House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Graduates Not Repaying Should Be Arrested.

"The UK is an awful place to be young and want a decent quality of life already without the threat of prison for not paying student load debt quickly enough." Comment on the above article.

Snowflakes it can't be so bad, look at the migration figures.

This comment typifies the the mindset of 'progressives'. Having created an environment of higher education needed for everything, which the state couldn't and can't afford they get upset when they have to pay. Their suggestions are that everyone else should pay but them.

Talking to an academic yesterday, they believed that anyone going abroad for more than five years has the student debt written off. Can't see it myself as a massive and obvious loophole. Anyone shed light on this?

Talking to an academic yesterday, they believed that anyone going abroad for more than five years has the student debt written off. Can't see it myself as a massive and obvious loophole. Anyone shed light on this?

The son of a friend believes this and is off to the US with no plans to return. However, http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk says you are supposed to pay it back and provides the forms to "help".

This article below (2012) says 2% of UK students do a runner but 45% of EU students. Brexit should help stop EU students getting free degrees at our expense.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9030043/Thousands-of-EU-students-fail-to-repay-loans.html

"The SLC has powers to deduct money directly from the wages of graduates who find jobs in Britain, but for graduates who live and work overseas it is forced to rely on their co-operation in giving up-to-date information about their earnings and making their own arrangements to pay."

What a stupid system.

I would expect they would find it difficult to enforce if you are abroad. After 5 years of trying to find you, it may be unofficial policy not to continue but present you with the bill if you come back and re-enter the NI system. A state pension can be worth £200-250K so its a trade-off.

I went to the US in my 20's, wouldn't have bothered coming back to a £60K debt.

Edited by VeryMeanReversion

Student loans are nothing to do with education and everything to do with normalising shtloads of DEBT for future generations.

....debt to pay todays wages and pensions..... and the research that the future may or may not benefit from......;)

The son of a friend believes this and is off to the US with no plans to return. However, http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk says you are supposed to pay it back and provides the forms to "help".

This article below (2012) says 2% of UK students do a runner but 45% of EU students. Brexit should help stop EU students getting free degrees at our expense.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9030043/Thousands-of-EU-students-fail-to-repay-loans.html

"The SLC has powers to deduct money directly from the wages of graduates who find jobs in Britain, but for graduates who live and work overseas it is forced to rely on their co-operation in giving up-to-date information about their earnings and making their own arrangements to pay."

What a stupid system.

I would expect they would find it difficult to enforce if you are abroad. After 5 years of trying to find you, it may be unofficial policy not to continue but present you with the bill if you come back and re-enter the NI system. A state pension can be worth £200-250K so its a trade-off.

I went to the US in my 20's, wouldn't have bothered coming back to a £60K debt.

Thank you, very helpful and informative. My source suggested that as long as the person stayed out for a minimum of five years, then the debt was written off so was suggesting it as a strategy.

Thank you, very helpful and informative. My source suggested that as long as the person stayed out for a minimum of five years, then the debt was written off so was suggesting it as a strategy.

I think hes very wrong.

The debt is written off after 25-30 years.

5 years sounds like someone mangling bankruptcy limits.

My brother finished his degree about 5 years ago and is working in his industry.He paid off his debt however the university sends him letters and calls him at least once a month asking for more money.

Thats brutal enough but it'd sting even more if you had a huge student loan you weren't paying off.

I think hes very wrong.

The debt is written off after 25-30 years.

5 years sounds like someone mangling bankruptcy limits.

And ironically, even bankruptcy doesn't clear student debt. Almost as if it has been engineered to put a generation into debt slavery from the beginning of their adult lives.

Student loans and fees are an utter disgrace. The system has been engineered to simultaneously devalue the worth of a degree whilst making it a must have for any sort of half-decent job. Basically, degrees have been turned into A-levels on steroids so while a degree no longer sets you up for a high value job/career, you now need to have one even for more basic stuff that you could once have done with A levels or even O levels plus a HNC.

Couple that with the removal of grants and paid fees and any young person with any aspirations for a 'middle class' kind of job faces being up to their necks in non-dischargable debt from their early twenties. Simply vile.

"The UK is an awful place to be young and want a decent quality of life already without the threat of prison for not paying student load debt quickly enough." Comment on the above article.

Snowflakes it can't be so bad, look at the migration figures.

This comment typifies the the mindset of 'progressives'. Having created an environment of higher education needed for everything, which the state couldn't and can't afford they get upset when they have to pay. Their suggestions are that everyone else should pay but them.

Yep....

They are pro-uncontrolled immigration, pro-illegal immigration (based on many Twitter comments about the Byron story) yet it's these very issues that keep wages super-low, they have zero syllables to say on the housing market (it simply isn't on the radar of the young at all, the housing market quite literally doesn't exist to them), their prosperity has been stolen from them by the dilution of currency, they're brainwashed into thinking they MUST go to uni even though the whole point of uni was to distinguish the brightest from the herd (now the herd go to uni on watered down grades).

It is not.

The system is designed to be beneficial to ex-students who work within it, and punitive to those who don't. If you keep SLC informed of your location and earnings, your repayments will often be zero. If you stop doing so, they apply a monthly default payment based on your last known country. For most of the world, that's incredibly high, and they will pursue you in the courts for it as they can find you (e.g. if you return to the UK and re-enter the tax system).

