House Price Crash Forum
g_hickley

Trigger For House Price Correction?

This is my first post, so please accept apologies if I haven't followed any forum etiquette.

I was reading this article today in the Guardian. These are my thoughts in no particular order:

The UK property market is due for a large correction.

The correction will likely take place in the context of a major downturn in the economic cycle of western economies.

This article suggests that crude oil could hit $100/barrel.

After Iraq the USA won't be battle ready for another 10 years.

The USA have installed a Shi'ite regime into Iraq. Effectively Iran now rules Iraq by proxy.

China and India, both nuclear powers, need huge amounts of oil to cope with their burgening economies.

Iran is regularly touting for nuclear intelligence and raw materials.

Iran has no more need for nuclear power than Saudi Arabia or Venezuela.

Iran now holds most of the cards.

One wonders why our governments have done so little to reduce our economies total dependency upon oil.

Howdy G Hickley - welcome to HPC!

"One wonders why our governments have done so little to reduce our economies total dependency upon oil."

Methinks youre gonna fit right in here, there are many people wondering the same.

That said, maybe we should begin ourselves to reduce our dependency on oil at an individual level.

Any ideas?

That said, maybe we should begin ourselves to reduce our dependency on oil at an individual level.

Any ideas?

Shut down all fish and chip shops and put girls in charge of car maintenance. My missus believes implicitly that cars do not require oil.

My missus believes implicitly that cars do not require oil.

:lol: funny that, mine too. Furthermore she doesn't appear to think that putting petrol in the bloody thing is madatory either.

Trigger for a hpc? Easy recession, too much debt and either taxes, interested rates, or both rising.

Any ideas?

On a personal level everyone's responsibility must be to reduce energy consumption. Less and smaller engined cars, recycle waste, use public transport.

The government's responsibility must cover investment in public transport, research into alternative fuels, incentives to use alternative fuels. The problem is governments only work to a five year agenda and that agenda is largely dictated by the oil and motoring industries.

Anything we do in the Uk is completely wasted when it comes to saving energy and creating less pollution.

India and China are burning it all up like nobodies business, and polluting the world without a word being said.

We should do the same and make sure we are at the top of the pile come the day of reckoning.

Could major problems in the USA send everything spiralling downwards globally!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...1977308,00.html

According to that article;

"George Soros, the multi-billionaire investor who retains the reputation of being able to move the markets single-handed, today warned that the US Federal Reserve might overshoot in its attempt to tighten monetary policy, deflating housing prices and tipping the world's biggest economy into recession in 2007"

Anything we do in the Uk is completely wasted when it comes to saving energy and creating less pollution.

India and China are burning it all up like nobodies business, and polluting the world without a word being said.

We should do the same and make sure we are at the top of the pile come the day of reckoning.

Agreed about India and China although I wish it wasn't so. :(

The best option IMO is for other countries to accept what's happening with resource availability and environmental effects and plan to cope with what's coming. Stopping it just isn't going to happen unfortunately.

It's not just oil, gas is also a big and growing problem.

We need to depend far less on both of them with the easiest place for (government) to start being ending their use for electricity generation (not particularly difficult compared to the alternatives). Use renewables, nuclear, coal for electricity generation instead.

Iran's gas is in fact more significant as a portion of world reserves than it's oil. Likewise Russia.

Edited by Smurf1976

Howdy G Hickley - welcome to HPC!

"One wonders why our governments have done so little to reduce our economies total dependency upon oil."

Methinks youre gonna fit right in here, there are many people wondering the same.

Any ideas?

Or thinking about it another way, why would we want to? I personally like the idea of oil running out. Perhaps the public will realise there are more important thinks to think about other than the price of their house. Well I hope they do anyway or they may get rather depressed.

While I agree that we should be doing all we can to use less resources, I find it slightly arrogant that the Western world is now pointing the finger at China and India for doing exactly what we did 150 years ago when we were becoming industrialized. Why blame developing nations when America's track record is still so appauling?

Iran has no more need for nuclear power than Saudi Arabia or Venezuela.

If peak oil is for real, then in the longer term they'll have the same problems as everybody else with energy supply. I wonder if anyone has accurate data for their reserves?

I don't know enough about Iran to have much of an opinion, but the two articles in yesterday's Oberver were so blatantly biassed it isn't true. I haven't heard a single good argument as to why Iran shouldn't be allowed to develop nuclear power beyond what amounts to "you're a bunch of towel-headed religious nutters and we don't trust you". Looks like, after Iraq, they've got good reason not to trust the Americans. Look at it this way, how come North Korea does what it wants and waves two fingers at the Yanks? Simple; they've got nuclear technology. Any nation concerned about the US (ie any nation sitting on oil reserves) would be smart to get itself a nuclear capability. This is all so predictable.

