House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Housing Benefit Changes Alert

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/press/article/1188/important_changes_to_housing_benefit_rules

Until recently claimants were allowed to spend up to 13 consecutive weeks living away from the home they claim Housing Benefit for.

But from July 28 those rules are changing with claimants now allowed to spend just four consecutive weeks living away from the property if they are outside Great Britain.

There's a lot that raises concern in that press release from 2 different viewpoints

“The people we think are most likely to be affected are those going on religious pilgrimages for extended periods or people who spend time significant lengths of time staying with relatives or friends.

You have to ask if you are on housing benefit how you can afford to go on a pilgrimage ....

There are a number of exemptions to the rules including, for example, for members of the armed forces.

And looking at it from the other side do we really not pay our armed forces enough to live on without requiring them to claim in work benefits and housing benefit

I didn't even know this was a thing - a house could be EMPTY for up to 13 weeks and the tax payer pays its rent? Have I read it right? And now it's "only" 4 weeks? So a house can be empty for a month, and the tax payer pays the rent for an empty house?

As mentioned up thread, how do these people afford to go on pilgrimages? Have they not thought about going on a pilgrimage to their local job centre?

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/press/article/1188/important_changes_to_housing_benefit_rules

Until recently claimants were allowed to spend up to 13 consecutive weeks living away from the home they claim Housing Benefit for.

But from July 28 those rules are changing with claimants now allowed to spend just four consecutive weeks living away from the property if they are outside Great Britain.

Why 4 weeks? How many people who work get to spend 4 weeks abroad? It should be zero weeks, hopefully that will be the future.

See it's what I said early, it's bloody pensioners again getting free houses, housing benefit and going abroad - they can even get free buses to airports!. Bloody pensioners with there free stuff and holidays! Hopefully we can cut their pensions next, and if they go to hospital they'll loose there houses too, put em in homes is what I say. They are happiest when playing bingo and being fed mashed food.

Blooming right, If they want to go abroad for any reason their benefits are stopped the day they leave and reluctantly re started the day they get back.

Also I agree, if a pensioner goes abroad they should have their pensions stopped.

Seriously, you lot need to think a bit before you go on your latest rants about how things are likely to affect you personally, if not now, the next time the social system is chipped away at. Why shouldn't a person who is terminally ill go on a pilgrimage and then have a home on their return, why shouldn't someone who is sent to prison for a trivial offence come back to their family and home after a five week prison sentence (this is minor before you all start spitting venom about crucifixion being to good for 'em) rather than being homeless and having to rob to survive.

I didn't even know this was a thing - a house could be EMPTY for up to 13 weeks and the tax payer pays its rent? Have I read it right? And now it's "only" 4 weeks? So a house can be empty for a month, and the tax payer pays the rent for an empty house?

As mentioned up thread, how do these people afford to go on pilgrimages? Have they not thought about going on a pilgrimage to their local job centre?

Nice, a denigration of the low paid and those with family responsibilities there with the job centre quote. Edited by Royw6

Does your job let you go abroad on full salary to care for sick relatives for up to 13 weeks?

Yes, I could work while doing so. I would not have a problem if my tax pounds enabled another to do so who was not in my position,

Yes, I could work while doing so. I would not have a problem if my tax pounds enabled another to do so who was not in my position,

You are very different and far far luckier than most working people ......

You are very different and far far luckier than most working people ......

I do appreciate that, in fact when a close family member died of cancer I spent the last six weeks with her, truely a hard time - I know she appreciated it. But this should be available to all.

I f***ing hate with a passion this benefit, £27 Billion every single year on the pretence that it is helping those poor poor people that cannot afford the rent, I have no doubt that housing benefit is helping a lot of people, but the people living under the roofs of this benefit are not one of them.

Why are MSM not picking up on this massive con.

Sh*t, I really woke up in a stinking mood this morning, sometimes the crappy system we are all living under get to me :)

I seem to agree with you on a lot of things, again here. A citizen wage for everyone would help rebalance housing costs, promote tenant movement and take money out of landlord pockets.

See it's what I said early, it's bloody pensioners again getting free houses, housing benefit and going abroad - they can even get free buses to airports!. Bloody pensioners with there free stuff and holidays! Hopefully we can cut their pensions next, and if they go to hospital they'll loose there houses too, put em in homes is what I say. They are happiest when playing bingo and being fed mashed food.

