House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Byron

Referendum Result Not As Narrow As Thought

If you don't vote, you are in effect stating that you will accept the view of the (unknown) majority.

On that basis, the winning Brexit campaign can claim the uncast votes.

So, of an electorate of 46,499,000.

16,141,241 voted remain, i.e. 34.7% of the whole electorate.

17,410,742 voted leave i.e. 37.44% of the whole electorate

That leaves the missing 27% who did not cast a vote.

The leavers can claim those votes which means that the total satisfied with the leave vote was over 72%

I nearly didn't vote but only voted leave to reject the two recent treaties. Given different options I would have voted differently.

Snap. I was looking for the "and immediately declare war upon France" option.

Those who did not vote accepted the status quo. REMAIN.

Surely if those who felt that was what you wanted then going and voting was what those should have done.

To not vote is to say que sera, sera.

FWIW, I thought the Leave vote was significant, given the fact that we were instructed to vote Remain . . . or else . . . by almost everyone . . . not just our own Government, but the EU, US, you name it.

Political Betting contains the interesting snippet that in election history, no party, nor any side in a referendum has ever received more votes than the 17 million Leave received last month

FWIW, I thought the Leave vote was significant, given the fact that we were instructed to vote Remain . . . or else . . . by almost everyone . . . not just our own Government, but the EU, US, you name it.

Political Betting contains the interesting snippet that in election history, no party, nor any side in a referendum has ever received more votes than the 17 million Leave received last month

You forgot the illegal last minute 2 million 'voters' who registered in the extra 2 days given to register in order to make up for the few thousand who were trying to register in the last 45 minutes before the deadline.

Also forgetting the hundreds of thousands of fraudulently cast ballot papers that were no doubt thrown in for Remain.

You forgot the illegal last minute 2 million 'voters' who registered in the extra 2 days given to register in order to make up for the few thousand who were trying to register in the last 45 minutes before the deadline.

Also forgetting the hundreds of thousands of fraudulently cast ballot papers that were no doubt thrown in for Remain.

I don't get the 2m voters not registered until the last minute.. (and beyond..)

How?

I don't get the 2m voters not registered until the last minute.. (and beyond..)

How?

I guess he's meaning the number of people who managed to register to vote on the 2 extra days that should not have been available ?

They had the stats available and the ages of those registering at the last minute were a majority firmly in the 'more likely to vote remain' age group.

What numbers registered and then actually voted - who knows. But it is very likely to have had a positive impact on the remain vote.

Then you have the Jo - whats her name again - incident.

Finger in the air - but taking that all into account - and the constant input from the likes of Obama and the constant fear stories piled into the populace ? I reckon if the vote had been 'fair' - leave would have got between 55-60% of the vote.

I guess he's meaning the number of people who managed to register to vote on the 2 extra days that should not have been available ?

They had the stats available and the ages of those registering at the last minute were a majority firmly in the 'more likely to vote remain' age group.

What numbers registered and then actually voted - who knows. But it is very likely to have had a positive impact on the remain vote.

Then you have the Jo - whats her name again - incident.

Finger in the air - but taking that all into account - and the constant input from the likes of Obama and the constant fear stories piled into the populace ? I reckon if the vote had been 'fair' - leave would have got between 55-60% of the vote.

I mean how the f&&& are 2m people not registered to vote?

It's not the number of teenagers reaching 18 a year ...

I mean how the f&&& are 2m people not registered to vote?

It's not the number of teenagers reaching 18 a year ...

Many people generally don't give a toss about politics ?