House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dog

A Nation Of Frogs In Hot Water

If you put a frog in cold water and then heat the water up, the frog will boil to death without flinching.

A few years ago we had poll tax riots. Today we have the council tax which is much worse and is driving old people into poverty. We have outrageous house prices which is driving young people into poverty (many are little more than indentured servants of the lenders). We have rapidly rising unemployment. We have private employees working into their 70s so that public employees can retire in their 50s.

Will we ever say enough is enough?

So how do you intend we do that..?

If you have the answer, let me be the first to know. I empathise with you 100%.

There is one thing I am accutely aware of today in the UK. We are no better or worse

than repressed or 2nd/3rd World nations. Before you all jump on the band wagon about

the standards in quality of lifestyle,freedom of speech, etc, etc, there is no doubt we

are well educated & far well nourished, but lets face it gang, apart from the few that are

affluential, we still feel the underclassed, the untouchables of the western world.

I'm only glad I can share this feeling with a few other's too...

Looking at the state of the rest of the world, I don't think the average Briton has cause for complaint. But I do envy the people of some other countries who can look forward to a future that will be better than the past. In the past 50 years or so we have made some terrible mistakes but it will take time for the effects to become clear to everyone.

Having lived through a period when there were SIX MILLION unemployed officially - goodness knows how many unofficially - and no one said boo to a ghost I think things will have to be pretty dire before the British rebel.

This stiff upper lip is great when you are standing alone against the worst evil in history but bloody pathetic when you have a failing health service, teachers being beaten up in schools, incompetent Police and dirty roads!

Having lived through a period when there were SIX MILLION unemployed officially - goodness knows how many unofficially - and no one said boo to a ghost I think things will have to be pretty dire before the British rebel.

This stiff upper lip is great when you are standing alone against the worst evil in history but bloody pathetic when you have a failing health service, teachers being beaten up in schools, incompetent Police and dirty roads!

To back up the teachers comment one of my missus's mates (a very sensible no nonsense type) is leaving the UK for Oz - one of the multitude of reasons she has given is that she is physically scared of the pupils at the school she teaches at which is in Cricklewood

There is one thing I am accutely aware of today in the UK. We are no better or worse

than repressed or 2nd/3rd World nations. Before you all jump on the band wagon about

the standards in quality of lifestyle,freedom of speech, etc, etc, there is no doubt we

are well educated & far well nourished, but lets face it gang, apart from the few that are

affluential, we still feel the underclassed, the untouchables of the western world.

I'm only glad I can share this feeling with a few other's too...

Not wishing to jump on the band wagon, but having lived in and visited a few 3rd world countries I think we have a long, long way to go yet!

:blink:

So how do you intend we do that..?

Today we have seen the scandal of gross incompetence from the Child support agency and Whitehall refusing to give figures for the cost of identity cards. We have admission from Inland revenue that they have unfairly sent out penalty notices to 10,000 companies. Standards of public service have slipped so far that we hardly comment about the daily stories of waste and maladministration.

I am begining to wonder if the mistake we are making is to vote at all. We vote governments in and they promptly transform themselves into dictators within 24 hours of the election. If we gave voting a rest for one election, it might scare the hell out of them. They need to understand that democracy is a two way process.

To back up the teachers comment one of my missus's mates (a very sensible no nonsense type) is leaving the UK for Oz - one of the multitude of reasons she has given is that she is physically scared of the pupils at the school she teaches at which is in Cricklewood

My friend finally got fed up with his last school after a pupil (in broadest possible sense of the word) threw a pair of scissors at his face. Mrs btp was in a house share with him at the time. I recommended Mrs btp return to Spain where she is now training to be a teacher. I'm hoping there is no correlation between property bubbles and the child behaviour. Her current students seem to be dopey but well mannered.

btp

For those who are not aware of the boiled frog syndrome click HERE.

I believe this is a phase we are going through now. We are doing it with fuel. When it went rapidly over 80p a litre we seen our ass big time. Then it crept up to over 90p a litre. So when it goes back to 85p a litre we felt happier. This is a boiled frog system.

The housing is the same. The keep putting up asking prices so If a house is for sale 30% ABOVE ceiling price. If you got it with 15% off you would feel you got a bargain. I can catigorically say that Liverpool is OVERPRICED UP TO 40% above last sold. And I mean sold in the last 18 months!!!

If you know anyone who is looking at buying a house just tell them to look at www.houseprices.co.uk or www.ourproperty.co.uk and get last sold prices before considering an offer.

TB

Edited by teddyboy

If you put a frog in cold water and then heat the water up, the frog will boil to death without flinching.

I was told a slightly different story; that by the time the frog realises the water is too hot some aspect of muscle function has shut down so it (literally) can't move a muscle to indicate it realises what is going on.

Gave me nightmares, that one. A bit like when I read a story (don't read on if sensitive or about to undergo major surgery)

about how it's possible to be paralysed but not anaesthetised when put under general.

I was told a slightly different story; that by the time the frog realises the water is too hot some aspect of muscle function has shut down so it (literally) can't move a muscle to indicate it realises what is going on.

Gave me nightmares, that one. A bit like when I read a story (don't read on if sensitive or about to undergo major surgery)

about how it's possible to be paralysed but not anaesthetised when put under general.

I think it is as many as a few people in a thousand who can feel pain during an operation, but are unable to indicate to the medical team. Surgery is to be avoided if possible!

I had an operation during which I was anesthetised. I woke up after and had experienced nothing.

A few years later, during a deep meditation course, I had a hyperreal vision (which felt just like normal reality) where I experienced the entire operation in real time from beginning to end, faces, conversations, smells, knives, pain, instruments and all. Unfortunately, once the vision had started I couldn't stop it, and had to suffer it.

It made me wonder whether only one level of your brain is affected by the anesthetic whilst other parts are stranded awake, or even if it works by stopping memories of the event being accesible after the event.

It certainly put me off surgery for anything but car crashes and the like. :o

Had the same thing. A completely black dream with the sound of voices and scraping metal. Very strange. No pain though thankfully.

Edited by algor