House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lord Lucan

Need A Plumber Fast?

According to the BBC's PM programme, the UK now does not have a shortage of plumbers. Gone are the days of high pricing and waiting all day for the chance of one to turn up.

According to the piece, there are now so many coming out of training that some will find it hard to get work.

Put it down to many more coming through, but also less work to do as the construction industry slows.

So the plumbing bubble's burst? I thought plumber's hourly rates only ever went up.

You people are all muppets, plumbers are in short supply. Look, it says so here in the Daily Mail.

I'm currently buying a 25% share of a plumber called Dave with 3 friends as I've been priced out of getting my own.

Quality...

There arent enough plumbers..

a few yers later..

too many..... oh look the bandwagon. lets take a run up... leap..

You people are all muppets, plumbers are in short supply. Look, it says so here in the Daily Mail.

I'm currently buying a 25% share of a plumber called Dave with 3 friends as I've been priced out of getting my own.

Maybe we should get into the Buy-To-Wet market? Or would that be money down the drain?

Its the laws of supply and demand. Some just got too greedy - I remember one wanted £250 for putting a 5" flue liner in. The amount of bull I got when getting a plumber - corgi registration, messy job as have to work in the chimney etc etc. Lying f*******. Eventually got one for £120 and he was done in 15 mins. Even worse than dentists.

Actually, I looked into becoming a plumber back in 2002/03 when the IT industry had no jobs at all. I tried to retrain as a plumber, even willing to pay for a X month intensive course, but the reality was that I could not. I could pay X thousand and train to be a Microsoft or Cisco engineer but not a boy who changes a washer in a tap.

I contacted the various UK training bodies and, IMPO, I found a very out of date organisation which, IMPO, was deliberately out of date in that they wanted people to do X years appenticeship before you could become a plumber - I mean, how long does it take to learn to put a u-bend in. I concluded that they simply wanted to maintain a shortage of plumbers in order to keep their rates up and when I spoke to one person in the main trade organisation abuot this she confirmed that I was right. She told me that whilst a few wanted the training modernised that the majority were out of date and obsessed with very slow, out of date training practices.

So, I am not surprised now to see that there is a glut of plumbers predominantly, so I gather, from Poland and elsewhere in Europe coming in and doing better work for less money - ha bloody ha ha to uK plumbers!

the problem is, there is still a shortage of good time served plumbers, all that has happened is the ranks have been filled with lots of 6 week plumbers who i wouldnt trust with a hosepipe in my garden.

My parents had a new bathroom and radiators installed last year, and i was a bit suspicious when i saw him using combinations of fittings and pipes, 3 weeks later the ceiling in the kitchen collapsed because the muppet had not put a push fitting on correctly and had been leaking. The Radiators were poorly installed and i ended up refitting them

The plumber I've had sorting my burst pipe recently has been working 7 day weeks for months now. He gets up around 6 am and is regularly working till 8 and 9 at night.

There's no shortage of work for him, I can assure you.

The plumber I've had sorting my burst pipe recently has been working 7 day weeks for months now. He gets up around 6 am and is regularly working till 8 and 9 at night.

There's no shortage of work for him, I can assure you.

It was the grossly exaggerated earnings that attracted people onto it. My bloke's brother in law is a plumber in the Midlands. He's never short of work but the 'earn 50k' a year stuff that the press reported was all bobbins (says he).

its almost like I could draw a parallel with press hysteria about other 'get rich quick schemes'........what could that be????

I got taken in by the 'massive shortage' line when I was offered voluntary redundancy in May last year. I took it, assuming that I'd be able to retrain as a plumber, but I couldn't get on a course. It probably didn't help that I was one year too old to get a modern apprenticeship or whatever they're called :rolleyes:. I'm now applying to become a bus driver- still good money, and hopefully less contact with sewage :ph34r:.

Trouble is, there's a 14 week waiting list for an interview now- wish I'd applied before Big Red Bus screened on national telly :angry:. Still, once I'm in, I should have a pretty safe job driving over-MEWed bankrupts to the job centre :D.

Immigrant workers are putting a lot of trades men out of work and plumbers are worth a little extra as who wants to be a $hit house mechanic without being paid a bit extra.

Was I to be a plumber then I would ensure a few BTL’s had a leak a few weeks after I completed work for them, that will put em in it. :lol:

Actually, I looked into becoming a plumber back in 2002/03 when the IT industry had no jobs at all. I tried to retrain as a plumber, even willing to pay for a X month intensive course, but the reality was that I could not. I could pay X thousand and train to be a Microsoft or Cisco engineer but not a boy who changes a washer in a tap.

I contacted the various UK training bodies and, IMPO, I found a very out of date organisation which, IMPO, was deliberately out of date in that they wanted people to do X years appenticeship before you could become a plumber - I mean, how long does it take to learn to put a u-bend in. I concluded that they simply wanted to maintain a shortage of plumbers in order to keep their rates up and when I spoke to one person in the main trade organisation abuot this she confirmed that I was right. She told me that whilst a few wanted the training modernised that the majority were out of date and obsessed with very slow, out of date training practices.

So, I am not surprised now to see that there is a glut of plumbers predominantly, so I gather, from Poland and elsewhere in Europe coming in and doing better work for less money - ha bloody ha ha to uK plumbers!

You are probably onto something here.

I looked into a plumbing course around 2 years ago at a local college. You could only get on the course if you were already working in the industry(!!!!!), or had been unemployed for more than 6 months.

Struck me as a closed shop.

On another point, putting gas work to the side, do you need qualifications at all to do plumbing work? Anyone know?

NDL

the masked turnip knows nothing about plumbing. e europe plumbers dont cut the mustard they are cr@p. perhaps more e europeans in it

Anyone can be a plummer, however as you say you cannot touch Gas Work.

On a house installation you simple do the job and pay a Corgi Registered Plummer to do the testing, thats what all plumming companies do. They only have a single Corgi Registered operative the rest are spanner and blowlamp monkeys.