. Also I agree, if a pensioner goes abroad they should have their pensions stopped.

Seriously, you lot need to think a bit before you go on your latest rants about how things are likely to affect you personally, if not now, the next time the social system is chipped away at. Why shouldn't a person who is terminally ill go on a pilgrimage and then have a home on their return, why shouldn't someone who is sent to prison for a trivial offence come back to their family and home after a five week prison sentence (this is minor before you all start spitting venom about crucifixion being to good for 'em) rather than being homeless and having to rob to survive.

Nice, a denigration of the low paid and those with family responsibilities there with the job centre quote.

There, there little snowflake at least your not triggered.

13 weeks is too long. May be there should be some flexibility for carers of terminally ill or those who are terminally ill going on pilgrimage.

I think those two groups will be a small minority though. The majority will be those going on a long holiday and using their DLA/PIP to pay for it - that's not really what the benefit system is for.

13 weeks is too long. May be there should be some flexibility for carers of terminally ill or those who are terminally ill going on pilgrimage.

I think those two groups will be a small minority though. The majority will be those going on a long holiday and using their DLA/PIP to pay for it - that's not really what the benefit system is for.

That is a much more reasoned approach - perhaps 13 weeks is too long, I am not sure the full arguments put forward for the original system. In terms of disability benefits though, many people genuinely need them despite what some news papers say, and why shouldn't they take a holiday, perhaps there disability is such that they cannot fly and must travel by bus, train or boat, should we deny them a holiday just because they are disabled.

Additionally, when you make exceptions, you need to judge applications, have an appeals procedure, exclusions, special conditions and all fashion of other mechanisms. It would likely cost more to police than it would save. Far better to go after tax avoiders than those at the margins of society. Finally, as I have alluded to before, first to save money the social system will be chipped at the margins, until those margins impose on your lifestyles.

How do you mean?

Well you claim "you lot need to think a bit before you go on your latest rants" whilst you do exactly the same by using the language indicated. That indicates to all and sundry the indefensibility your position.

As it stands most of us would probably be told to piiss off if we ever needed support after a lifetime of work and zero claims against this particular set of benefits.Part of reason being is that tthe system is wide open to fraud and plenty willing to test it to the max especially if they have no long term ties with this country,.There have been plenty of documented cases where recipients of benefits have spent little or no time in residence.

I'm disabled myself, and while I don't receive PIP/DLA I know many that do. The system is deeply flawed – often those who cope well seem to have support thrown at them, and those who cope badly are left without support. It seems very badly targeted.

I have no objection for disabled going on holiday. A week at the seaside or a week in France – no problem.

A couple of years ago a disabled friend of mine went on holiday to the Caribbean – a six week cruise. The general response from my non-disabled mates was: “I can't afford the money or time to go on such a holiday, it's unfair that someone who isn't working can do that”.

Difficult to fault their reasoning isn't it? Such stories erode the support for the benefit system and make it easier to attack

Well you claim "you lot need to think a bit before you go on your latest rants" whilst you do exactly the same by using the language indicated. That indicates to all and sundry the indefensibility your position.

Yes, did you see what I did? I showed you what it is like to be targeted by a rant, as most of you I think are pensioners. It was an ironic rant to make a point. I don't hate pensioners and I believe that you should get more in all honesty.

As it stands most of us would probably be told to piiss off if we ever needed support after a lifetime of work and zero claims against this particular set of benefits.Part of reason being is that tthe system is wide open to fraud and plenty willing to test it to the max especially if they have no long term ties with this country,.There have been plenty of documented cases where recipients of benefits have spent little or no time in residence.

But that is no reason to withdraw all benefits in my opinion. Some pensioners have claimed for their dead partner or lent their grandchildren thier bus passes. This is criminal, but should not lead to you all loosing your entitlements because of one bad egg.

Edited by Royw6

Before frothing at the mouth, please do bear in mind most recipients of this benefit are actually employed. Or they could be disabled.

As we know, the actual beneficiaries of this benefit are the landlord and the bankers, not the tenant. That's what needs to be addressed in changes to this benefit.

Anyway: how does the local authority know whether a certain person is in or out of the country?