House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hino98

Westcorp ?

Just before I went to bed last night, I saw a report on the TV news that a 'Westcorp', a large Australian Property Development company, had gone belly-up.

This morning I rushed to my pc, hoping to hear all the gory details, and I can't find a single report of any crash on the net. There doesn't seem to be anything in the Australian newspapers, and the local TV station is also acting dumb.

Tell me I wasn't dreaming.

Guest Winners and Losers

Hey Hino98, you are in Newcastle right? I have a house nearby. How is the market doing over there? Grim?

Just before I went to bed last night, I saw a report on the TV news that a 'Westcorp', a large Australian Property Development company, had gone belly-up.

This morning I rushed to my pc, hoping to hear all the gory details, and I can't find a single report of any crash on the net. There doesn't seem to be anything in the Australian newspapers, and the local TV station is also acting dumb.

Tell me I wasn't dreaming.

Hi Tent,

Thanks for that, I thought I was cracking-up :)

Hi WaL,

I'm in Toronto, just south of Newcastle and yes, the market is pretty grim here. Though I know most of the local EA's personally, and they are all saying that there has been a real surge in interest following the Christmas break.

My ex-wife works part time for one of the agents, and she tells me that they are "rushed off their feet" with enquiries.

Whether all this 'interest' will result in the market picking-up though, is anyone's guess.

It's the final week of the schools Christmas holidays, and there are still quite a few visitors in the town, it might just be a case holiday boredom, and the ladies wanting to have a 'sticky-beak' at other ladies houses :)

Guest Winners and Losers

Hhmmmm. Thanks for the update. We shall wait and see. We had our house on the market for 12mths. Not an offer, even after a price drop to only 40K more than we paid in 2002. Decided to rent it out. Glad we did now in one sense, as would like to return home again one day. How's the weather? Nice and hot! Me and my partner both worked in Newcastle for a few years. I worked for Hunter Health. Just hope the tenants are wrecking the place!!!! Rent doesn't even cover mortgage! Madness! What about the rush to fix rates over there? Think its worth doing? I think the ozzie EA's are even bigger snakes than the one's over here - they all look and sound like used car salesmen!

Hi Tent,

Thanks for that, I thought I was cracking-up :)

Hi WaL,

I'm in Toronto, just south of Newcastle and yes, the market is pretty grim here. Though I know most of the local EA's personally, and they are all saying that there has been a real surge in interest following the Christmas break.

My ex-wife works part time for one of the agents, and she tells me that they are "rushed off their feet" with enquiries.

Whether all this 'interest' will result in the market picking-up though, is anyone's guess.

It's the final week of the schools Christmas holidays, and there are still quite a few visitors in the town, it might just be a case holiday boredom, and the ladies wanting to have a 'sticky-beak' at other ladies houses :)