House Price Crash Forum

Anecdotal

xian

HOLA441

someone at work today... trying to sell their house.... been on the market for 8 months, 2 offers fallen through. Been consistently dropping price. Nice house, character home, in an affluent and sought after village in Oxfordshire.

Poor seller hadn't even realised that no longer were the promised tax breaks available to put the property in SIPP. Was a bit dumbstruck when I informed them of the recent change in policy. Person asked aghast "When did this happen??", clearly expecting an answer like "this morning" or somesuch ..... :rolleyes:

HOLA442

Heard a lovely conversation on the train today:

She wants to buy up. But the whole content of her conversation is that she has a 50K mortgage and she would have to get a 90K morgage and "I need a life". Apparently one of her reles works for a very very influential agency. (won't name it to protect the privacy of anonomous travellers!) Her travelling companion keeps trying to elicit information about what he has said. She is evasive. He is nervous. Obviously worried about the wobbles and wants inside information. Hes on the brink of calling the crash, but he holds off, not wanting to look dumb. Finally she says "yeah but he's always optimistic" - very quickly, not terribly convincing and then straight away from the conversation - the way you would if you were lying to protecting someone!

Unfortunately I managed to kick her in the knee on the way out :o

I think the messages are getting through:

1. House prices are a gamble

2. There is more to life than a morgage

YEHA - made my day anyway

HOLA443
HOLA444

work colleague is selling up due to divorce initiated just prior to christmas....but no takers yet.

....just happens to be the same colleague who was bleating on about how much he had made on said house after buying it just over 2 years ago.

as above,he is very tetchy about the subject and if anyone asks he promptly tries to change the subject.

HOLA445
work colleague is selling up due to divorce initiated just prior to christmas....but no takers yet.

....just happens to be the same colleague who was bleating on about how much he had made on said house after buying it just over 2 years ago.

as above,he is very tetchy about the subject and if anyone asks he promptly tries to change the subject.

You don't work in my place do you? Sounds like someone I know!

I have been told on three occasions in the last week that house prices are in a soft patch, and will pick up by March. :lol:

Also, it surprises me it's only the middle classes who talk about property. I do a 2nd casual evening job where I fix people's PC's in their homes (got to earn the pennies) and it is surprising how fast the conversation turns to 'you have to get on the ladder'!

The 'rich' don't bother, they just give me tea and biscuits and talk about their daughters. The 'poor' don't talk and prod you to work as fast as possible.

Oh, and if anyone tells me to buy property (as they did last week) I deliberatly work slower and charge them more - got to earn the money so I can take their advice. :o

Edited by Jason

HOLA446
Guest Bart of Darkness
Poor seller hadn't even realised that no longer were the promised tax breaks available to put the property in SIPP. Was a bit dumbstruck when I informed them of the recent change in policy. Person asked aghast "When did this happen??", clearly expecting an answer like "this morning" or somesuch .....

Told a guy in Bristol last week about SIPPS being scrapped (he hadn't realised either) - broke the news gently to him - :lol::lol::lol:

Makes you wonder just how many people are blissfully unaware of this development.

HOLA447

Oracle

IS HE THAT UGLY THEN :lol:

But seriously if he has two kids or more then the misses will be in for 70% plus of the proceeds, fact is he probably only owns the downstairs toilet by the time the loan and misses is paid off but he can comfort himself knowing he’s not alone.

Edited by Justice

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

North East Hampshire. If you read this website while at work I'll know.

:lol: ahhh... you evil internet access watcher!! I don't work in Hampshire though, so probably not the same person.... unless female PM, and working for a UK outsourced svc provider on various sites?

Edited by xian

HOLA4411

North East Hampshire. If you read this website while at work I'll know.

IBM or NT-helL?

Edited by erranta

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

no neither, but having done a project at the latter, I LOVE your nickname for it!! :lol:

Just had a meal with some friends.. me and the missus were there.. niether of us own.. my mate does, he's a solicitor, just got made partner..

Moving away :( will miss the guy...

anyway he bought years ago.. does not look at equity, only looks at how much mortgage he is paying of.

being a real man he has decided to earn the money he spends..

He has commented before that in Devon he wouldn't be able to buy now.. and he is a highly paid solicitor.

anyway.. his point,

When he moved to Devon there were too many people chasing too few properties.. now it is the other way round..