House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jon

Alternative Rightmove Report

Just back from New Zealand, my PC has been doing some work while I've been away.

In November I expanded my recording of asking prices from RightMove to a 20 mile radius of my postcode (in Cheshire). This is approximately 40,000 properties on RightMove.

Here are the mean average asking prices :

Nov 15 2005 - £207,001

Dec 15 2005 - £205,864

Jan 15 2006 - £202,628

The median price has also dropped £1,000 in that time.

Looks like its going in the right direction to me.

Jon

Nice one Jon.

Is it possible to produce your rightmove reports for more areas thoughout the UK?

I never did get your program working. :(

Just back from New Zealand, my PC has been doing some work while I've been away.

In November I expanded my recording of asking prices from RightMove to a 20 mile radius of my postcode (in Cheshire). This is approximately 40,000 properties on RightMove.

Nov 15 2005 - £207,001

Dec 15 2005 - £205,864

Jan 15 2006 - £202,628

Jon

How did you grab the data? And did you check for confounding factors like a rise in flats relative to houses in the mix?

How did you grab the data? And did you check for confounding factors like a rise in flats relative to houses in the mix?

I have a bit of software that wades through their site and records the data.

Here's a further breakdown of mean average asking prices for some property types :

5 bed detached

15/11/2005 509,281

15/12/2005 506,519

15/01/2006 504,640

4 bed detached

15/11/2005 309,211

15/12/2005 305,952

15/01/2006 304,879

4 bed semi-detached

15/11/2005 251,300

15/12/2005 250,561

15/01/2006 249,603

3 bed semi-detached

15/11/2005 167,694

15/12/2005 166,988

15/01/2006 165,102

2 bed flat

15/11/2005 173,838

15/12/2005 174,774

15/01/2006 173,090

2 bed terraced

15/11/2005 113,680

15/12/2005 112,205

15/01/2006 109,214

3 bed terraced

15/11/2005 135,955

15/12/2005 135,578

15/01/2006 133,870

Any more anyone?

Nov 15 2005 - £207,001

Dec 15 2005 - £205,864

Jan 15 2006 - £202,628

Jon

Rightmove said that initial asking prices in the North West fell 1.9% mom in Jan, -2% in Dec and +0.5% in Nov...... so the fall was -3.4% over 3 months.

Your survey for Cheshire seems to be fairly consistent with Rightmove.

jon,

I'd be interested if you could diversify your searches across the whole of the UK. Then get

the results and publish them to the BBC. :D

Absolutely agree with poster above. It would be great if you do samples around the UK and maybe it could be issued as a Press Release from this site with a title like 'The Great House Price Lie'.

Most of the media is hand in glove - or owned by - or own - various VIs but some aren't - I am sure it would get some coverage.

jon,

I'd be interested if you could diversify your searches across the whole of the UK. Then get

the results and publish them to the BBC. :D

I have been thinking about this. I seem to remember there is a maximum search radius within RightMove so I'd have to pick enough postcodes to cover the entire UK. But this should be possible ... leave it with me.

I have been thinking about this. I seem to remember there is a maximum search radius within RightMove so I'd have to pick enough postcodes to cover the entire UK. But this should be possible ... leave it with me.

For the west go for places like Swindon or Bristol - they are on the M4 corridor so are constantly being touted as 'hot spots' yet I see no price rises in Swindon whatsoever anymore!

I'd be willing to help with the number crunching if needed. I did try and install MySQL but I didn't have a clue how to use it. :unsure:

Maybe we could devlope this further to show a price history of a particular house/area? But I guess Rightmove wouldn't allow that.

I'd be willing to help with the number crunching if needed. I did try and install MySQL but I didn't have a clue how to use it. :unsure:

Maybe we could devlope this further to show a price history of a particular house/area? But I guess Rightmove wouldn't allow that.

Jason I struggled too :(

Jon - is what your doing illegal?

If not - why not post a 'how to' and a link to the files?

Then we could all do something for our area. Think the only problem we may have is calling it Alternative Rightmove. Got a few computers here and 8mb connection so I can leave one 'processing' whenever I want.

TB

BTW you sent me the software - it was the MySQL I didnt understand :(

Edited by teddyboy

If its of any use I could provide the same sort of software to scrape rightmove and build up a property database of whats selling in the uk, and to speed things up I dont mind using one of my webservers to interogate the RM webservers as its on an 18,000MB feed down in docklands so should get the task done quicker than over broadband connections.

Can Rightmove handle 18GB of traffic though? They could legitimately percieve this as a DoS attack.

If its of any use I could provide the same sort of software to scrape rightmove and build up a property database of whats selling in the uk, :)

That would be great. But if you were using one server wouldn't Righmove just block your IP address/es? Infact they are probably reading this now. Opps.

