House Price Crash Forum

You Biggest Ever Financial Loss?...

Pete95

HOLA441

Im guessing there are probably some people on here who lost a lot of money over a short period of time during the last housing crash?

My biggest financial loses have been £1000 in shares in a company which went bust. :(

Also lost £1200 when I was accussed of damaging a works van. The damage was on it when I borrowed it, but I couldnt prove otherwise and got stitched :angry:

Edited by Pete95

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Im guessing there are probably some people on here who lost a lot of money over a short period of time during the last housing crash?

My biggest financial loses have been £1000 in shares in a company which went bust. :(

Also lost £1200 when I was accussed of damaging a works van. The damage was on it when I borrowed it, but I couldnt prove otherwise and got stitched :angry:

Jeez where do I start OK this is the worst loss, but maybe not, I`ll explain. I created an online retailer in 1999, concentrating on white goods, brown goods, everything we sold was at least 10-15% cheaper than Dixons etc. Anyhow put myself about, didn`t do that First Tuesday nonsense though. As is normally the way with me the more I do the luckier I get. Phone call from an internet incubator remember them :lol: Cut a long story short they agree to buy half the company for 1 million quid. However, they are floated and wish to give me 1 mill worth of their shares worth at the time 100p each. Catch? a tie in/lock in for 12 months I would not be able to sell for 12 months. You know what`s coming don`t you? I watched the shares destroy in value down from 100p to 3p and then they dissolved the incubator company/wound it up. I lost heart gave up the job. So that`s my biggest loss, 1mil, beat that :(

Edited by Converted Lurker

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I bought a flat in spring 1990 for £65k. Sold in 1995 for £45k after being on the market for a year.

Location was Warwickshire. Bought again in 2000 in London and sold in 2003: more than recovered loss! Now STR.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Went to buy a house when my girlfriend was pregnant..

Discovered that a credit card company had actually blacklisted me over many months due to a clerical error durring a period when I didn't even have a card with them.

the subsequent fallout and massive delays lost me the house I was buying, my baby and my girlfriend..

I have an appology letter from the CC Company.. Bit late but there you go..

so thats quite a loss..

buggers..

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Borrowed my brother my motor - he got a parking ticket.

When the notice arrived I gave it to him to pay....

He did'nt pay it but told me he had.

6 months and lots of wrangling later - I had to go to court and got find £1,000

Lost and a grand and a brother that day....that was 7 years ago and I've never spoken to or seen him since. It's not all bad though...his missus dumped him and lives like a fcking doley tramp, so I suppose there is justice in this world after all :D:D:D

...and before anybody starts on at me - he NEVER offered to repay that grand which I had to PAY

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I lost £75,000 on my car!

The asking price was £78,000 but I couldn't sell it, so I let it go for £3k instead. In the eyes of a property owner that's a cool £75k loss.

It must have been knackered!

Lost and a grand and a brother that day....that was 7 years ago and I've never spoken to or seen him since. It's not all bad though...his missus dumped him and lives like a fcking doley tramp, so I suppose there is justice in this world after all :D:D:D

Damn, I don't know the wider circumstances but that's harsh, all because of a fricking parking ticket?

HOLA4417
Borrowed my brother my motor - he got a parking ticket.

When the notice arrived I gave it to him to pay....

He did'nt pay it but told me he had.

6 months and lots of wrangling later - I had to go to court and got find £1,000

...and before anybody starts on at me - he NEVER offered to repay that grand which I had to PAY

A friend at uni lent his girlfriend at the time £3k, I said to him don't do it and pointed out all the pit falls etc etc - but he trusted her, he was so in love. That was 5 years ago, they split up a few months later and he was £3k lighter!

Live en learn, don't ya.

Edit: And he asked her grandmother for the money too... Told where to go...

Edited by Jason

HOLA4418

A friend at uni lent his girlfriend at the time £3k, I said to him don't do it and pointed out all the pit falls etc etc - but he trusted her, he was so in love. That was 5 years ago, they split up a few months later and he was £3k lighter!

Live en learn, don't ya.

Edit: And he asked her grandmother for the money too... Told where to go...

hehe

Thanks to lax lending banks and credit card companies you shouldnt be ever in a position to lend money out like that again!

HOLA4419

Hrm, I am but a mere child when it comes to such bitterness and resentment :) So far I've learnt to avoid buying swish cars, overvalued property, lending cars to people, failure to pay fines, lending birds money, borrowing money to lend birds money, lending cars to birds that were bought with borrowed money (the car not the bird) and the resultant fines that need to be paid with real money as you cannot expect back the money that was borrowed. Oh, and credit cards, don't buy property with credit cards! And that using your girlfriend as collateral for a loan is not legally acceptable to most banks, nor in most countries!

So I should avoid property, cars, birds, taxes (but not in that context), fines and credit cards, anyone want to add anything? :o

Edited by BuyingBear

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

was short GBP/JPY at 30# per pip a year ago and lost 5-6K in 24hours. sure its not too much in the big scheme of things but in terns of pence per hour i couldn't have burnt the money quicker.

It was an expensive tuition fee, but one I think I learned from.

HOLA4423
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Horoscope told me 10 years ago that it was my best week for luck to win the lottery. I spent a whole day driving around Greater London calling in every shop I passed who had a National Lottery terminal, buying £5 blocks of lucky dips in each outlet. After spending £200 quid I returned home very happy and began looking at all the big mansions for sale with acres of land. Saturday night came and not one b****y tenner. :(

HOLA4424

Horoscope told me 10 years ago that it was my best week for luck to win the lottery. I spent a whole day driving around Greater London calling in every shop I passed who had a National Lottery terminal, buying £5 blocks of lucky dips in each outlet. After spending £200 quid I returned home very happy and began looking at all the big mansions for sale with acres of land. Saturday night came and not one b****y tenner. :(

135 lucky dips once and not a tenner, i would ask what are the chances of THAT but i know that some odd person on here will tell me , then an equally odd person will double check it, some even odder argument will ensue , best if i stay quiet

HOLA4425

Hrm, who made you a moderator again? Ya know, somebody is meant to have a superior sense of judgement :unsure:

135 lucky dips once and not a tenner, i would ask what are the chances of THAT but i know that some odd person on here will tell me , then an equally odd person will double check it, some even odder argument will ensue , best if i stay quiet

You have a 1 in 57 chance of matching three numbers (£10) so you were rather short changed by lady luck, dear boy :)