House Price Crash Forum
Guest wrongmove

Age Demographics

Guest wrongmove

This graph shows that the real baby-boomers are not the fifty-somethings, but aged 35-45

(source: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/nugget.asp?ID=6)

demo.gif

The graph is mid 2004, so it's a couple of years out of date now. The baby-boomers are the spike aged 53-58 (now 55-60). But look at the bulge centred at age 40 (the boomer kids). So wghat are the now twenty-somethings going to think of us 35-45 year olds in a decades time ? (I am 37). Will we be giivng our houses to them at bargain prices ? I wonder............

post-210-1137441243.gif

Guest Charlie The Tramp

So that means right freds dead is included in the new boomers. I wonder what he will say to that, watch out you youngsters when freds about. :D

An interesting graph.

I've always found the 'boomer problem' highlighted in this forum by so many a bit overblown.

Heck, if me and my wife had been at this stage of life five years ago we'd have been able to buy something in this area for well under half current prices.

Even then our Parents might have been able to buy better homes on lower incomes with less education behind them but, hey, our lot wouldn't have been too bad. I'd be perfectly happy with half-price houses, even if they'd still be rip-offs by Candian standards.

It might be vaguely annoying when your boomer relatives just don't seem to 'get' just how dire things are. Stiill, the current misery is the result of a cocktail of failures in social and monetary policy (removing so much social housing, complete lack of credit regulation), etc. rather than a planned boomer conspiracy.

Guest wrongmove

So that means right freds dead is included in the new boomers. I wonder what he will say to that, watch out you youngsters when freds about. :D

I thought you would enjoy that graph Charlie ! :P

This graph shows that the real baby-boomers are not the fifty-somethings, but aged 35-45

(source: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/nugget.asp?ID=6)

demo.gif

I don't know. Between 45-55, how many deaths would you expect? Could death have eroded the peak of the baby boom?

The "mythical" status of the boomer generation doesn't make sense if there were more people born later.

I don't know. Between 45-55, how many deaths would you expect? Could death have eroded the peak of the baby boom?

The "mythical" status of the boomer generation doesn't make sense if there were more people born later.

Once again! No. No. No. Let's put this one to rest, shall we? Baby boom 1945/6 to 1964!

UK pop 1995 (Courtesy nationmaster.com)

uk-1995.png

UK pop 2005

uk-2005.png

est UK pop 2020

uk-2020.png

No massive dying off of the population (urban legend). Just a natural progression.

Edited by gone west

My very first post here was to this effect - that the house price boom was driven by a MASSIVE amount of people (the Boomer-Echos) all nesting at the same time.

I theorised that when the main bun-fight was over then the potential nesters coming up behind them would be too few in number to keep prices afloat. I know it's not all about supply and demand but large numbers of people all wanting the same thing create a mania.

THis group of 40-year olds have been the real driving force behind almost every fad since the late 70's. Just look at music fashions.

And TV progs - no more Young Ones or Lieutenant George in Blackadder - now we have to watch Hugh Laurie pretending to be a doctor!

I'm just behind the Echo Generation (36) and have spent my life getting hand-me-downs from my brother (now 40) and housing will be the same.

Ah well.

RFD's a Boomer but he missed out, that's one dumb Boomer if you ask me :P:P:P:P;)

Us of the "pre Boomer" generation had less consumer toys to play with, but were very active between the sheets. What with that and higher sperm counts our pencils were fully loaded and in much demand.banana1.gif