House Price Crash Forum

Immigration Raid On Byron Hamburgers Rounds Up 35 Workers

copydude

HOLA441

Grauniad

The swoops on immigrants have started.

The Home Office has confirmed 35 nationals from Brazil, Nepal, Egypt and Albania were among those rounded up in the raid, which took place across London on the morning of 4 July.

A senior worker in one of the branches alleged that staff had been told to attend a health and safety meeting at 9.30am that day but immigration officials quickly arrived and started to interview people.

A source at the Home Office said that reports that up to 80 staff had been deported were wide of the mark, confirming that 35 people were arrested on suspicion of breaches of immigration laws.

Reports of the raid first appeared in a Spanish language online newspaper, El Iberico, in London and quickly spread across social media, prompting plans of protests and boycotts of the restaurant.

The good news is that the illegals will have quickly found new jobs at Berber King and Kosta Kaffir.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

This is weird, how could the HR dept knowingly employ illegals. As far as I know the fines are ten thousand for each. What went on?

Probably paid way below the minimum wage I'd guess - in for a penny, in for (a few) pounds when it comes to illegal activity. It would explain why they're all non-EU. Surely they could fill a burger joint with EU migrants if they paid minimum wage?

HOLA445

Probably paid way below the minimum wage I'd guess - in for a penny, in for (a few) pounds when it comes to illegal activity. It would explain why they're all non-EU. Surely they could fill a burger joint with EU migrants if they paid minimum wage?

To me it seems that the 2013 new owners found a company stuffed with staff with dubious paperwork and did the only thing they could and shopped them the UKBA. Snowflakes on social media in meltdown people on the street in support of the action.

HOLA446

This is weird, how could the HR dept knowingly employ illegals. As far as I know the fines are ten thousand for each. What went on?

They probably looked at the Ids and NI numbers and found they were all the same.

My small, Northern home town has a few ethnic eating places and pizza + kebab shops.

There seems to be a pattern where one gets picked and raided. Each raid results in about 4-8 staff being deported. Now, by my ready reckoning, Id make that a good 50% of the employees on site at any time.

Immigration needs to start levying a large fine on the licensed business owner of 10k per illegal. All businesses should have a registered person for this purposes

HOLA447

To me it seems that the 2013 new owners found a company stuffed with staff with dubious paperwork and did the only thing they could and shopped them the UKBA. Snowflakes on social media in meltdown people on the street in support of the action.

Well I think people who support immigration control should go and eat there.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Well I think people who support immigration control should go and eat there.

Seems that a lot of people on the street like the move and are supportive.

It might be one of those rare occasions when UKBA have actually detained rather than released those apprehended. They should have a far larger budget and the fines should be increased and enforced. Speaking to a relative whose in HR, the fines are often reduced or not even levied.

HOLA4410

Seems that a lot of people on the street like the move and are supportive.

It might be one of those rare occasions when UKBA have actually detained rather than released those apprehended. They should have a far larger budget and the fines should be increased and enforced. Speaking to a relative whose in HR, the fines are often reduced or not even levied.

x2

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I gather the UKBA will not provide employers with the means of checking whether the paperwork is 100% official. Its left to companies to just do their best..

Also companies usual recruit on the recommendation of other staff. You can easily see one illegal worker merrily recruiting one or 2 others...

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I would guess these were people who have been in Spain til 2008ish.

Lost their jobs, booted out and moved to the UK?

It is very easy for legal immigrants in Spain to get citizenship. I would guess people who are studying here and working breaking the conditions of their visa.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

It is very easy for legal immigrants in Spain to get citizenship. I would guess people who are studying here and working breaking the conditions of their visa.

Could it be after so many years of many breaking conditions of visas, forging documents, overstaying and slipping through the system, the authorities turning a blind eye to people who are living and working illegally they are now toughening up to show they are doing more to deal with this....who knows?

HOLA4418

Could it be after so many years of many breaking conditions of visas, forging documents, overstaying and slipping through the system, the authorities turning a blind eye to people who are living and working illegally they are now toughening up to show they are doing more to deal with this....who knows?

In the past people from South America could "study" here and work 16 hours and after a few years get citizenship. Now they can't work while they study here, because the rules have changed. Mainly because people were studying to get residence rather than to study.

Edited by iamnumerate

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

This bit I find wierd:

'Reports of the raid first appeared in a Spanish language online newspaper, El Iberico, in London '

Not sure what you're getting at, but there was someone on reddit the other day trying to drum up outrage, and it sonds like social media picked it up and now the mainstream press.

HOLA4425