House Price Crash Forum

Not Only Are The Unemployment Numbers Up

HOLA441

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/060118/214/g1g45.html

LONDON (ShareCast) - The number of people claiming jobless benefits has continued to rise, claims the latest official survey, while the number of vacancies is falling.
The Office for National Statistics said the number of people claiming Jobseeker's Advertisement
Allowance increased for the eleventh consecutive month to 909,100 in December, up 7,200 on the month before.
The average number of job vacancies for the three months to December totalled 606,500, down 12,700 on the previous quarter and 40,400 over the year

The economy is not creating enough new jobs for those being laid off from weaker sectors of the economy. Sadly, we are going to get our HPC soon but at a dreadful price. Thank you Mr Brown.

HOLA442

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/060118/214/g1g45.html

LONDON (ShareCast) - The number of people claiming jobless benefits has continued to rise, claims the latest official survey, while the number of vacancies is falling.
The Office for National Statistics said the number of people claiming Jobseeker's Advertisement
Allowance increased for the eleventh consecutive month to 909,100 in December, up 7,200 on the month before.
The average number of job vacancies for the three months to December totalled 606,500, down 12,700 on the previous quarter and 40,400 over the year

The economy is not creating enough new jobs for those being laid off from weaker sectors of the economy. Sadly, we are going to get our HPC soon but at a dreadful price. Thank you Mr Brown.

what happens if the major retailers started to lay people off ?

HOLA443

Was it only 2 days ago we had a Government Minister saying they were going to get people off Incapacity Benefit and into jobs and apply sanctions to people who didn't cooperate?

Are the jobs relevant to these people there?

Or can the Government see the Social Security budget ahead getting much larger?

Therefore starting to try to find ways to head that off.

HOLA444
HOLA445
There was further bad news from the ONS figures, as the data revealed the number of people classed as "economically inactive" rose to its highest level since records began in 1971.

This is the shocker. Who the hell are these lot? We've got a falling birth rate so they can't be kids, an increase in single parent households, so not housewives/husbands. Pensioners?

HOLA446
HOLA447

This is the shocker. Who the hell are these lot? We've got a falling birth rate so they can't be kids, an increase in single parent households, so not housewives/husbands. Pensioners?

From the ONS:

Economically inactive: people who are neither in employment nor unemployed. For example, those looking after the home, the retired, or those permanently unable to work.

Economic inactivity rates are expressed as a proportion of the working age population(men aged 16 to 64, women aged 16 to 59).

There's a spreadsheet available here that breaks down the reasons why people are "economically inactive". The three largest categories are: Looking after Home/Family (2.3M), Long Term Sick (2.1M) and Students (1.8M). There are also 40k "discouraged workers" (!?).

Edited by Ted D. Bear

HOLA448

Where I am working at the moment, they have been looking

for over one year for one tech person and one person

in sales. After 6 months, the boss relaxed his requirements.

The first girl in sales was a stunning blonde. She left as 'the job is

too hard'. The boss paid all the training. Now he'll pay the training after

6 months in the job. Then followed a 50s man. He held on for

6 weeks and left: 'too hard'. Then a young lad of 23 came in : he stayed

2 weeks. The 50s guy is now looking for a job where he doesn't

want to be bothered. The 'cute' girl is working for coop, much easier

she said. The 23 years lad has moved into marketing and is looking

for a first job in marketing - but he said 'it is hard to get into'.

The last one. A guy from Liverpool "hard working english lad ....

looking for any opportunity or any chance". I got to contact him.

His CV: full of sales jobs. We thought "great! someone we can build

something with for at least 5 years".

At the interview, the guy said : " the job center said it was a

m-a-r-k-e-t-i-n-g job. I want to get out of sales. I am hard

worker but not when it comes to selling!". I was stunned. My boss laughed :

" I am hard worker but not hard enough worker for selling!".

Our boss has now relaxed again his requirements: we've got an

overseas person who works hard in his job. He's been there 3 months,

doing a great job.

There are a LOT of jobs out there. A LOT of sales jobs, telesales jobs,...

but 'it's too hard...' I'd rather see these jobs taken here in the UK

than seeing them moved overseas with the other jobs. I'd rather

see immigrants here in the UK than me having to become an

immigrant to get a job.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Where I am working at the moment, they have been looking

for over one year for one tech person and one person

in sales. After 6 months, the boss relaxed his requirements.

