House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quad

Do We Need A New Section Devoted To Terrorism On The Forum

Doesn't the mental health act have a section for them?

I don't think we should group them all together, that would be like normalising it.

I know the French PM said people should get used to it....

Maybe if we had the current affairs and politics sub forums all together under the off topic heading, people would use them a bit more. They sort of disappear into the middle of nowhere at the moment.

It might all finish now for several months.

I understand the normalising thing but I also find it a tad miserable, as HAM mentioned, looking at the forum full of the threads. I was trying yesterday to find some jokey, funny things to begin a thread on just to cheer us all up.

Maybe we just need all the terror threads merged into one on here?

I think separate is best - so we realise when there's been another incident. One thread being bumped isn't the same as a new thread for each location.

Despite the protestations of all of you vis vis all these terror related threads being depressing, etc .....you all know as well as I do you will all just end up secretly voyeuristically being drawn to that merged thread all the time - at the expense of all the other wonderful OT threads that discuss all and sundry matters such as toilet flushes, etc :D

None of it is terrorism anyway... we've had loners, disgruntled divorced men having a mid-life crisis, the mentally ill, and disenfranchised youths.

Absolutely no terrorists involved.

(Aunty Beeb told me, so it must be true)

How about anything new appearing in Off-topic and then, say after a week, the thread being moved to current affairs? It would mean work for the mods though.

I guess a lot of people would not realise something was happening if a new attack thread appeared in current affairs or even in a terrorist thread. People only notice them because they are in Off-topic.

I suspect that one giant terrorism thread in Off-topic would be the most practical. It is all part of the same thing after all isn't it.

How many views do these threads get? I'd say way above average per day.

Having it all in one thread gets messy as different events and updates get talked about.

Has there been an increase in visitors to the forum? Off topic & these threads in particular?

Is there a wider audience reading them?.

"Two men with knives" thread got almost 10,000 views in 24hrs

contrast that with

"Referendum result" thread started around the same time under 700 views

in the same timeframe.

it probably is overbearing the off topic forum, it's a far cry now from the days of

Grand Bassam, Tunisia, Charlie Hebdo etc

But i wouldnt want to go along with any attempts to shutbdown discussion / debate.

All Terrorism threads should be moved to current affairs. Or restricted to a pinned topic on the current affairs forum.

Pin a Terrorism thread to the top of the main section. When they did that with Gold it quickly went out of fashion and the price plunged. If that tactic also works with Terrorism, we could save a lot of lives.

Only visit main board and off-topic, so not sure about moving these 'of the moment' topics. Terrorism is big news (feels like a war is going on), and at least here (HPC) some of the MSM filters and biases are exposed.

Sometimes threads are derailed (like the guns in one post, which should have had its own thread).

Leave it as it is, see how it goes.