House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MarkyB

Times Are Changing - Inflation 50%

Fresh from BT, leaflet

"From 1st december 2005 the cost of a call made to the speaking clock will increase from 20p tp 30p!" (50% increase)

"£5 late payment charges not received with 10 days of red letter"

and monthly pay "£5 if payment not received within 7 days of red letter"

heres a tip, if your struggling to pay, change to quaterly billing, otherwise it will see late charges increasing from £5 for the qtr, to £15 for the qtr... if you are late everymonth.

Thats a Good Idea from BT then isn't it!?!? reduce cash flow, but increase profits?

"charges which were rounded up 1 tenth normally, will now be rounded up to half a penny" (wonder how much cash this will generate for BT?) why do they have to round at all... Until the end of a bill?

all im saying is Stealth Stealth Stealth :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: ... why not just increase charges by 2.4% in line with inflation... ?

also, does everyone know that there is a 4.5p connection charge with BT... even for 1 second, years ago the first 3 secs were free!... Not any more!

strange!

looking forward to your thoughts on this one!

I recently started using skype.

www.skype.com

skype - skype calls are free so if everyone you know who has internet downloads skype (which is free) then your call to them will be free.

BT better start to worry.

www.skype.com

skype - skype calls are free so if everyone you know who has internet downloads skype (which is free) then your call to them will be free.

There is also skype out, which calls a fixed line or mobile. For all these things you need a fixed line infrastructure to transfer the internet connection. I can imagine that BT are responsib;e for a lot of this infrastructure.

This just shows that the telecomms have been ripping us off for years, especially on long distance calls.

Fresh from BT, leaflet

"From 1st december 2005 the cost of a call made to the speaking clock will increase from 20p tp 30p!" (50% increase)

and monthly pay "£5 if payment not received within 7 days of red letter"

heres a tip, if your struggling to pay, change to quaterly billing, otherwise it will see late charges increasing from £5 for the qtr, to £15 for the qtr... if you are late everymonth.

Thats a Good Idea from BT then isn't it!?!? reduce cash flow, but increase profits?

"charges which were rounded up 1 tenth normally, will now be rounded up to half a penny" (wonder how much cash this will generate for BT?) why do they have to round at all... Until the end of a bill?

all im saying is Stealth Stealth Stealth :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: ... why not just increase charges by 2.4% in line with inflation... ?

also, does everyone know that there is a 4.5p connection charge with BT... even for 1 second, years ago the first 3 secs were free!... Not any more!

strange!

I don't have a problem with the late payment fees, as they seem reasonable provided that they're only applied after the reminder is sent.

I say that because when we had a BT account (Onetel now) the bills used to be sent second class with (I think) 7 day payment terms.

Second class post normally takes 2 to 5 days to arrive (worse when the postal system fell apart a couple of years back) and so by definition it is nearly impossible to pay on time as a BACS payment takes 3 to 5 days on top of that.

What got me recently was when I looked to get an 0845 number: I thought 0845 meant "local rate". But it doesn't. It means "low call rate". Which is higher than local rate. Maybe it's my misunderstanding, I had thought differently. Did anyone else think 0845 meant it was cheap? Did that change?

www.skype.com

I wouldn't start cheering yet...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4552138.stm

In Europe, some ISPs have similarly begun to block access to internet telephony services. For example, this summer reports from Germany indicated that Vodafone had begun to block Voice over IP (Voip) traffic, treating the popular Skype program as "inappropriate content."

Don't fall for the hype of skype!

They give it away virtually free because they are not bound by the UK privacy/data laws over the internet ie they record everything you talk about on the skype phone.

Everything you say, will and can be used against you(blackmail?) if you fall out of favour with "big brother" in the very near future!

strange!

Yer I know :D hence I've been using this service since Febuary last year http://www.call18866.co.uk/ it costs 4p per connection but then all UK calls are FREE apart from that connection fee.

YES thats right FREE, call any time of day any where in the UK be on the phone for as long as you want and it will only cost you 4p. Billing is done monthly via email and account is paid via direct debit on your Credit Card. You still pay BT for the line rental and any calls you make without prefixing the call with 18866.

The service is spot and you can cancel the account anytime you want via the web. If you move house just cancel the old number and in put the new number of your rental gaff or your new house. Or add a new number at another address say your Mothers for instance. Any canceled or added number instructions are activated or deactivated within minutes. You can check this has happened by trying to ring out on those numbers using the 18866 prefix, if you hear the recorded message "this call will cost zero pence per minute" is been activated. If you don't then the number you instructed to be cancelled has indeed been deactivated, it's that simple. You only pay the 4p connection charge if you actually get connected to the number your ringing.