I'm part various groups involving being overseas (especially now there's no point staying in the UK post Brexit), and most young people get that. The few that don't are storing up some nasty surprises for when they get home - as they are regularly informed by people who have discovered this the hard way.

ahh debtors prison......

I keep seeing this coming up over and over. Is this where we are going? debtors prison for the young if they dont feed the boomers?

Bleeding the young like fat nylon trouser-ed vampires, with the BTL, student debt and stupid house prices.

Good on young folk for skipping out, most degrees are worthless anyway. They are brainwashed into thinking the "must" go to college or they will have no future and it would take a very brave young person to tell all those adults to fek off.

This is exactly why I tell young people dont try to play the game, live for yourself, live minimally and dont feed the system!

And ironically, even bankruptcy doesn't clear student debt. Almost as if it has been engineered to put a generation into debt slavery from the beginning of their adult lives.

Student loans and fees are an utter disgrace. The system has been engineered to simultaneously devalue the worth of a degree whilst making it a must have for any sort of half-decent job. Basically, degrees have been turned into A-levels on steroids so while a degree no longer sets you up for a high value job/career, you now need to have one even for more basic stuff that you could once have done with A levels or even O levels plus a HNC.

Couple that with the removal of grants and paid fees and any young person with any aspirations for a 'middle class' kind of job faces being up to their necks in non-dischargable debt from their early twenties. Simply vile.

Yes, and even more ironically, the rich will get degrees without ever having to incur the debt at all! Their parents will pay, leaving the children unencumbered.

The debt hits the poor sections of society only. Those with money are laughing!

they're brainwashed into thinking they MUST go to uni even though the whole point of uni was to distinguish the brightest from the herd (now the herd go to uni on watered down grades).

That's not just a UK thing. In Poland almost every young person is a student now, honing their skills in sociology or European studies (whatever the hell that is) and putting themselves on the fasttrack to unemployment or zero-hour contract at the frier. But try telling anyone that instead of going through college and uni, they could try and learn a craft and by the time their friends get their bachelor degrees, they would already have a few years of experience in plumbing, brick laying or motor works and would be making a killing, given the shortage of these skills on the market.

As the article makes clear, this is about breaking the link between income and loan repayment. The simple fact is that you only have to repay the loan if your income is above a certain level. For those former students living and working abroad, there is no way for the UK authorities to establish when their income reaches the point where they have to repay. They rely on the borrower telling them. It seems that very few bother - an entirely predictable problem. It's the people who drafted this arrangement who should be jailed.

Britain's exit from the EU should largely solve this issue as the UK will no longer be obliged to offer loans to EU citizens on the same terms as UK citizens. However, it's not the EU's fault that the British government introduced such patently stupid legislation in the first place. And the issue of UK citizens emigrating and not repaying their loan will still remain.

That's not just a UK thing. In Poland almost every young person is a student now, honing their skills in sociology or European studies (whatever the hell that is) and putting themselves on the fasttrack to unemployment or zero-hour contract at the frier. But try telling anyone that instead of going through college and uni, they could try and learn a craft and by the time their friends get their bachelor degrees, they would already have a few years of experience in plumbing, brick laying or motor works and would be making a killing, given the shortage of these skills on the market.

Yeah this is what I tell young folk too, at my college it costs 700 quid to spend the summer learning welding. You will always be able to pick up cash in hand odd jobs and such welding, plumbing mechanic or similar.

Not a lot of call for experts in medieval Norwegian poetry with 50k in debt.

I hope the young start working this out soon.

As for me I put a way a little bit each month for my kids which should cover a big chunk if they want to go to uni. I choose to do this instead of a pension which I believe I will never see. However my kids will only be going to do something STEM. Otherwise I am happy for them to use the money for Tools and Trade college and such. Christ they could even buy a van and do odd jobbing and they would be better off than going to uni currently.

Has anyone run the numbers to see what the debt compounds to in 30 years time assuming current repayment experience and if nothing changes? (back of fag packet)

EDIT: if debt outstanding is 16% of gdp already what on earth will it look like with these levels of non payment versus the original assumptions?

My guess is they'll manage this like pensions....always too little, too late and always handed on to the next government to deal with...until it is too late.

Isn't that a sop for all goverments?

As the article makes clear, this is about breaking the link between income and loan repayment. The simple fact is that you only have to repay the loan if your income is above a certain level. For those former students living and working abroad, there is no way for the UK authorities to establish when their income reaches the point where they have to repay. They rely on the borrower telling them. It seems that very few bother - an entirely predictable problem. It's the people who drafted this arrangement who should be jailed.

Britain's exit from the EU should largely solve this issue as the UK will no longer be obliged to offer loans to EU citizens on the same terms as UK citizens. However, it's not the EU's fault that the British government introduced such patently stupid legislation in the first place. And the issue of UK citizens emigrating and not repaying their loan will still remain.

Indeed. Many of our EU students are from poor eastern block countries, Poland,

Lithuania, Romania etc. If they qualify as engineers they can go back there and earn what is a very good wage locally but never exceed the £21k limit for repayment. Strangely the people who have all the real problems are channel islanders who have to borrow from their own govt at crippling interest rates. Quite a few are trying to get uk citizenship to avoid it.