The first girl in sales was a stunning blonde. She left as 'the job is

too hard'. The boss paid all the training. Now he'll pay the training after

6 months in the job. Then followed a 50s man. He held on for

6 weeks and left: 'too hard'. Then a young lad of 23 came in : he stayed

2 weeks. The 50s guy is now looking for a job where he doesn't

want to be bothered. The 'cute' girl is working for coop, much easier

she said. The 23 years lad has moved into marketing and is looking

for a first job in marketing - but he said 'it is hard to get into'.

The last one. A guy from Liverpool "hard working english lad ....

looking for any opportunity or any chance". I got to contact him.

His CV: full of sales jobs. We thought "great! someone we can build

something with for at least 5 years".

At the interview, the guy said : " the job center said it was a

m-a-r-k-e-t-i-n-g job. I want to get out of sales. I am hard

worker but not when it comes to selling!". I was stunned. My boss laughed :

" I am hard worker but not hard enough worker for selling!".

Our boss has now relaxed again his requirements: we've got an

overseas person who works hard in his job. He's been there 3 months,

doing a great job.

There are a LOT of jobs out there. A LOT of sales jobs, telesales jobs,...

but 'it's too hard...' I'd rather see these jobs taken here in the UK

than seeing them moved overseas with the other jobs. I'd rather

see immigrants here in the UK than me having to become an

immigrant to get a job.

Wage is probably crap and being erroded by immigration.

If you let 500,000 people in the country so that they can do jobs for half the previous price (and send most of their incomes out of the country) the next influx will do it for half prices again. Until we end up with poverty wages accross the country for the workers and bosses on an absolute packet.

HOLA4412

Lets be honest here Sales is not a job at all. Its just a method of harassing people to buy something they dont want and to be perfectly honest Sales people are complete and utter pain the butt.

The public know if they want to buy something, and they know where to go and get it. Sales jobs just put up the price of products, take away your sales staff and your product rests on its own merits!!!. If it dont sell, then its not good go back to the drawing board.

HOLA4413

Lets be honest here Sales is not a job at all. Its just a method of harassing people to buy something they dont want and to be perfectly honest Sales people are complete and utter pain the butt.

The public know if they want to buy something, and they know where to go and get it. Sales jobs just put up the price of products, take away your sales staff and your product rests on its own merits!!!. If it dont sell, then its not good go back to the drawing board.

Its amazing what a sales person can do, if your competitor has a good sales team your dead in the water...

HOLA4414

Just over 21 pages of jobs in the local evening paper last week - so no shortage of jobs then, why all these people on the dole?

Simple - the jobs are in Cambridge and the vast majority of them pay £11k-£16k pa. Take out tax, NI, etc, and then factor in about £4k pa for a rented room in an HMO inc. bills, council tax, etc, and you'll see why these jobs remain unfilled and why the same low-end jobs keep coming back on the market. Why the hell would anyone want to live like that long-term? Why would they want to uproot themselves from some other part of the country and move here to live in a single room with shared bathroom/kitchen, at the mercy of some iffy slumlord, when they're probably better off staying where they are and claiming benefits? These are dead-end jobs and the cheapest, slummiest dodgy studio round here I've seen was about £87.5k - 51/2 times what the better paid sh*t jobs paid.

What's wrong is that HPI has in real terms devalued the currency; where's the incentive for ordinary people to work?

HOLA4415

Just over 21 pages of jobs in the local evening paper last week - so no shortage of jobs then, why all these people on the dole?

Simple - the jobs are in Cambridge and the vast majority of them pay £11k-£16k pa. Take out tax, NI, etc, and then factor in about £4k pa for a rented room in an HMO inc. bills, council tax, etc, and you'll see why these jobs remain unfilled and why the same low-end jobs keep coming back on the market. Why the hell would anyone want to live like that long-term? Why would they want to uproot themselves from some other part of the country and move here to live in a single room with shared bathroom/kitchen, at the mercy of some iffy slumlord, when they're probably better off staying where they are and claiming benefits? These are dead-end jobs and the cheapest, slummiest dodgy studio round here I've seen was about £87.5k - 51/2 times what the better paid sh*t jobs paid.

What's wrong is that HPI has in real terms devalued the currency; where's the incentive for ordinary people to work?

Gordon Brown's "economic miracle" based on high house prices and continuing housing inflation has denied a significant segment of the population of the right to own their own home. Boasting that the average homeowner is "wealthier" than before NuLabour came to power is false as homeowners are no better off than they were before there homes went up up and away in value. Most are awash in debt and the ignorant have MEWd themselves into ruin believing house prices only go one way. Those who haven't gone into debt just own something that is "worth" 100% more than a few years ago and can do nothing about it because any house they move to costs just as much. Now their kids are left living at home or renting a filthy hovel in Cambridge! "Economic Miracle?" How about a social disaster?

HOLA4416