House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Would You Buy Your Niece/nephew An App?

So, to set the scene..

Niece, 10 years old, wants minecraft for her hudl.

Her mum won't sign up to google store on principle, so the kid has come to me as uncle soft-touch to stick my credit card details in to buy her the game for her birthday.

It sounds like a really bad idea to me.. but perhaps I'm being a luddite.

So, question to the forum.. if it was your niece/nephew, would you do it?

Is there a safe way to do it that guarantee no ass rogering when the next bill arrives?

Side note: My sister has no issue with me buying it for her daughter, she just doesn't want to put her own credit card details in because she is worried about the risks as well.

So, to set the scene..

Niece, 10 years old, wants minecraft for her hudl.

Her mum won't sign up to google store on principle, so the kid has come to me as uncle soft-touch to stick my credit card details in to buy her the game for her birthday.

It sounds like a really bad idea to me.. but perhaps I'm being a luddite.

So, question to the forum.. if it was your niece/nephew, would you do it?

Is there a safe way to do it that guarantee no ass rogering when the next bill arrives?

Side note: My sister has no issue with me buying it for her daughter, she just doesn't want to put her own credit card details in because she is worried about the risks as well.

Prepaid debit card

It's all i ever use on playstore

Surely a ten year old girl would need a guitar! Not an "app".

Surely a ten year old girl would need a guitar! Not an "app".

I think the problem is her friends are into "apps" and not guitars.

Apparently that matters to 10 year olds :rolleyes:

Yep, pre-paid card. Can't spend more than on the card.

You can also use the lure of future cards to get her to be a good girl.

...also stops all those in-app credit payments too. I've heard of kids slapping two grand on a parents credit card. The parents supidly give their kids their passwords as well..

I think the problem is her friends are into "apps" and not guitars.

Apparently that matters to 10 year olds :rolleyes:

I guess Libby. I am just used to knowing musicians, and all the kids want to try it.

I guess Libby. I am just used to knowing musicians, and all the kids want to try it.

To be fair the game's only going to cost me a £10 card, so could probably get her a second more ethical present on budget.. don't think I could stretch you one of your V12 powered fender stratocasters though ;)

To be fair the game's only going to cost me a £10 card, so could probably get her a second more ethical present on budget.. don't think I could stretch you one of your V12 powered fender stratocasters though ;)

Is it her birthday or has she done chores to the value of £10?

I'm no Strat man!

As previously mentioned, Spartacus DVD boxset went down very well with my eleven year old nephew.

Not so much, with his mother, who did phone to break words.

I'd add that it is worth getting a gift card to get Minecraft. There are enough other apps aimed a children for free to avoid having to bother with any more gift cards...