House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Who Are The True Experts On The Economy?

http://biz.yahoo.com/tm/060117/13793.html

Does having a Harvard MBA make someone a better stock picker? We think not!
We're now two weeks into the TradingMarkets/Playboy 2006 Stock Picking Contest and 4 of the 10 Playboy models are beating 11,705 out of the 11,739 equity mutual fund managers in the United States. Yes, that's right, 4 of the Playboy models would be ranked in the top 1% of all mutual fund managers if Morningstar tracked their performance!

Should we ask them how deep the next HPC is going to go?

http://biz.yahoo.com/tm/060117/13793.html

Does having a Harvard MBA make someone a better stock picker? We think not!
We're now two weeks into the TradingMarkets/Playboy 2006 Stock Picking Contest and 4 of the 10 Playboy models are beating 11,705 out of the 11,739 equity mutual fund managers in the United States. Yes, that's right, 4 of the Playboy models would be ranked in the top 1% of all mutual fund managers if Morningstar tracked their performance!

Should we ask them how deep the next HPC is going to go?

Bit like Houses though everyone can be an expert when general prices are rising. I reckon Fund Managers have to manage the risk a bit more and are 'probably' less likely to have a complete blow out than a bunny.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Bit like Houses though everyone can be an expert when general prices are rising. I reckon Fund Managers have to manage the risk a bit more and are 'probably' less likely to have a complete blow out than a bunny.

I'd rather have a complete blow out from a bunny though.

Wasn't there an ape who outperformed most fund managers during the dot com boom? In fact, I seem to remember someone outpeforming them by throwing darts at company names on a dartboard.

As mentioned, it's easy to 'buy low' during a boom. The hard part is 'selling high' before it busts.

It just shows what a shallow profession it is.

If an unskilled person can outperform a professional 'parasite' at their own game then that is shameful.

Please don't tell me there are also going to be centrefolds of scantily clad, fat, balding, sweaty stockbrokers circulating in the media...

Edited by Without_a_Paddle

I bet the MBA dudes where distracted by thinking about the Playboy girls ..... :D

Personally I think education is waaaay over rated ..... especially when most of the guys have learnt the same things and all think in a similar manner ...... in a market it is the minority "outside the box" thinkers that gain and the majority "textbook followers" that lose .....

Same reason why Brazil produces some of the finest footballers in the world ..... most learn/developed their skills in their own backyard using their own intuition for the game and innovative play ..... while in Europe most are "programmed" to play in the same old way by junior leagues in football clubs :(

Totally disillusioned with my Uni experiences - think like we do or else! - will never forget an essay I wrote on pesticide usage - my angered spud head of a lecturer informed me that it wasn't what he'd expected from 'someone like me' ???!??!!&(*% (ex ICI big cheese).

I bet the MBA dudes where distracted by thinking about the Playboy girls ..... :D

Personally I think education is waaaay over rated ..... especially when most of the guys have learnt the same things and all think in a similar manner ...... in a market it is the minority "outside the box" thinkers that gain and the majority "textbook followers" that lose .....

Same reason why Brazil produces some of the finest footballers in the world ..... most learn/developed their skills in their own backyard using their own intuition for the game and innovative play ..... while in Europe most are "programmed" to play in the same old way by junior leagues in football clubs :(

Football is a sport what has that got to do with education?

Apart from education being worthwhile for people that like learning for the sake of it there are many professions where I think education is worthwhile.

Doctors, Scientists, Dentists, Teachers.

For instance I read books because I love reading not because it make me money and I would rather my docotr was educated than learning his trade in a favela. Also Brazil are mad about football, have a massive population and football can be played with a ball of rags.