House Price Crash Forum

Advice Needed

ryanjw

HOLA441

Hi I need some advice on how to deal with my workmates.

They all think i`m talking cr*p when I said I was waiting to see what happens to prices. They told me to buy now and what a huge mistake it is to wait.

When I mentioned this site and that prices go down as well as up they just said i`d been brainwashed by some left wing nonsense and prices would never go down.

Can someone write me something to help with the argument. I`m not very good at explaining.

ta

HOLA442

Assuming that you are about 30 years old try the following:

1. There have been two occasions in your lifetime already when real house prices have crashed, mid 1970s and late 1980/early 1990s

2. By any measure house prices are higher than they have ever been.

Which means that:

1. House prices can crash.

2. House prices look ready to crash.

There are far more detailed arguments that can be made but simplest is usually best.

HOLA443

I just have a laugh about it now and have turned it into a joke. Whenever they mention prices I'll chip in and remind them of my views... but in a laughing way.

Why do you really need to "deal" with them? There will be times in life when your opinion is different to other people. It's part of being an adult and taking your own decisions (that probably sounds condescending and I really don't mean it to be). If I'm wrong then I'm wrong and will deal with it. But at least I've come to my own conclusions rather than blindly following the herd.

A good idea put forward a while back was to show them the graph on the front of this site. But don't mention property. Hint that it's about some shares and you're not sure if you should buy. The answer will almost always be "no you're mad". Then tell them it is house prices and watch them justify why it's a good time to buy. I tried this myself a while back and it's so funny to watch.

Edited by Portent

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

They all think i`m talking cr*p when I said I was waiting to see what happens to prices. They told me to buy now and what a huge mistake it is to wait.

When I mentioned this site and that prices go down as well as up they just said i`d been brainwashed by some left wing nonsense and prices would never go down.

Can someone write me something to help with the argument. I`m not very good at explaining.

ta

I would simply avoid this subject. If they really are so biggoted and all they can say is that this website is populated by left-wing loonies, then I doubt you're going to have any effect on their opinions. Sorry to hear that you work with a set of *****.

HOLA447

This article may help

I thought it put forward some good rational arguements which you might like to repeat.

I like your avatar, Van der Rohe v. 50's mock tudor, hrm.

I would simply avoid this subject. If they really are so biggoted and all they can say is that this website is populated by left-wing loonies, then I doubt you're going to have any effect on their opinions.

Anyone fancy PM'ing Enoch and telling him he's a left-wing loony.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Ahem.

Repeat:

"Why exactly can the price of houses NOT go down? Are houses somehow immune to market forces? Do people not buy and sell houses? Does this not lead to speculative prices?

I was of the opinion that if house prices cannot EVER go down wages would have to keep up, else, wouldn’t we reach a point where nobody could afford a house? Is this not true? Is that when a crash happens? It is? Oh that’s right it makes sense now” Thump your forehead twice at this point then throw a hard stare at them, hold the stare for five seconds then look to the floor and shake your head and blink a lot, then stare at them for two seconds before turning away.

Turn immediately back to them and

Continue:

“They crash all the time you dumb t*t, who told you they never go down? The estate agent? Or your <joke voice>financial advisor</joke voice>?

Never go down! <LAUGH> why doesn’t Bill Gates flog Microsoft and buy up Weston Super Mare? I’ll tell you for free why not, because he’s not f*cking stupid.” Do the stare thing again.

Then talk about how conversations with them are like “training monkeys” and complain that you are always having to “train f*cking monkeys”.

You will often find me shouting this at a group of uncaring twenty somethings down my local.

Some people call this bullying but it keeps about 15 FTB’s off the local property market, result…

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

There is a lot of nonsense spouted on this site by bulls and bears alike, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a sensible debate buried here somewhere.

As far as your friends go, don't even bother trying to explain. Just bite your tongue until you're proved right.

HOLA4413

ta

Stay out of it..

some have become rich and they don't understand why..

Others have had a hell of a party and now perhaps are seeing their debt as real..

That I have noticed.. mewers looking less confident... looking more worried..

Others perhaps Investing.. concerend now..

No one needs to be told this is happening.. its obvious..

But they want to believe themselves... they want others to agree..

They have nothing but a market that has reached the top..

We know why it has reached its top..

Thats an advantage..

We also know why it climbed...

we know why it is dropping now...

House prices are only ever a matter of opinion.. Debt is real..

HOLA4414

Why are they so interested in giving you their opinion I wonder?. Discussing money, politics and religion at work are a no no in my book. These subjects bring out the worst traits in people nastiness, insecurityand jealousy to name but a few.

Tell them nothing and laugh if they bring the subject up. I’m sure some sad individuals would encourage you into a market at its top to then ridicule you when prices fell. Look at you in the two bed rabbit hutch which you paid £150k for that’s now worth £80k. We bought our 4 bed for £65k and have a much smaller mortgage.

Make your own mind up on the information available. If you want to stay out of the market and save for a bigger depost, buying later fair play. You are not alone.

If you fancy taking their advice go ahead.

Mr Joe.

HOLA4415

ta

I have a friend who wants to get on to the 'ladder' (greasy pole?) and is adamant that it is the right thing to do. When I heard this I thought 'you fool'. Why? Because I went through the same thought process before the last crash in the late 80s. I was in a similar situation to him.

What stopped me from going down the same path? I had read a book by an economist (Bob Beckman) called "the Downwave". In it he painted a picture of falling house prices. At that time NOBODY believed it could happen. Many FTBs ended up with negative equity which took 7-10 years to pay off. In the mean time thay were unable to move up from their little flats and houses and had a miserable time.

While all that was happening I rented and waited for prices to drop to a reasonable level which was the best decision I could have made. I suggested to my friend that he thinks long and hard before commiting himself to a large debt.