House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perfectionist

Bird Flu Would Cost Economy 800 Billion ......

Bird flu is now endemic within the wild population of birds so it’s only a matter of time before migrating birds infect British birds so at a bare minimum people will be catching the virus by being close to wild birds or chickens and the more people that get the virus, then the chance of it mutating and jumping the species barrier increases.

Apparently tamiflu in conjunction with another drug puts the chance of survival at about 70% with the virus in it’s current form.

H5N1 could be the straw that breaks the camels back and brings the whole banking house of cards crashing down.

The H5N1 virus has killed at least 79 people in six countries since late 2003, according to the most recent figures from the WHO. The victims normally contract the virus through close contact with infected birds.

Sorry but no way would I cram on to a train on the London underground even wearing a face mask just to earn money to pay bank loans.

Is this nature fighting back or is it more sinister.

Vaccinations ! Do your research and used commonsense.

My best guess is if it can be spread by humans and more than a 1000 people are infected then international borders will all be locked down in an attempt to limit the spread and buy some time. Watch for signs and make sure you are not at the back of the queue when stocking up on supplies and try to plan for 6 month self imposed quarantine.

I can't help thinking Bird Flu is being over hyped ...... yes it is deadly, yes it will eventually mutate, yes previous outbreaks have killed millions ...... BUT this time around we know its coming and will be prepared !!

As you said, a self imposed quarantine would pretty much keep you out of harms way and most people will sod their jobs and lifestyle if it was the differance between life and death ......

Conspiracy Theory .......Now if everybody's depressed and cooped up in their houses ...... wouldn't sex be virtually the only thing people could do to keep their spirits up ...... is this the beginning of a new baby boomer generation :)

The boomers have created this Property Bubble and a new tranche will be needed to keep the boom/bust cycle going and ofcourse to prevent a massive pensions meltdown .......

I can't help thinking Bird Flu is being over hyped ...... yes it is deadly, yes it will eventually mutate, yes previous outbreaks have killed millions ...... BUT this time around we know its coming and will be prepared !!

As you said, a self imposed quarantine would pretty much keep you out of harms way and most people will sod their jobs and lifestyle if it was the differance between life and death ......

Conspiracy Theory .......Now if everybody's depressed and cooped up in their houses ...... wouldn't sex be virtually the only thing people could do to keep their spirits up ...... is this the beginning of a new baby boomer generation :)

The boomers have created this Property Bubble and a new tranche will be needed to keep the boom/bust cycle going and ofcourse to prevent a massive pensions meltdown .......

But if it mutate to an unknown strain normal routes of vaccine production can not be used untill it was already here. It takes time to make vacines, and if rushed they could be crap, or have all sorts of side effects. By that time the major damage would be done. Drugs I guess can help to a point, assuming they were effective against a new strain, but you would never expect them to make enough of the stuff!

I reckon it purely depends on characteristics such as severity and incubaton time and how easily it spreads.

Worst case of all three we would be shafted I think.

They knew black death was on it's way from europe and even knew rats spread it but that didn't save them.

It’s not a conspiracy to know the population is over 6bn and going up when it needs to come down especially if we are to believe peak oil and global warming.

We all know there are many people that consider themselves elite

All you need to do is put one and one together

You will find many links in Google and even a quote by Prince Charles wanting to be reincarnated as a virus, I joke not !

Was it not front page news today about euthanasia and 3000 people in the UK and you gota ask yourself if your sperm count is going up :lol:

bottom line is would you bet your life it's all one big conspiracy ?

"But if it mutate to an unknown strain normal routes of vaccine production can not be used untill it was already here. It takes time to make vacines, and if rushed they could be crap, or have all sorts of side effects. "

Thats why i said you need six months.

Did you know the UK Police stated to do a lot of riot training about 2 years ago.

Sorry but no way would I cram on to a train on the London underground even wearing a face mask just to earn money to pay bank loans.

My best guess is if it can be spread by humans and more than a 1000 people are infected then international borders will all be locked down in an attempt to limit the spread and buy some time. Watch for signs and make sure you are not at the back of the queue when stocking up on supplies and try to plan for 6 month self imposed quarantine.

As I keep trying to tell people, face masks are designed to stop those who don't know that they are infected with a virus spreading the virus to other people.

