune to do a degree in media studies?

Another factor - there is an increase in students going to local colleges and staying at home - tutition fees is another kicker in this direction.

Edited by OnlyMe

That's true, but there's only so many Asians can afford £12K in fees a year+accomodation, and there's only so many scholarships to go round in Singapore, Korea etc. At the risk of sounding racist, I always found that foreign students, particularly S.E. asians, prefered halls to private flats anyway.

Not sure about preference, but you don't need to come to the UK to get a UK degree anymore. My department is offering a degree from the university, but it is taught in China. With tales of horror coming back about student behaviour in the UK (one student, funded by a goverment official(!) wrote a book or blog, I forget which), Mum and Dad are getting less likely to send their kid to the UK.

And why houseshare anymore when you can rent a 1/2 bedroom luxury flat at bargain prices?

btp

owner-occupation and tertiary education are twin cultural "pillars" supporting the aspirations of today's bourgeois Brits.

Both are due for severe "corrections" in their perceived market value.

owner-occupation and tertiary education are twin cultural "pillars" supporting the aspirations of today's bourgeois Brits.

Both are due for severe "corrections" in their perceived market value.

Just had a thought.....if 50% of 18 year olds go to university now, and not all of those with IQs over 100 go, then there must be many people at university with below average IQs.

I wonder how many fall below say 80, and would be classed as being impaired in some way?

No, because the Unis will just go and target Asian students - in fact, they prefer them anyhow as they bring in more money.

True, but UK Ed is no longer a preferred supplier as the quality of university education in the country is highly variable at best. Numbers of foreign applications were dropping even when I was post doc and that was 6 years ago. Can't see why they'd have picked up since then.

Anyone still in academia who knows what's happening to foreign applications?

Just had a thought.....if 50% of 18 year olds go to university now, and not all of those with IQs over 100 go, then there must be many people at university with below average IQs.

I can vouch for this. And I went 10 years ago.

I know at the University I work for there was a big drop last year in foreign applications.

This can only get worse as fees increase as do visas and there is now an ongoing trend of universities asking for a "deposit" of several thousand pounds off non-EU students before the students are accepted on a course.

Apparantly this will become mandatory in a few years as the Government is planning to have a points based system for Visa applications and a deposit paid will be a few points in your favour...

Also agree the BTL brigade are going to struggle. Lots of student flats being built - most would rather live somewhere new and central (even if shoddily built) than a damp terraced house that hasn't been refurbished for 30 years...

The Masked Tulip

As a former lecturer at a red brick university in the Midlands

I agree with you on foreign students. You can charge the popeple a

lot more and most prefer to live in halls throught the duration of

their studies.

The BTL are definately losing out.

The Masked Tulip

As a former lecturer at a red brick university in the Midlands

I agree with you on foreign students. You can charge the popeple a

lot more and most prefer to live in halls throught the duration of

their studies.

The BTL are definately losing out.

I work at a university and the feeling, within my dept. at least, is that foreign student numbers have topped out. Home student numbers have been static for a while but applications are down on this time last year (probably due to fees coming in).

But the Unis have also cottoned on to student accomdation now and throw up masses of cheap units with rooms for £80 a week with broadband etc on tap, secure parking, so they're taking the rental incomes away from btl.

You'll find that most of the accomodation for students (especially the new-build, broadband enabled £80 a week stuff) is not owned by the universities at all. Even the older blocks that used to be owned by the universities have been sold in many instances. In Nottingham for instance, there are new private developments for students all over the place - I wouldn't be suprised that when they are all on stream they are over subscribed. Add in 100's, if not 1000's of shoebox newbuilds - this has got to split the pie with the BTL crowd.

I am already seeing "1st month free" on the shoeboxes - completely unheard off before here, and a lot are obviously empty. I am also perceiving a slight decrease in (advertised) rents. I don't see how this is going to go any other way - I reckon it will be obvious by about Q3.

Anyone have any hat shaped cake recipes?

Mrliberty

I think the pension funds have done a few deals. The university provides the land, gets a cut and the PF puts up the money for the build - obviously lots of variations around that theme.

Thing is all the accommodation supply should have been put in BEFORE or DURING the expansion of numbers, that would have largely prevented the destruction of the housing ladder in cities all over the country. Too late now, one part of the population is tapped out on debt andother part is so far behind prices that the housing ladder and all the services and industries that rely on it are going to be devoid of income for years. I hope they saved a bit of money whilst making hay at everybody else's expense.