Wouldn't it be better to develop a program where the data can be collected individually? Like SETI?

Infact, I think i'll just leave this to someone who knows what they're talking about.

Jason I struggled too :(

Jon - is what your doing illegal?

If not - why not post a 'how to' and a link to the files?

Then we could all do something for our area. Think the only problem we may have is calling it Alternative Rightmove. Got a few computers here and 8mb connection so I can leave one 'processing' whenever I want.

TB

BTW you sent me the software - it was the MySQL I didnt understand :(

With regard to the legality - I emailed RightMove and sought their permission to store and republish data from their site. Anyone doing anything similar would be advised to do likewise I guess!

MySQL can be tricky if you're not used to this stuff, but the application needs to store a lot of data obviously and MySQL is the best free database to do this.

Perhaps I could author a more complete how-to ... i'll add it to my to-do list :)

If its of any use I could provide the same sort of software to scrape rightmove and build up a property database of whats selling in the uk, and to speed things up I dont mind using one of my webservers to interogate the RM webservers as its on an 18,000MB feed down in docklands so should get the task done quicker than over broadband connections. However this month I dont have time to build the program it would have to wait until feb but.... this could be enough time to decide what to scrape and how to do our own monitoring and get the db setup properly.

ie should we invest in a postcode database and then store every house for sale on rm under the postcode? obviously we need to store how many bedrooms it has and what type it is ie flat, house etc etc, should we also attempt to list the room sizes if given? what else should we get it to do, ie check how many agents its on with?

regarding the legality of this exercise, its not illegal as I will be using this software to monitor bargain houses to buy and I need such a tool to cover the whole of the UK. The fact that I also manage to get other info out of it doesnt really matter provided I quote RM as the source. We have gone down this route with yell.com et al for a similar program as has a colleague.

So is this a worthwhile exercise? if so lets get it specced and see who's telling the truth with the figures. I can provide the IT resource but lets get this right though. :)

Sounds like we speak the same language. They did block my IP address for a bit until I identified my spider with a sensible user agent. You're welcome to have my .NET code and MySQL database.

I'll PM you tomorrow and email you with what I've done to date - see if we can get something more widespread running.

Jon

Rightmove said that initial asking prices in the North West fell 1.9% mom in Jan, -2% in Dec and +0.5% in Nov...... so the fall was -3.4% over 3 months.

Your survey for Cheshire seems to be fairly consistent with Rightmove.

Just a minute folks.......whilst I don't doubt that there is a lot of technical expertise here, what exactly are we trying to prove with the data grab exercise? As Geranium points out, the Rightmove figures published for the NW seem to tie in well with the Cheshire-based grab already done.

With regard to the legality - I emailed RightMove and sought their permission to store and republish data from their site. Anyone doing anything similar would be advised to do likewise I guess!

MySQL can be tricky if you're not used to this stuff, but the application needs to store a lot of data obviously and MySQL is the best free database to do this.

Perhaps I could author a more complete how-to ... i'll add it to my to-do list :)

cheers mate!

were not all clever you know :huh:

TB

Just a minute folks.......whilst I don't doubt that there is a lot of technical expertise here, what exactly are we trying to prove with the data grab exercise? As Geranium points out, the Rightmove figures published for the NW seem to tie in well with the Cheshire-based grab already done.

Whilst we are all a group of people trying to correect house prices its not unfair to say that we care about our locale more than anyone elses?

I think getting all the right data and printing this out when viewing will give you justification of an offer. It would be nice to find out whats a HOT_SPOT and and a NOT_SPOT.

MR ROSE and Jon - I would appreciate any work that you both do - if there is one VI's data I would love to analyse its Rightmoves as these seem to get the most exposure. I will help out by offering time, but Im too thick to do the techy shyte! :)

Edited by teddyboy

Whilst we are all a group of people trying to correect house prices its not unfair to say that we care about our locale more than anyone elses?

I think getting all the right data and printing this out when viewing will give you justification of an offer. It would be nice to find out whats a HOT_SPOT and and a NOT_SPOT.

MR ROSE and Jon - I would appreciate any work that you both do - if there is one VI's data I would love to analyse its Rightmoves as these seem to get the most exposure. I will help out by offering time, but Im too thick to do the techy shyte! :)

Agreed, but RM already break down data regionally. For instance, I was very pleased to see a 2.4/2.3 % fall in the West/East Midlands respectively in their last report.

W.r.t. the data-gathering efforts, might I suggest that the nethouseprice type sites would be a good harvest? I know they only use LR data, but getting a regional breakdown is, I believe, something they don't provide.