House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sam

Beat The Baliff..very Educational

Programme on now called beat the Baliff, it should be compulsary viewing for everyone.

It is not often i say this, but the BBC should be proud of this one.

Sam

This mornings was fab. Couple living in his mums house with 45k of debt. Hysterically, after crying cos she thought they'd taken her quilt, she consoled her bf with saying he could perhaps see his personal trainer less.

This mornings was fab. Couple living in his mums house with 45k of debt. Hysterically, after crying cos she thought they'd taken her quilt, she consoled her bf with saying he could perhaps see his personal trainer less.

Excellent; I love the daily beat the bailiff thread. Were there any pet repossessions?

Programme on now called beat the Baliff, it should be compulsary viewing for everyone.

Sam

Debt ridden dumbo asked why he became a baillif, and the guy replied bcos more and more people are borrowing and gettng into debt and the business prospect is good. :)

This programme is misleading cr*p - yesterday the baliff was shown bringing a locksmith to break into the person's house - this is illegal baliffs are not allowed do this and in reality both the baliff and locksmith could be charged with breaking and entering - baliffs have no right of entry even if they have a court summons they have to be admitted peacefully or get through an open door or window. Today they were shown taking sofas and chairs again not allowed 90% of the stuff taken would in reality be left by the baliff because they are worthless.

Its all very well sneering at people in debt but they need factual information and help in their situation because the dire indebtness of people in this country is going to effect us all and I for one object to having my licence fee used to make misleading, condesending rubbish like this.

This programme is misleading cr*p - yesterday the baliff was shown bringing a locksmith to break into the person's house - this is illegal baliffs are not allowed do this and in reality both the baliff and locksmith could be charged with breaking and entering - baliffs have no right of entry even if they have a court summons they have to be admitted peacefully or get through an open door or window. Today they were shown taking sofas and chairs again not allowed 90% of the stuff taken would in reality be left by the baliff because they are worthless.

Its all very well sneering at people in debt but they need factual information and help in their situation because the dire indebtness of people in this country is going to effect us all and I for one object to having my licence fee used to make misleading, condesending rubbish like this.

Are they allowed to take cats?

I don't think the program is particularly constructive at all... its definately been made for its entertainment value - for those of us who can sit there and be really horrified (a) how much money people waste and (B) how stupid they are and © how they just don't get it that they can't spend more than they can afford and it has to stop!

Its also made us want to go and plunder some poor fool's stuff at auction - so how do you find a good bailiff auction?

If it was aimed at solving people's debts its take the last bit more seriously and help them work out a budget - but it just says "you need to budget" rather than explaining how to do that, and how this managed debt process works too - and where to find out about that.

There are no help line numbers or the usual "if you have been affected by the isssues in this program then this is the number to call" so it is a cynical look at the problem

Sparkle, possibly you are being a bit too harsh. At least the programme is addressing the main problems that so many people find themselves in. That is, how did you get into this debt and more importantly, how are you going to get out.

I'm sure your facts are right about the baliffs, but I think you may be missing the point. In this day and age with all the dumbed down rubbish on the telly, here is a programme that although watchable for the masses, cuts to the bone. It's all well and good giving out the advice, the main thing that needs to be addressed is the reality check. Every time the couple laughed at their spending the presenter kept a serious face and told them in no uncertain terms this ain't no laughing matter.

For once, well done to the BBC.

I don't think the program is particularly constructive at all... its definately been made for its entertainment value - for those of us who can sit there and be really horrified (a) how much money people waste and (B) how stupid they are and © how they just don't get it that they can't spend more than they can afford and it has to stop!

Its also made us want to go and plunder some poor fool's stuff at auction - so how do you find a good bailiff auction?

If it was aimed at solving people's debts its take the last bit more seriously and help them work out a budget - but it just says "you need to budget" rather than explaining how to do that, and how this managed debt process works too - and where to find out about that.

There are no help line numbers or the usual "if you have been affected by the isssues in this program then this is the number to call" so it is a cynical look at the problem

It's people’s misery for entertainment.