Face masks are not designed to protect the wearer from infection as viruses are not simply inhaled through the nose and mouth, actually the eyes are a more likely route of infection. All it takes is for one underground user who doesn't know they're infected to sneeze and it wouldn't matter whether you were wearing a mask or not.

Still this virus has not mutated yet and we don't know whether it will.

There would not be any point in locking down international borders and governments already know this, although it won't stop this happening. If borders are locked down it will be so that if one country beats the infection it will not be reinfected. It has been accepted by the British government that it is highly likely that a pandemic virus (not necessarily originating from bird flu) would most likely reach the UK through one of the country's airports which means that a situation where Britain can isolate those infected and likely to be infected will never happen because one infected person on board a flight and walking through an airport terminal can infect an awful lot of people before they even know they are infected.

Yes, self-imposed quarantine as you call it or 'social distancing' as the government calls it is the only way to avoid being caught in the first wave of the spread of a pandemic virus.

Here you are stocked up with 6 months baked beans and some damn duck fly over and furtively shits on your washing. Some of us live. Some of us die. Its a lottery. We are not in control. Get over it. DARWIN RULES.

underpressuretobuy

with you 100% on much of what you say but a face mask would offer a little bit of protection if infection was via lungs as is often the case.

We are starting to see a lot of WHO reports that contain words like ‘probable’ and ‘normally’ and indeed they maybe playing for time but from what I read a nurse got infected and had no contact with birds but was treating people with the virus.

£2bn in donations is a lot of money and shows how serious those in the know are taking the threat, unprecedented in history

Elizabeth

Yes sure it's a lottery but you won’t win if you don’t play or know the rules !

Yes they are funding to the tune of 1.9 billion ...... however I did smile when I read half of the money was being lent as a loan ...... what if nobody is left to pay the money back ...... :D

I take the loaning of the money as a positive sign that they reckon it won't be as bad as many of the worse case scenarios :)

Bird flu is now endemic within the wild population of birds so it’s only a matter of time before migrating birds infect British birds so at a bare minimum people will be catching the virus by being close to wild birds or chickens and the more people that get the virus, then the chance of it mutating and jumping the species barrier increases.

When it appears in the UK, which it inevitably will, it's not going to do confidence much good. I imagine the markets will take another battering. Perhaps the mortal wound to the boom and credit expansion of the last decade?

Oh yeah I hope I don't die too.

"The number of people affected will go beyond billions because between 25 percent and 30 percent will fall ill."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/11/25/birdf...ning/index.html

BUT from another forum ......

Here are some 'interesting' things about this whole H5N1 scare;

1. Certain Pharmacorps are cornering the market on Tamiflu and selling it to the highest bidder in most 3rd world countries - just cashing in on the hype?

2. Most of the nations that are being asked to eradicate their poultry stocks are 'developing' nations that really can't afford to eradicate a significant portion of their food stocks - who are these countries going to be buying their chickens from now?

3. Why haven't any 'Developed' nations suffered from panic pandemics? Here in Canada we've had H5N1 crop up in wild ducks but I have yet to see this develop into localized chicken genocide - only two farms have been quarantined.

4. Once again, just like with Mad Cow, SARS and AIDS, the USA is being a wallflower - this despite the fact that there are reported cases in the greater 48 - but I guess the USDA and USPF and other pro-corporate farmer organizations have paid the right people the right amount to keep the news hush hush - just think of how INSTANTLY the topic of Mad Cow Disease disappeared from the media radar as soon as Cases Started Cropping Up In Texas.

Man, the last time I saw such widespread, irrational fear was Y2K and I was always one of the ones laughing it up at the hype (I even made $80.00 CDN by selling someone a bogus 'Y2K Compliance Chip' at a New Years party - I love profiting from intoxicated boneheads). Then, when nothing happened and people wanted to sue the software and computer industry, I reminded those around me that it WAS THEIR DECISION TO SPEND THE MONEY ON ********. Though this didn't make anyone feel better it did remind them that the LEGAL onus of responsibility in this case laid with the individual - if you were stupid enough to buy into the hype, learn to accept that part of yourself instead of trying to mollify your bruised ego through third-party litigation.

Bird Flu ... might as well start worrying about the return of the Bubonic Plague, this is far more likely than an H5N1 pandemic.

Bird Flu ... might as well start worrying about the return of the Bubonic Plague, this is far more likely than an H5N1 pandemic.

Rubbish

Take the point on Y2K