House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

These New Banners On Websites At The Top

Anyone else noticed this new trend in websites to put their branding across the top in a horizontal banner and the article scrolls out from underneath it?

I find it very claustrophobic to read articles on such sites. Some examples:

http://fortune.com/2016/07/21/glencore-investec-analyst-sell/

http://www.zerohedge.com/

Been happening for ages to be fair.

Working in web design I really dislike the way all sites are adopting mobile first designs, i.e. sites that look the same on any device. They look really ugly on desktop.

Many websites seem to be oriented towards Phone displays instead of PCs. Huge bold text and lots of superficial 'interactive' stuff. Some the BBC pages are particularly irritating.

I may not be experienceing these at their best as my PC browser does not support the latest HTML properly.

Been happening for ages to be fair.

Working in web design I really dislike the way all sites are adopting mobile first designs, i.e. sites that look the same on any device. They look really ugly on desktop.

+1

Many websites seem to be oriented towards Phone displays instead of PCs. Huge bold text and lots of superficial 'interactive' stuff. Some the BBC pages are particularly irritating.

I may not be experienceing these at their best as my PC browser does not support the latest HTML properly.

Yes. I hate this.

85% of my internet use is on desktop. I want a desktop version, not some bastardised mobile/tablet website version which looks rubbish, has stupid large text and bright colours/boxes etc etc.

Really annoying.

Even on mobile devices they aren't all that great.

Take this forum for example.. I much prefer browsing the normal page over the mobile version.

The annoying thing is at random points it seems to automatically default back to the mobile one again.

Anyone else noticed this new trend in websites to put their branding across the top in a horizontal banner and the article scrolls out from underneath it?

I find it very claustrophobic to read articles on such sites. Some examples:

http://fortune.com/2016/07/21/glencore-investec-analyst-sell/

http://www.zerohedge.com/

Yes, really annoying. Another irritation is those things that float alongside the text and stay where they are when you scroll up and down.

Even wors than the fixed banners at the top, is when they also allocate space for an advert along the bottom, so you're just left with the middle part for viewing.

Yes, really annoying. Another irritation is those things that float alongside the text and stay where they are when you scroll up and down.

It usually seems to be the social media icons, as if I should feel need to be sharing every single website page I read. And since it's a relatively recent concept, they get bunged in the way of the text as if they've had to be added to the website as an afterthought, long after the site was originally developed.

I had one on my mobile the other day that covered the text entry box for the comments section. No matter what you did the advert stopped you typing anything. Ruddy annoying.

Edit:

M&S review section I think.

Is it possible for pages to be written so they load from the bottom upwards (iif that makes sense)

I hate to click on something and then as the page loads, I've clicked on a banner ad which takes the place of the link i wanted

/first world problem

Surely the numbers of people visiting these sites will just steadily decline.

When it was usable I visited the Telegraph site several times a day. Now that it's filled up with banners and videos it takes an age to load so it's down to once a day and I usually regret visiting it and just back page.

I can't see it being long before I stop visiting it altogether.

It would appear you aren't the only one, Frank:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/telegraph.co.uk

That's quite a drop!

Surely they can see this coming when they make the change? It's not like I'm refusing to visit the Telegraph on principle, I like the paper and I like its commentators, but the website is now such a pain I'm going there less and less.

That's certainly my loss but I'd have thought that it was their loss too.

The really stupid people are the advertisers themselves. If the force their adverts on me I will go ut of my way to avoid buying their products, just as I would with a salesman who cold calls me. I would assum that I am not the only person who thinks this way.

I got an iPad recently to replace an old Android device where flash ads were grinding pages to a halt.

The iPad was blindingly fast in comparison, and I'm really not bothered by ads if they aren't intrusive. But I quickly found on a couple of websites i regularly view (one being Zerohedge) that adverts would randomly open full-screen, and I couldn't find a close button, and pressing Back took me off the webpage and I had to reload it. So because of a few greedy selfish adverts, I resorted to Installing Ad Blocker.

If they went back to a simple picture for ads instead of the complexity of Flash, I wouldn't mind them, but they just shoot themselves in the foot with their intrusiveness. And I dont think i've ever seen an ad that is for a product or service I'd be interested in, which makes it doubly annoying. Plus there is the malware reputation, so i would never willingly click on any of them.

Another annoying thing I've seen recently is full screen, sometimes moving, semi transparent backrounds. When you scroll, it's like the train moving out of the station, it confuses the senses. I'm sure there have been other annoying things recently, as well as pop ups that I mentioned before. Isn't there some ols browser we can use that doesn't register all this stuff?

They do annoy me too. They make the page jump sometimes. Especially irritating on my phone.

And when the staggered loading means you get a jump just when you're sure it's finished moving so you end up reading the wrong story. Click back, wait, same thing again.

The Telegraph is awful for this.