Also reflects that there are a lot of people so desperate to get on the telly even if it publicises their stupidity.

Sparkle, possibly you are being a bit too harsh. At least the programme is addressing the main problems that so many people find themselves in. That is, how did you get into this debt and more importantly, how are you going to get out.

I'm sure your facts are right about the baliffs, but I think you may be missing the point. In this day and age with all the dumbed down rubbish on the telly, here is a programme that although watchable for the masses, cuts to the bone. It's all well and good giving out the advice, the main thing that needs to be addressed is the reality check. Every time the couple laughed at their spending the presenter kept a serious face and told them in no uncertain terms this ain't no laughing matter.

For once, well done to the BBC.

Were there any numbers given out for cccs or national help debtline NO was it misleading and in certain aspects simply lying YES - when kristy and phil come on the telly tell us there will be no hpc MEW MEW MEW buy another home it can only go up up up - we are all outraged we feel is misleading, lying making fools of people but but apparently when the bbc put out misleading cr*p like this its just entertainment.

I am complely correct about the baliffs as I am a debt advisor and paid to know about these things, people get into debt for a number of reasons sickness, redundancy etc as well as spending recklessly the people on this show may be happy to go on and be laughed at by the nation but there are people at home at their wits end feeling there is no way out and then the watch this pile cr*p it could push them over the edge

P1s5 off SPARKLE.

If you actually watched some of these programs (which i unfortunately do) you would have little or no remorse for the majority of these people.

Some of the dire expense I have seen on these programs:

Personal trainers

Steroids (£1400 a month)

300+ dvds at full price.

£20,000 worth of electrical equipment for a guy earning £15,000

BMWs for cleaners etc.

Yes it may be a fault that they are retarded but when im saving the coppers every week, no I dont have any pity for these people.

Most of them dont own a house or have any real assets but yet manage to run up debts into hundreds of thousands and in the end it is people like us who pay.

P1s5 off SPARKLE

charming fairly typical of some of the low lifes on this board - how do you make out you are paying for their debt then - how come you are at home watching them not got job then??

Edited by *sparkle*

Sparkle - where you think debt goes when people go bankrupt or stop paying their debts?

The program should show phone numbers for the overburdened debt lines.

charming fairly typical of some of the low lifes on this board - how do you make out you are paying for their debt then - how come you are at home watching them not got job then??

Sparkle there are many ways in which we all end up paying for this kind of reckless behavior. We pay more for borrowing, we pay more for consumption and we’ll pay even more when the wheels come off of UK PLC.

I appreciate that you must come across many heart breaking stories in you line of work. However could you really feel sorry for any of people that have been featured on this programme? I think it's ok to laugh at them, I think it's ok to put them on telly so everyone can laugh at them.

*sparkle*

These people have made their bed and its tough.

Nobody forces anyone to take out debts. To some

of us on this website debt is a swear word.

Owner occupier, debt free and major shareholder

in several debt management companies (Baliff firms to you)

Hi Sparkle

It's good to see that you are taking on the role of a tart with a heart, and i also feel some sympathy for what is and is about to happen to many millions of people with high debt.

The only thing is though, many of these people(not all) have been partying like there is no tommorrow, i sometimes wondered if i should get myself all cashed up with cheap money and join them, but i did'nt.

I do not know if anyone else has shared my experience of the last few years, i have lived on what i earn, you some how feel like second class because you do not have all the trappings of those that have borrowed.

It has been hard, but in the back of my mind i always knew that this party would end, and that i would be in a much better postion than those who went on a spending binge.

Those who over-borrowed laughed yesterday, the likes of me will laugh tommorrow.(but not at the misfortune of others i might add)

Sam

Im more of a jeerer than a sneerer, they need factual information like " you know all that crap you thought you owned, well you dont the bank does".