You can check your current usage anytime via the web, showing numbers called at what time and for how long. For instance I ring my Sister in the USA and my Son in Russia for 2p a minute , go on look up how much BT will charge you per minute :rolleyes:

When I joined last Febuary it actually only cost 1p connection charge, and like now all UK calls were still free. But even at 4P connection charge it is still dirt cheap, go one treat yourselves. Just remember 0870 /0845 and the like prefixed number call rates are set by BT and hence those rates apply for those numbers. Just forget the 18866 prefix when ringing those types of numbers and you will be billed for them via your BT account.

Edit: just looked at my account online, I rang my Son in Moscow last night at 18:39:49 [6.39pm] the call lasted 23min 51secs and cost me 51.70 pence.

Yer I know :D hence I've been using this service since Febuary last year http://www.call18866.co.uk/ it costs 4p per connection but then all UK calls are FREE apart from that connection fee.

The same parent company offer http://www.call1899.co.uk as well, they charge 3p connection only for uk landline calls.

I use both as their international rates vary, some places cheaper on one than the other.

I don't have a problem with the late payment fees, as they seem reasonable provided that they're only applied after the reminder is sent.

I say that because when we had a BT account (Onetel now) the bills used to be sent second class with (I think) 7 day payment terms.

Second class post normally takes 2 to 5 days to arrive (worse when the postal system fell apart a couple of years back) and so by definition it is nearly impossible to pay on time as a BACS payment takes 3 to 5 days on top of that.

Why would you do a BACS transfer? Set up a direct debit.

I have been using Voip Cheap since december, unlike Skype where the other user must have it installed on their pc to get access to free calls, you can call any uk land line number from yor pc for free, you will need to register and deposit £10.00 credit on your account.

Have a look at this link - http://www.disqworld.net/forums/viewtopic....der=asc&start=0

My comments -

Nice find good little app,

When i first installed this application i dialled numbers and got a connection by just typing in the full area code and number, no country code, and it worked fine, the next day i tried it and it kept saying invalid number, only way to get it to dial out was to use the country code but drop the '0' from the area code, if you look in your online account at dialled numbers that is the format they are in.

When they say this application is free that is not strictly true, it is costing you your bandwidth, i run a bandwidth monitor and when on a call your pc is uploading and downloading simultaneously at between 5-6 K/Bytes per sec, 1 minute on a call is 0.72-0.78 of a Megabyte, 1 hour will cost you 43 Megabytes of bandwidth, 10 hours will cost you 430 Megabytes and so on, be careful if you are on a 2 Gig cap.

Using Audio on MSN is using about half the bandwidth that voip cheap is using, i have not measured the bandwidth by using the buddy system yet.

From Skype -

How much bandwidth does Skype use while I’m in a call?

On average, Skype uses between 3-16 kilobytes/sec depending on bandwidth available for other party, network conditions in between, callers CPU performance, etc.

How much bandwidth does Skype use when there are no active calls?

On average Skype uses 0-0.5 kilobytes/sec while idle. This is used mainly for buddy presence updates. The exact bandwidth depends on many factors.

I use skype to call Australia it is very cheap, and calls to mobiles are absolute give away.

The quality of sound is superb provided you have a decent set of headphones and a good microphone.

Its a bit of a pain to setup you laptop/desktop to use it each time, but they now sell a skype telephone and that I hear is superb.

I use One-Tel for line rental, 18185 for calls and an Orchid autodialler to save dialling the prefix.

4p connection.

0p/min UK landlines

2 - 5p/min to mobiles.

0.5p/min to Germany, France, Ireland.

Many banks are doing a similar thing to BT. Upping their charges in the background, tagging on fees for loans applications etc. Interesting to see what will happen when the scams are fully revealed concerning loan/mortgage/redundancy insurance - this was a nice little income earner, chuck out cheap loans and sell expensive insurance which in many cases there is no hope of actually claiming.

Under UK Law you have up 30 days from receipt of an invoice before you have to pay it. It is only after those 30 days are up can a company or individual then start charging you interest which is actually some calculation worked out from the BOE figure - there is a 'nice' Goverment website that explains all this but I can't be bothered to look it up right now. Brown actually brought these rules in.

Nice to see BT try and circumvent UK Law.

Under UK Law you have up 30 days from receipt of an invoice before you have to pay it. It is only after those 30 days are up can a company or individual then start charging you interest which is actually some calculation worked out from the BOE figure - there is a 'nice' Goverment website that explains all this but I can't be bothered to look it up right now. Brown actually brought these rules in.

30 days from invoice..

not 30 day from RED LETTER..

hope that clears up the confusion :P:P

who uses the talking clock these days anyway??

What if the contract stipulates a different payment term?