House Price Crash Forum

Selling Panic Closes Tokyo Market

homeless

HOLA441

Tokyo's stock exchange closed early for the first time in its history on Wednesday, in a bid to head off a meltdown after a frantic day's trading.

The move was sparked by heavy selling in shares following allegations of fraud at internet firm Livedoor.

The exchange suspended share dealing at 1440 local time (0540 GMT) - 20 minutes early - as the number of transactions threatened to breach trading capacity.

Japan's Nikkei 225 index closed down 464.77 points, or 2.94%, at 15,341.18.

Earlier in the trading session, the benchmark index sank as low as 15,059.52. Shares in Japanese technology stocks including Advantest, Canon and Toshiba were particularly hit.

The number of transactions had reached about 4 million by 1425 local time, close to the exchange's capacity of 4.5 million trades per day.

oh oh

and this is the market people were saying will rise, be vewry carefull this morning

HOLA442

Tokyo's stock exchange closed early for the first time in its history on Wednesday, in a bid to head off a meltdown after a frantic day's trading.

The move was sparked by heavy selling in shares following allegations of fraud at internet firm Livedoor.

The exchange suspended share dealing at 1440 local time (0540 GMT) - 20 minutes early - as the number of transactions threatened to breach trading capacity.

Japan's Nikkei 225 index closed down 464.77 points, or 2.94%, at 15,341.18.

Earlier in the trading session, the benchmark index sank as low as 15,059.52. Shares in Japanese technology stocks including Advantest, Canon and Toshiba were particularly hit.

The number of transactions had reached about 4 million by 1425 local time, close to the exchange's capacity of 4.5 million trades per day.

oh oh

and this is the market people were saying will rise, be vewry carefull this morning

That was my fault. I bought 10K worth of iJPN tracker shares last week (right at the top)

This always happens to me.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

That was my fault. I bought 10K worth of iJPN tracker shares last week (right at the top)

Please advise the rest of us next time you are about to buy anything.

I also find 'it always happens to me'. If you bet up and I bet down one of us must win - for a change - or maybe you'd get the only time in history where the market didn't move at all.

HOLA446

Asian Joke to lighten the mood?

A woman was depressed at the fact she had not had a date,

nor any sex for quite some time. Afraid she might have something wrong,

she decided to employ the medical expertise of a sex therapist. Her

personal physician recommended Dr Chung, a well-known Chinese sex therapist.

So she went to see him. On entering the examination room, Dr Chung took

one look at her and said,

"Hokay, take off aw your crows."

She quickly disrobed and stood naked before him.

"Now," said Dr Chung,

"get dow on your knees and craw reery reery fass away from me to other side of

room."

Having done that Dr Chung said,

"Hokay, turn row and craw reery fass back to me."

Once again, she obliged. Dr Chung slowly hook his head and said,

"Hokay, your probrem vaywe, vaywe bad, you got Ed Zachary Disease.

Worse case I ever see, that why you have no dates,

that why you no get sex."

Confused the woman asked, "What is Ed Zachary Disease?"

Dr Chung replied,

"It when your face rook Ed Zachary rike your ****!"

HOLA447

Asian Joke to lighten the mood?

A woman was depressed at the fact she had not had a date,

nor any sex for quite some time. Afraid she might have something wrong,

she decided to employ the medical expertise of a sex therapist. Her

personal physician recommended Dr Chung, a well-known Chinese sex therapist.

So she went to see him. On entering the examination room, Dr Chung took

one look at her and said,

"Hokay, take off aw your crows."

She quickly disrobed and stood naked before him.

"Now," said Dr Chung,

"get dow on your knees and craw reery reery fass away from me to other side of

room."

Having done that Dr Chung said,

"Hokay, turn row and craw reery fass back to me."

Once again, she obliged. Dr Chung slowly hook his head and said,

"Hokay, your probrem vaywe, vaywe bad, you got Ed Zachary Disease.

Worse case I ever see, that why you have no dates,

that why you no get sex."

Confused the woman asked, "What is Ed Zachary Disease?"

Dr Chung replied,

"It when your face rook Ed Zachary rike your ****!"

:lol:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Please advise the rest of us next time you are about to buy anything.

I also find 'it always happens to me'. If you bet up and I bet down one of us must win - for a change - or maybe you'd get the only time in history where the market didn't move at all.

Okay, we should try that sometime. How about I buy some Gold and you sell some?

HOLA4412

Unlucky still long term looking good surely, I sold my FTSE100 ishare today and transferred it to iJPN on the news that its fallen by 3% due to nothing more than a computer crash. Affects the big boys and all their trading malarky, but have all companies in the stockmarket make up suddenly undergone some fundamental change in their respective business and forecasts, I think not.

Lets see what happens

HOLA4413

Unlucky still long term looking good surely, I sold my FTSE100 ishare today and transferred it to iJPN on the news that its fallen by 3% due to nothing more than a computer crash. Affects the big boys and all their trading malarky, but have all companies in the stockmarket make up suddenly undergone some fundamental change in their respective business and forecasts, I think not.

Lets see what happens

I hope you're right Mr Sminty. At least ishares should be a little safer than most. It also fell about 2% on monday and 1% the previous friday so I'm only down 6% at the moment.

Well thats quite minor really (compared to some of my past losses) and I'll probably just hang on and see what happens too.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Yes,I think you're probably right!

The market was up around 25% in just a few months with some investment trusts up more - time for some consolidation I'd say.

Quite the market was due for a pullback, that doesn't mean you chuck the whole thing out though, anymore than a pullback in gold to $525 would mean that it was time to get out of gold.

Japans not as cheap as it was butu don't forget that we can look forward to some yen appreciation ( in all liklihood ) meaning currency gains even when the market itself is flattish.