What one of the earlier programs said about baliff entry was that once the balif has crossed the threshold then they can return at any point , they can force entry when you are not there, they can take pretty much anything they want, except for things essential to daily life (food, if you need transport for work - a car, if you have a medical complaint they cant take whatever aid you have) other than that they are free to take whatever they deem to be of resale value. They could smash the door in but they have to leave the property secure, so it would mean getting someone in to fix the door +costs.

And rightly so, the *things* they have do not belong to them they belong to the bank and the bank is taking back its property, simple as that, if it means you have to sit on the floor who cares, the sofa wasnt yours in the first place.

You enter into a contract to pay for the products you are given, when you are in breach of that contract then you have defaulted, the *stuff* just wasnt yours in the first place THATS what people need to get thier heads around. They are not taking anything of yours at all, you were using something of thiers and they have given you plenty of notice that they want it back.

If i lent you £10 and you promised to pay me back by the end of the week, you even signed abit of paper saying so, after a month you have not paid me back but worst still you have gone and borrowed more money off other people to buy MP3 players, a New pair of Nike Air's etc am i not entitled to get my money back?

Now anyone who i lend money to will pay £11 for every £10 they want to borrow, that way when 1 in 11 of you dont pay me atleast im not losing money. Do i let you off the hook now? No chance otherwise no one would ever pay me back, i will reclaim my £10 back by any means possible within the context of the law. If this means taking any assest you have in your possession then so be it. Its MY money not yours.

If it was a struggling single mother of 3 who is trying to make ends meat who has knowingly got herself into debt trying to feed her kids then things would be differnt, i would still have to make a point of reclaiming my money but i would take it as 50p a year for 20 years.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for the people on that baliff program, they are even knowingly going on national TV to say about what a mess they are in instead of just sorting it out with Citizens Advice or something simular. Yet you dont like people sneering.

EDITED:

typo king

Edited by theChuz

So long as people can borrow vastly more than they could ever repay, spend it on tat and then have people fawning over them saying 'poor wittle victim, we should stop the nasty bailiffs taking their sofa', they'll do so. If we don't want people to do that, then we need to ensure that they're punished when they do: it's as simple as that.

The more people laugh at those who go heavily into debt to buy tat and then have the bailiffs take their sofa away, the less likely people are to get into that situation in the future.

Did anyone happen to see the MORON on Spendaholics (BBC3) last night?

Despite being poor and in debt, she had a 'phobia' of cheap goods, so she could only buy designer clothes and drive BMWs etc :D

Thats not true under cirtain circumstances the bailiff can force entry.

Did anyone happen to see the MORON on Spendaholics (BBC3) last night?

Despite being poor and in debt, she had a 'phobia' of cheap goods, so she could only buy designer clothes and drive BMWs etc :D

That actually makes me angry just at the thought of it; I can't be getting enough sleep.

Would I be able to claim in a court of law that I had a phobia of idiots? Would it be ok then to roam the streets with my idiot stick dealing justice to the idiots?

What one of the earlier programs said about baliff entry was that once the balif has crossed the threshold then they can return at any point , they can force entry when you are not there, they can take pretty much anything they want, except for things essential to daily life (food, if you need transport for work - a car, if you have a medical complaint they cant take whatever aid you have) other than that they are free to take whatever they deem to be of resale value. They could smash the door in but they have to leave the property secure, so it would mean getting someone in to fix the door +costs.

Look final post on this, if I could just make myself clear I am not condoning or supporting the people who get themselves into debt recklessly my argument about this programme is the lies and misrepresentation, just because people owe a lot of debt doesn't give the bbc the right to tell them a pack of lies

I also saw last nights spendaholics she didn't need therapy she need a smack in the face, I have never seen its equal and someone like her should have a visit from the baliffs she would certainly get no sympathy from me if she arrive in my office. All I am saying is you complain about spin on hpc and yet say it ok to put out rubbish like beat the baliffs it doesn't make sense and gives the impression that people here aren't concerned about people buying houses at top of the bubble or concerned about ftb's more when is it going to crash so i can walk over the dregs and buy myself a cheap house