House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shindigger

Windscreen Washers Kaput On 09 Focus.

I should admit i did allow the bottle to get low. Just filled up today and...nothing.

Pump did whirr briefly and occaisonal low power jet on the screen, but now silent when i push the stalk.

Im going to buy a pump off of ebay about a tenner as opposed to £50 from Ford and do it myself.

Looks a pain, remove wheel, remove inner arch, remove bottle etc. But time is on my side.

I would go out there now and give it a damn good blow with a bit of hosepipe, but as im not hearing the pump spin i'm assuming ive fried it.

Any thoughts tips?

Cheers.

Why don't you get a voltmeter on it, and see if electricity is getting there? It could be the switch.

Fairly straightforward, as said already, worth checking power is getting there in case it's the switch or a fuse - although you've probably got some sort of problem if the fuse has gone.

Ford wheel arch liner clips usually aren't too bad just unscrew and pull the whole thing out they're more like a plastic rivet that screws. Might be worth buying some off ebay at the same time as the pump as being plastic they are very easy to round off or mangle.

The pump itself just has a rubber bung surround on the water inlet from the tank and it just pushes in firmly to seal. It will be a tight fit and screenwash pumps can be difficult to push home and seal properly you need to make certain it has sealed and isn't leaking before you put the wheel arch liner back - give the reservoir a good couple of thumps, to simulate going over a bump, and check it doesn't piss water out.

Sometimes you can wiggle the pump in and out without removing the reservoir if there's access. If you do need to remove the reservoir give the bolts a good dowsing in WD40 well before as there is a good chance they will be heavily corroded from water splashes.

If it's to get through an MOT the next day you can sometimes revive the pump if the motor has just corroded or seized, due to underuse. Soak in WD40 and give them a good tap and they'll often go again. Not worth it otherwise though might as well replace to avoid future faffing.

A car of mine had a similar sounding problem once when I'd let the washer reservoir run down. After refilling the tank I was able to fix the pump by unplugging the "out" pipe and giving the pump innards a good poke with a finger - I guess that successfully primed it.

(It was a mk4 fiesta and the process of accessing the pump was similar to yours - unnecessarily awkward.)

Thanks for all this.

Pump ordered for £8 delivered. Which puts it in "what the hell" DIY territory.

Torx screwdriver at the ready. Its those plastic screw clips that look set to be the most annoying.

As the pump slowly failed, im guessing it will be that, and not the switch/stalk. Wipers still work front and back.

Fuses are seperate for wipers and washers both are fine.

Wont be attempting this til after the weekend. Will update.

A car of mine had a similar sounding problem once when I'd let the washer reservoir run down. After refilling the tank I was able to fix the pump by unplugging the "out" pipe and giving the pump innards a good poke with a finger - I guess that successfully primed it.

(It was a mk4 fiesta and the process of accessing the pump was similar to yours - unnecessarily awkward.)

Noted. Thanks HB.

Where did you disconnect the out pipe? Somewhere tight to the bonnet underside? That would seem the most accessible point.

I've already shoved a length of hosepipe down the bottle and given it a good blow.

On the Ka, old model, there is a filter which is part of outlet from the reservoir to the pump. A pain to get at but all I had to do was clean that and wash out the reservoir when tha washer expired on her ladyship's Ka.

As I say an absolute pain to get at.

It was the pump!

Had it all in bits this AM.

Wheel and arch liner off, wrestled with tank to remove, fitted new pump and WHOOSH sends the jets clean over the roof now. Back working sweet as a nut again too.

No gunge in tank, clean as a whistle. Though that might have been the steradent tabs i chucked in there a few days back.

Joyous.

Saved £50.

Then came in and triumphantly logged in to HPC, only to discover the Satantander have scalped me £50 a month interest on the 123 accounts.

Hey ho.

It was the pump!

Had it all in bits this AM.

Wheel and arch liner off, wrestled with tank to remove, fitted new pump and WHOOSH sends the jets clean over the roof now. Back working sweet as a nut again too.

No gunge in tank, clean as a whistle. Though that might have been the steradent tabs i chucked in there a few days back.

Joyous.

Saved £50.

Then came in and triumphantly logged in to HPC, only to discover the Satantander have scalped me £50 a month interest on the 123 accounts.

Hey ho.

Should start a new thread....how to save £600 a year to make up for loss in 123 interest..... ;)

What I hate is not being able to change headlamp bulbs on modern cars without taking the front end off. What's that all about?

A pin might do the trick. ;)

Possibly.

Would that be legal?

I'm not qualified to offer legal opinions. It might be a bit naughty. Probably best to ask a policemen who banks with them.