House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHERWICK

Murder Of City Lawyer Caused By Hpi?

Think about it. What was a City lawyer doing living in Willesden, an area known historically as a muggers paradise? In London, many people earning up to £75k (maybe more) are being forced to live in rubbish areas if they want a house and not a flat.

how do the baddies afford to live there then ?

Aha. The real RFD at last :P

Those baddies live there because they are in council flats.

The not so baddies perhaps bought there some time ago, perhaps even bought their council flat.

how do the baddies afford to live there then ?

The Standard has the victim leaving Kensal Rise station.

Kensal Rise is ~10 minutes walk from Stonebridge Park estate or Church End estate (tho Church End may have been demolished now.)

Basically, it's a suburb of Harlsden, which is a centre of black-on-black gun crime.

I'm only surprised he wasn't shot.

Does anyone else find it distasteful that a man killed ... should be used to advance someone's argument about the ills of house price inflation?

Yes, I think it's insensitive and dreadfully self-centred. London has always been a mix of rich and poor, and tragic things happen at all times in history. House prices are bothering the people who come to this site, but they aren't the only thing in the world - keep a bit of perspective on what really matters... This was a terrible event and some respect should be shown.

Guest magnoliawalls

Does anyone else find it distasteful that a British man killed on the streets of London by two blacks, should be used to advance someone's argument about the ills of house price inflation?

Do you think that those who buy houses in areas like this "to get on the ladder" are not at greater risk? If a professional can only afford a home in a "muggers paradise" doesn't it show that something is badly wrong?

If we do not have rampant inflation, in a few years time you will have the children of middle class parents growing up in areas like this.

Do you think that those who buy houses in areas like this "to get on the ladder" are not at greater risk? If a professional can only afford a home in a "muggers paradise" doesn't it show that something is badly wrong?

If we do not have rampant inflation, in a few years time you will have the children of middle class parents growing up in areas like this.

The best, and arguably the worst, thing about living in London is the proximity of wealthy and appalling deprived areas.

I used to work in Harlesden and used to play football near the Stonebridge estate against anyone and everyone. No animosity. Sport is brilliant for integration.

"Muggers paradise" is just a lazy media phrase. Notting Hill / Fulham / Battersea / Wandsworth were all regarded as grim run down areas not too long ago.

Guest magnoliawalls

The best, and arguably the worst, thing about living in London is the proximity of wealthy and appalling deprived areas.

I used to work in Harlesden and used to play football near the Stonebridge estate against anyone and everyone. No animosity. Sport is brilliant for integration.

"Muggers paradise" is just a lazy media phrase. Notting Hill / Fulham / Battersea / Wandsworth were all regarded as grim run down areas not too long ago.

Fair enough - I have rented in areas with a bad reputation, where my neighbours were mainly in council owned property. I have fond memories of one house where our neighbours burnt out a stolen car in our driveway and then spray painted some threats on it. I never felt that I was in any real danger of being personally attacked, and I had nothing worth stealing so I was happy enough to live there.

But there are some areas in any big city that are really dangerous, especially if you stand out as being white and expensively dressed in an area described as "a centre of black-on-black gun crime".

Fair enough - I have rented in areas with a bad reputation, where my neighbours were mainly in council owned property. I have fond memories of one house where our neighbours burnt out a stolen car in our driveway and then spray painted some threats on it. I never felt that I was in any real danger of being personally attacked, and I had nothing worth stealing so I was happy enough to live there.

But there are some areas in any big city that are really dangerous, especially if you stand out as being white and expensively dressed in an area described as "a centre of black-on-black gun crime".

The "centre of black on black gun crime" is a reference to the battle for drug supply. Nothing to do with the mugging by 2 criminals of another individual. I see the media has just shown the 2 crims mugging an asian guy on the platform earlier.

Do we even know where these 2 muggers live? They might live in adjoining luxury penthouses in docklands for all we know.

Well not being pedantic here but Black on Black Crime is actually a reference to the statistic that Blacks in London are targetting other Blacks in their communiites.

Its wasnt very PC to talk about it a couple of years ago, and no doubt there are laws that would put you in prison for even pointing it out today. However it does exist, it is not limited to Drugs, it covers a variety of illegal activities and it is currently being investigated by the Met in an attempt to stamp it out. Jamaican's were the initial culprits however due to PC the police were unable to nip it in the bud, its now an epidemic with Yardies having control of many streets and neighbourhoods.

Poor diddums. Perhaps we should have strict rules denoting middle class and underclass areas, so everyone is clear where they should live?

I agree completely with Ignorant Steve's answer to this as to how areas of London change - if it weren't for that possibility there would be zero social mobility. Beyond that, and the fact that the way this crime is being linked to HPI in this thread is insensitive, bear in mind that it's not just HPI that makes areas change.

Some of the biggest middle class influxes to "poor areas" have come when houses are cheap and the middle class spot a chance to buy a nice big house/flat in return for dealing with a slightly rougher area. Areas like Kensal and Stoke Newington (which borders on Clapton's murder mile) became much more middle class than previously in the early nineties when prices there were low.