House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marshmellow

Salary In Cambridge As An Engineer

What sort of salary should you expect as an electrical engineer with a PhD working in Cambridge?

I have just finished my PhD and live in the EU

I have basically been offered a job in Cambridge by a company who's product direction seems to be influenced (not sure how much) by my work as PhD

The problem is that I bought an apartment last year in the EU and my mortgage and bills are only £650-700 a month.

I will double that and be paying it in rent in order to live in Cambridge - and probably live in a much worse place.

I earn the equivalent of about 35k GBP now but I will probably lose my job at the university at the end of the year.

The job in this company is really interesting work and I think I would really enjoy it. It would also be much better for my 'career' rather than continuing to work at the university where the job is transforming into 'make up results and write as many papers as possible'. I need to get out and do proper work.

The problem is that unless they pay me about 50 or 60k a year, I dont see how I wont end up being worse off financially, and I will probably hate living there given that the whole of London and the South East seems to be one massive traffic jam.

I think I would be more happy working as a bartender.

There's also a small chance I could get an electrical engineering in this town in the EU, but given that there are 100s of people applying for every job these days, it will be hard given my PhD wont be directly related

I've looked at work in Cambridge, and the numbers didn't add up. It really is quite expensive.

Unless you're approaching 6 figures you'll have trouble making it stack. There was a recruiter on linkedin who went round me and all my colleagues offering a 50% salary increase to do a job in Cambridge. We all said no.

In my current situation (with a wife and kids) I couldn't make it work. House prices there are insane and I'd need an unfeasible boost in salary to do it.

If I was a young bloke fresh out of Uni with no ties, I think it would be possible. Say starting salary of £30K is £2K take home. A room in a house share and essential spending wouldn't come to more than £1K, leaving you with at least £1K per month spare. That sounds like a decent start in life, or am I completely out of touch?

In my current situation (with a wife and kids) I couldn't make it work. House prices there are insane and I'd need an unfeasible boost in salary to do it.
If I was a young bloke fresh out of Uni with no ties, I think it would be possible. Say starting salary of £30K is £2K take home. A room in a house share and essential spending wouldn't come to more than £1K, leaving you with at least £1K per month spare. That sounds like a decent start in life, or am I completely out of touch?

I think if you are young with no ties, it's feasible. I lived in house shares when younger. I owned nothing but the motorcycle I stood up in. I only wore clothes in the Winter. I only had one guitar, and used to sleep in the amplifier for warmth

Fresh PhD pharma industry I would expect 35-45k, so perhaps that kind of ballpark probably reasonable for elec engineering too?

Tell them only prepared to work there if they are prepared to pay the rent.....overpriced areas price people out of working in or around them...

Edit: and they call it a skills shortage, no it is an an affordable place to live and work shortage.;)

But I live in another country and I have an apartment

I paid 150k for it

In Cambridge the same thing would probably cost 450k

I honestly think I would be happier on a low salary job like a full time bartender and staying here

I paid 150k for it

I honestly think I would be happier on a low salary job like a full time bartender and staying here

You could tell customers all about engineering, and electrical sockets.

I think if you are young with no ties, it's feasible. I lived in house shares when younger. I owned nothing but the motorcycle I stood up in. I only wore clothes in the Winter. I only had one guitar, and used to sleep in the amplifier for warmth

Did it go to 10 or 11 ?

And I'd hazard a guess they were some of the best days of your life too? I've lived in places I had to wear 2 sets of clothes in winter and steam came off my piss when I went to the toilet, yet I had a great time.

I paid 150k for it

Yep it's crazy, you're preaching to the choir here. Cambridge is a close 2nd to London in terms of HPI insanity.
It's the UK's parallel to San Francisco. Buying's not an option for all but the very rich. But for others there's opportunity, earn well, spend little, accumulate assets. Then if you choose, move elsewhere.
Maybe being a bartender would be the best option, but maybe taking a step back and opening up new opportunities is the way to go. If I'd gone to the effort of getting a PhD I'd want to be on the other side of the bar.

What sort of salary should you expect as an electrical engineer with a PhD working in Cambridge?

I have just finished my PhD and live in the EU

I have basically been offered a job in Cambridge by a company who's product direction seems to be influenced (not sure how much) by my work as PhD

The problem is that I bought an apartment last year in the EU and my mortgage and bills are only £650-700 a month.

I will double that and be paying it in rent in order to live in Cambridge - and probably live in a much worse place.

I earn the equivalent of about 35k GBP now but I will probably lose my job at the university at the end of the year.

The job in this company is really interesting work and I think I would really enjoy it. It would also be much better for my 'career' rather than continuing to work at the university where the job is transforming into 'make up results and write as many papers as possible'. I need to get out and do proper work.

The problem is that unless they pay me about 50 or 60k a year, I dont see how I wont end up being worse off financially, and I will probably hate living there given that the whole of London and the South East seems to be one massive traffic jam.

I think I would be more happy working as a bartender.

There's also a small chance I could get an electrical engineering in this town in the EU, but given that there are 100s of people applying for every job these days, it will be hard given my PhD wont be directly related

If you have an engineering PhD and have worked before you should be able to get a £50k job fairly easily, that is roughly what most tech firms will pay a good pre-sales person or consultant. This would then rise to perhaps £65k quite quickly and you would probably also get some commission if you can do customer facing work.

I agree Cambridge is daft expensive. I lived in Hauxton but commute was crazy even though only to Long Road on same side of Cambridge. I then moved to Fenstanton, St Ives and then Houghton but commutes are hypercrazy. Quality of life in Houghton was excellent though!

My observation is that Cambridge salaries match those in northern cities such as Leeds but that expenses are on a par with London. Having said that, there's huge variation for the same skill level between companies so it's hard to predict what you might get. If it's less than 35-40K then expect to be living in a shared house or commuting from some way off. I'd be very surprised to see a company paying someone with a newly minted PhD much more than that sadly.

Have you tried talking to a local recruiter about what you might be able to get on the open market? They're not all evil so it might be worth a go.