House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rollover

Divorced Dads Still Paying The Mortgage

Separated from the kids, and, oh yes, having to share a bathroom with other blokes.

Paul Adams, 42, runs an entertainment business and is forced to live in a house with other divorced dads as he still pays his ex-wife's mortgage, meaning he can't afford his own place. That means he misses out on spending time with his daughter. Waking up yet again in the stark box room he now called home, Paul Adams was forced to contemplate the ruins of his life. His ten-year marriage was over. His cherished only daughter Devon, who had been eight when her parents split, lived with her mother.

Situations like Paul’s are now so common that flat-sharing website SpareRoom.com has 100,000 customers in their late 40s - a threefold increase in six years - and almost 40,000 over 55, both male and female.

I say to all men to think very carefully before getting married, research MGTOW and mens rights and see how badly the game is stacked against you.

Mens suicide rate is 5x that of women and more in some places. Many attribute this to the treatment of men by divorce courts as the leading cause.

There is no value in men getting married anymore.

It's worth remembering that the enemy is the divorce laws and not women.

A "marriage strike" until they're reformed would be a good idea. I would happily get married but not with the current divorce laws.

Possible growth area, eh - houseshares/HMO's for divorced blokes only.

Living room with a nice big TV, all the sports channels, a Playstation 4, decent sound system. Make sure each house has blokes roughly the same age (say plus or minus 5 years).

Heck they might enjoy it so much they might not want to live alone again!

It's worth remembering that the enemy is the divorce laws and not women.

A "marriage strike" until they're reformed would be a good idea. I would happily get married but not with the current divorce laws.

Yup absolutely and some of the biggest fighters in the mens rights camp are women. The division of gender is being exploited by various groups to suit there own agendas and for profit.

I think a marriage strike is already happening as more and more women find that men are simply walking away. Its certainly happening in japan right now.

Marriage was a tool used by the government to extract resource from men, without a family a man is simply not going to need to try as hard.

Marriage should be a partnership for raising children too but the state has done everything it can to become the daddy instead and this has been disastrous.

Japan openly discussed a law to heavily tax single men if they did not get married.

This is why you should never ever contemplate marrying a woman who is financially dependent on you.

This is the point- make sure they don't give up

Work, make it quite clear that the marriage is over if they become dependent on you.

The first words my ex said to me was "I'll alway work" first thing she did when we got married was stop working. 18 years later I'd finally had enough of being worked to death so she could sit and watch daytime tv in a house that was a tip. Also the kids were in Secondary school and almost independent.

Of course as soon as I left she demanded everything. Mortgage free house, half my pension- I get credit card debts I didn't know about etc. £740 month maintenance etc. When my father died after final divorce demanded I gave Inheritance to kids (forget it)

Think that pisses me off of course is that she is now back working and quite wealthy all thanks to me and my desire not to leave my kids when they were small.

Don't get married

Bascially this. It's a crap-shoot. 50/50 spin of the roulette wheel. The ball lands on red, you stay 'happily' married. It lands on Black, you are divorced and lose most of your money.

Really not worth it unless you have a head for serious gambling.

This is the point- make sure they don't give up

Work, make it quite clear that the marriage is over if they become dependent on you.

The first words my ex said to me was "I'll alway work" first thing she did when we got married was stop working. 18 years later I'd finally had enough of being worked to death so she could sit and watch daytime tv in a house that was a tip. Also the kids were in Secondary school and almost independent.

Of course as soon as I left she demanded everything. Mortgage free house, half my pension- I get credit card debts I didn't know about etc. £740 month maintenance etc. When my father died after final divorce demanded I gave Inheritance to kids (forget it)

Think that pisses me off of course is that she is now back working and quite wealthy all thanks to me and my desire not to leave my kids when they were small.

Horrific - I wonder would it be possible for marriage wary folk to have the ceremony, but not have a 'state' marriage - i.e. have a legal contract drawn up which covers stuff like inheritance in the event of one of you dying, but denies the right of one of you to financially rape the other.

Horrific - I wonder would it be possible for marriage wary folk to have the ceremony, but not have a 'state' marriage - i.e. have a legal contract drawn up which covers stuff like inheritance in the event of one of you dying, but denies the right of one of you to financially rape the other.

I married again last year, but it is the case of there being no children and no way in which I could be financially disadvantaged by a divorce (she is well off)

The bachelor's dilemma. To marry in pursuit of happiness and risk destitution and squalor, or to play safe and die alone but rich and comfortable.

I'm reminded of this quote from Robert Heinlein.

"Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet you can't win."

We all die alone. I don't buy this idea that people who get married always die surrounded by kids and family And anyway...Death is one moment, life is so many of them.

We all die alone. I don't buy this idea that people who get married always die surrounded by kids and family And anyway...Death is one moment, life is so many of them.

I think on balance I would choose to have children again if I had my life over. If nothing else it is fascinating to watch the development of a human intelligence from scratch

Possible growth area, eh - houseshares/HMO's for divorced blokes only.

Living room with a nice big TV, all the sports channels, a Playstation 4, decent sound system. Make sure each house has blokes roughly the same age (say plus or minus 5 years).

Heck they might enjoy it so much they might not want to live alone again!

And a stripper pole!

Don't forget the stripper pole!

I think on balance I would choose to have children again if I had my life over. If nothing else it is fascinating to watch the development of a human intelligence from scratch

The best way seems to be that of Christian Ronaldo but you have to be very rich to do that.

He has girlfriends and relationships (yes, I've heard the rumours but we don't actually know) but he has had his children by surrogate mothers and has them looked after by paid staff.

I have no reason to believe that he is anything other than a good father and his children (?child) is happy.

He will always have full custody of those children and does not risk being bankrupted by a divorce as so many once wealthy footballers are.

That's absolutely perfect IMO.

But you do need to be very rich to do it that way.

Bascially this. It's a crap-shoot. 50/50 spin of the roulette wheel. The ball lands on red, you stay 'happily' married. It lands on Black, you are divorced and lose most of your money.

Really not worth it unless you have a head for serious gambling.

And of the 50% who don't divorce I wonder how many are unhappy but stay together due to finances, kids, fear of being alone etc

And of the 50% who don't divorce I wonder how many are unhappy but stay together due to finances, kids, fear of being alone etc

Add to that the kids are really just genetic hybrids inheriting 50% from each parent.

Cloning is the way to go if you truly want to reproduce yourself...

The best way seems to be that of Christian Ronaldo but you have to be very rich to do that.

He has girlfriends and relationships (yes, I've heard the rumours but we don't actually know) but he has had his children by surrogate mothers and has them looked after by paid staff.

I have no reason to believe that he is anything other than a good father and his children (?child) is happy.

He will always have full custody of those children and does not risk being bankrupted by a divorce as so many once wealthy footballers are.

That's absolutely perfect IMO.

But you do need to be very rich to do it that way.

Hadn't thought of it like that, although I'm not sure it is actually what's going on there. I think the reality is that he's gay but wanted child/ren.