House Price Crash Forum
intel

Buying Abroad

I am very keen to get into property investment, but I am worried as I haven't had any experience of it as yet.

I am particularly interested in buying property abroad, I have heard a few good things about countries such as Bulgaria.

Please share your thoughts/opinions/advice,

Thanks

I am very keen to get into property investment, but I am worried as I haven't had any experience of it as yet.

I am particularly interested in buying property abroad, I have heard a few good things about countries such as Bulgaria.

Thanks

Don`t touch Spain with the proverbial pole

I'm curious,

Why should he not touch spain i heard that spain was nice but haven't had any experience with buying property there myself only bought property in US. Please explain if you can.

Nansi

I'm curious,

Why should he not touch spain i heard that spain was nice but haven't had any experience with buying property there myself only bought property in US. Please explain if you can.

Nansi

IMHO Spanish property is currently way overpriced, badly built and ready for a sharp correction given massive oversupply and increasing interest rates from the ECB

Thanks

There was recently a top 25 for European countries with best investment potential. This was on C4 and in a magazine. Although I love the idea of Bulgaria it is not particularly good as investment potential (number 24 on the list). Top of the list was Roumania then Poland then Portugal.

There was recently a top 25 for European countries with best investment potential. This was on C4 and in a magazine. Although I love the idea of Bulgaria it is not particularly good as investment potential (number 24 on the list). Top of the list was Roumania then Poland then Portugal.

Penbat1

I would not pay too much attention to the top 25 Place in the Sun assessment which put Bulgaria at 24.

This is because their calculation is based partly upon what the average price of property in Bulgaria is now which they state is 69k euros, whereas Romania is 25k euros. Also the reason that Portugal is number 3 on their list is because they put the average price of property in Portugal at 74k euros.

Therefore they are saying that property in Bulgaria is currently almost as expensive as Portugal and nearly 3 times that of Romania which is just rubbish! Prices in Bulgaria are very comparable (if not cheaper than Romania).

It is a poorly put together survey. There are plenty of other surveys which have a much more favourable assessment of the investment potential of Bulgaria. Eg this was from yesterday:

http://www.sofiaecho.com/article/positive-..._13225/catid_38

Penbat1

I would not pay too much attention to the top 25 Place in the Sun assessment which put Bulgaria at 24.

This is because their calculation is based partly upon what the average price of property in Bulgaria is now which they state is 69k euros, whereas Romania is 25k euros. Also the reason that Portugal is number 3 on their list is because they put the average price of property in Portugal at 74k euros.

Therefore they are saying that property in Bulgaria is currently almost as expensive as Portugal and nearly 3 times that of Romania which is just rubbish! Prices in Bulgaria are very comparable (if not cheaper than Romania).

It is a poorly put together survey. There are plenty of other surveys which have a much more favourable assessment of the investment potential of Bulgaria. Eg this was from yesterday:

http://www.sofiaecho.com/article/positive-..._13225/catid_38

I knew the 25 Place in the Sun thing needed to be taken with a large pinch of salt but on the otherhand there could be an element of VI talk in the link you gave. Personally, as i am not interested in making money out of a property in Bulgaria, just want somewhere cheap to live, I would love property prices in Bulgaria to sink like mad so when I buy they will be even more insanely cheap than they are now.

I knew the 25 Place in the Sun thing needed to be taken with a large pinch of salt but on the otherhand there could be an element of VI talk in the link you gave. Personally, as i am not interested in making money out of a property in Bulgaria, just want somewhere cheap to live, I would love property prices in Bulgaria to sink like mad so when I buy they will be even more insanely cheap than they are now.

If you look hard enough and you want to live there, you can still find properties under 20K. You will have to do some renovation work on properties at this price range.

If you look hard enough and you want to live there, you can still find properties under 20K. You will have to do some renovation work on properties at this price range.

Thanks for response but i am already pretty clued up on this ref http://www.mybulgaria.info/bulgaria-property-forums.html In somewhere like Yambol area you can easily buy somewhere for about £7,000 plus renovation costs. It is also a bit of a secret that if you cut out the estate agent and deal with a Bulgarian seller direct using an interpreter you can buy them as cheap as £2,000 !!!!