House Price Crash Forum
Catch22

Beat The Bailiff 17th Jan

Mummy and Daddy keep bailing him out so he keeps spending

He as no job and not looking, Daddy pays his golf fees.

Lives in Mummy and Daddies garage with his girlfriend.

Edited by Catch22

Bit like the rest of the population then, Mummy and Daddy being the central bank.

His total debt [actual 28K] includes around 9K to his parents, the rest is plastic and two bank consolidation loans. Runs a little Merc and takes the p@ss out of his parents, who only have themselves to blame if you ask me. Said he needed his PC for looking for jobs, but once it was taking away by the Bailiffs he used the family PC to buy an electric golf trolley. Buys his booze down the pub on his Dads tab, M&D also buy his ciggies :D:D:D:D:D

I'd seen the thread yesterday about "beat the bailiff" and assumed it was a spoof that'd been dreamed up by people on here - but no I watched it this morning.

How we laughed.

Utterly shocking but there's probably a lot of people out there who can relate to his over-enthusiastic spending and silly parents.

Was interesting format for show - although why she didn't suggest a carboot to sell his stuff I don't know :)

We're really in the mood for a bailiff auction now though - lets buy someone's stuff for next to nothing eh!

Edited by SarahBell

If I was in his parents place I think I would have been tempted to persuade him to go bankrupt. He would then have six years to learn the hard way about paying for things AFTER you earn the money for them. Anything his parents really aproved of borrowing money for (such as tools for a plumbing job) they could always get or guarantee a loan on his behalf. He has no chance really of buying a house in the next 6 years anyway in my opinion so the mortgage issue is irrelevant. Banks are/will be tightening up on who they lend money to and unless he lies about his debt they won't touch him till his debts are substantially reduced (prob at least 6 years anyway)

:blink: The mind boggles

Treat adults like kids and they'll act like kids. Make people responsible for their actions and they'll act like adults -> maybe :unsure:

I didn't see this programme, but it sounds very much like this young chap needs to be thrashed to within an inch of his vapid, parasitic life.

For those concerned about how boomers are stripping the wealth from future generations - see here how that wealth is really being passed on.

So, so wrong.

If this country ever has to go to war again, we're knackered! :blink:

I didn't see this programme, but it sounds very much like this young chap needs to be thrashed to within an inch of his vapid, parasitic life.

For those concerned about how boomers are stripping the wealth from future generations - see here how that wealth is really being passed on.

So, so wrong.

If this country ever has to go to war again, we're knackered! :blink:

Thankfully the guy in this programme is in the minority and we wouldn't need to rely on his kind if it came to war. We have a generation of underprivileged ill educated young men for that. Most are cunning and resourceful and have just the right morals to excel in warfare. The papers call them Chav's but I think it's an unfair stereotype. Why is it ok to label poor white people in a way that would cause uproar for any other social group?

Thankfully the guy in this programme is in the minority and we wouldn't need to rely on his kind if it came to war. We have a generation of underprivileged ill educated young men for that. Most are cunning and resourceful and have just the right morals to excel in warfare. The papers call them Chav's but I think it's an unfair stereotype. Why is it ok to label poor white people in a way that would cause uproar for any other social group?

We need infantry from somewhere i suppose

I don;t know why everybody is getting hot under the collar about this.

Surely the garage is worth £29K on its own. A 200% mortgage and the guy will have it all sorted - loan paid off, he'll be on the ladder and he won't have to worry about a pension either because some mug will buy it when he retires at 50 for a price that will allow him to retire in style to which he has become accustomed in the costas?

I don;t know why everybody is getting hot under the collar about this.

Surely the garage is worth £29K on its own. A 200% mortgage and the guy will have it all sorted - loan paid off, he'll be on the ladder and he won't have to worry about a pension either because some mug will buy it when he retires at 50 for a price that will allow him to retire in style to which he has become accustomed in the costas?

And don't forget this is no ordinary garage, it comes with an en-suite house attached to it :D

Treat adults like kids and they'll act like kids. Make people responsible for their actions and they'll act like adults -> maybe :unsure:

Observation suggests that they refuse to take responsibility for their own actions these days, hence resulting in absurd lawsuits and our lovely growing blame culture.

Just been reminded on another thread of a thought: his bank loans were consolidation loans presumably he's been aware of being bad with money, debt etc ... I imagine his spending on CC was higher and had been moved to a loan.

This'd be great to see in a year time whether he had learnt anything.

Dammit! I meant to record this. Is it repeated do you know?

Bit like the rest of the population then, Mummy and Daddy being the central bank.

My daughter actually calls me the Bank of Dad!

One benefit of having some cash savings is that I can afford to give the kids interest free loans e.g. for annual rail season tickets to work etc. The rule is that they pay the capital back to me by monthly direct debit over a year, so all they save is the interest payments.

I hate the idea of them paying high IRs to banks etc, while I'm getting a measly 5% before tax, and it's a painless way to help them!

Guest Bart of Darkness

And don't forget this is no ordinary garage, it comes with an en-suite house attached to it :D

Best laugh of the day, cheers Catch-22. :lol:

If I was in his parents place I think I would have been tempted to persuade him to go bankrupt. He would then have six years to learn the hard way about paying for things AFTER you earn the money for them.

Err... you mean 6 months (well, 12 actually).

Yup, have a good time, run up massive debts, don't pay any of your bills, go bankrupt and start all over again in 12 months, I hope you've learnt your lesson young man!

Surely the garage is worth £29K on its own. A 200% mortgage and the guy will have it all sorted - loan paid off, he'll be on the ladder and he won't have to worry about a pension either

Indeed, he could rent it out to boot, I'm sure there's a few people about who are willing to pay to park their car in his garage :o

He’s entirely the product of his parents. They allowed him to become what he is.

I have no sympathy for any of them. Did someone mention he needed the computer to look for a job? I’m sure in the programme they mentioned that the PC cost either £1200 or £1500 :blink:

He’s entirely the product of his parents. They allowed him to become what he is.

I have no sympathy for any of them. Did someone mention he needed the computer to look for a job? I’m sure in the programme they mentioned that the PC cost either £1200 or £1500 :blink:

Indeed. Apart from the fact that a perfectly good computer costs under 400, has he never heard of a newspaper? My local newspaper has 100's of jobs in it and costs the princely sum of 35p.

This sort of case really highlights how lax lending is though. Surely if someone like that went to a bank 20 years ago for a loan he would be denied it because he's a feckless waster.

A few things really tickled me about this programme today.

Firstly we've had a stream of programmes from the Beeb over the last few years telling us how we can make a fortune from raiding our attic and going to auction, doing a car boot sale with the junk sat in our homes. Now they are saying that you won't get sweet f.a. for your possesions and it's all pretty worthless.

Dh and I were rolling on the floor laughing when Lorne pointed out that he had wasted 12k on partying. When she asked him what he would do if he could have that 12k back did he say he was going to pay off some of his debts? Good grief no, he said he would spend it on a wedding. Priceless!

Err... you mean 6 months (well, 12 actually).

No need to be sarcastic. If you go bankrupt it remains on your credit file for 6 years making it much more difficult to get a loan or mortgage.