House Price Crash Forum

Desparate Flat Owner Tries A Raffle

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...ge_id=1770&ct=5

Victoria Topley is offering her one-bedroom flat in Finchley, north London, to the person who correctly guesses how much it is worth. It costs £2.50 to enter the competition and people can have as many guesses as they want.
The flat was put on the market in September but there was very little interest in it and as the market began to slow down in the run-up to Christmas she decided more drastic action was needed.

Why doesn't she just wait for the Spring bounce??? Signs of desparation setting in.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest Bart of Darkness
to the person who correctly guesses how much it is worth.

Is that in the real world or the current fantasy world that is the UK property market?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

BBC London News. The winner will be announced next month. ;)

It may not be difficult. My sources indicate that currently a total of 0 tickets have been sold (from useful paypal tricks I discovered a while back).

I won't be too hard on her tho. The entry price is fair even if it is an illegal lottery.

HOLA447
HOLA448

That's interesting.

The last time I heard about this sort of thing was about 16 years ago.

Oh......... :o

You kept the internet to yourself 4 a few years didn't you?

I don't think she has 2 give it away unless she reaches the mythical valuation in entry fees;that is somewhere in the small print. <_<

HOLA449

You kept the internet to yourself 4 a few years didn't you?

I don't think she has 2 give it away unless she reaches the mythical valuation in entry fees;that is somewhere in the small print. <_<

Yeah, there is a cash prize equivalent to half of the 'value' of the property if the proceeds don't cover the asking price.

Laughable... :D

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Sounds like an illegal lottery to me. Anyone care to write a letter to the police?

It is. However its too painfully trying to explain to the police what the crime is, how it actually is a crime, what the evidence is that shows that it is.......

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I thought most lotteries of this type had proven to be failures in the past?

They are usually because you need to sell twice as much to cover the cost. In this case she does seem to have a decent clue:

The price is less than a pint of beer

and the competition is fine (albeit rather girly and not an element of skill).

There is a reason why all the car competitions at airports run spot the ball competitions (as newspapers did until bingo appeared). Its the only legal way of running these (although that is I think a male oriented version).

Do I wish her luck, I think this time she has done the legwork correctly so yes I do.

Will she sell enough tickets. No but I think eventually someone will get it right and will (I'm not sure I can get the numbers to stock up and run it as a business tho).

HOLA4416

I thought most lotteries of this type had proven to be failures in the past?

I heard this on the radio last Sunday. The expert (a VI) said none of these types of ideas had worked yet,but he was sure if enough people try someone will make it stick soon. Then the flood gates will be open.

It's never going to happen though.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4419

This was in the local paper again last week - can't remember what the local paper is "hendon times" or "finchley ???". Anyway she managed to raise about £25k. I thought all of this would have to go to the winner - however she managed to keep about £10k and the rest went on the prize. House still unsold.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

This was in the local paper again last week - can't remember what the local paper is "hendon times" or "finchley ???". Anyway she managed to raise about £25k. I thought all of this would have to go to the winner - however she managed to keep about £10k and the rest went on the prize. House still unsold.

But thats a right result for her isn't it? -and presumably this was the intention all along. She gets to keep half the money and her house. Is that legal?