And it is hard not to feel that our claims to "moral superiority" (all that endless yakking on about freedom, in the vacuous sense of freedom to be turned into consuming mortgage slaves) is precariously based.

After all aren't we supposed to be contrarians here!

Replying to Trigger For House Price Correction?

Is he, Trigger, going up and down outside Downing Street with a HPC placard shouting "House prices are too expensive Dave!"?

In one episode, Trigger proudly displays a medal to anyone who will look which he was awarded by the local council for having contributed to the community by using the same brush for the past 20 years. He then proudly holds up the brush and claims "Maintained it for 20 years. This old broom's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time." When Sid inquires how it can be classed as the same brush, Trigger angrily shows him a picture of him receiving the medal and demands "Well there's the bloody picture! What more proof do you need?"

He claims to have been born in the back seat of an abandoned Vauxhall in Wyvern, Mitcham.

When Rodney and Del turn up to a fancy dress party dressed as Batman and Robin, only to find it is now a funeral, Rodney confides in Trigger "We didn't know the fancy dress had been cancelled" to which Trigger replies "Me neither", despite the fact that he is dressed in a black suit and tie, and blends into the crowd. Rodney asks "You mean, that's your costume?" to which Trigger replies "Yeah. I came as a chauffeur. [Thinks] I feel a bit stupid now." He then tells Del & Rodney he didn't think they'd have won the fancy dress competition anyway. He said Rodney's costume was OK, but Del doesn't look anything like Tonto.

He believed Albert Einstein managed the Beatles.

He claimed Gandhi had had his 15 minutes of fame because "He made one great film and you never heard of him again!".

Waiting to appear as a witness in Del's bankruptcy case, Trigger comments to Denzil "When I go in there, I'll just say I hear voices". When Denzil points out "Trigger, you're not a character witness", Trigger replies "I know. But I still hear voices!"

Trigger informs Del that the council tip is open 24 hours a day. When they arrive and it is closed Del demands "I thought you said it was open 24 hours a day!" to which Trigger replies "Yeah, but not at night".

When talking about what Del and Raquel plan on calling their soon to be born child, Trigger says, "If it's a girl then they're gonna call it Sigourney, after an actress. If it's a boy, then they're gonna call it Rodney, after Dave!"

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_%28Only_Fools_And_Horses%29"

I don't know enough about Iran to have much of an opinion, but the two articles in yesterday's Oberver were so blatantly biassed it isn't true. I haven't heard a single good argument as to why Iran shouldn't be allowed to develop nuclear power beyond what amounts to "you're a bunch of towel-headed religious nutters and we don't trust you". Looks like, after Iraq, they've got good reason not to trust the Americans. Look at it this way, how come North Korea does what it wants and waves two fingers at the Yanks? Simple; they've got nuclear technology. Any nation concerned about the US (ie any nation sitting on oil reserves) would be smart to get itself a nuclear capability. This is all so predictable.

Well, bluntly, I suggest you read up on what the mad mullahs of Iran have been doing in the past 25 years - basically sponsoring international terrorism around the World. They have been responsible for funding some of the most anti Western terrorist organisations currently in the World who have killed numerous people in numerous plane & ship hi-jackings: the kidnapping, horrendous torture and murder of countless individuals; mass bomb explosions which have killed hundreds of US Marines in Beirut - it is terrible. The list goes on and on.

Perhaps the worst single atrocity is the kidnapping and torture of a CIA analyst whilst in Beirut in the mid 1980s. He was tortured for well over a year, 18 months I recall before his body gave out, with video tapes of his torture being regularly delivered to third parties so that the US Government could see what was happening to this poor man. It was not a pretty site and, frankly, if those tapes were ever shown on national television then I am certain that Public opinion in the West would realise fully what evil lies at the heart of the Iranian mad mullahs.

These people - the mad mullahs - are so mad, so obsessed with hating the West and so downright evil that they basically were quite happy to kill hundreds of thousands of their own children in the war against Iraq - they used to send children with no guns against the Iraqi trenches and it was common for them to send children as young as 7 or 8 to walk across known minefields so that they could use their own bodies to destroy the mines.

Now, the sad thing is that your average Iranian citizen is no different to any other Human Being - they have all the same fears and hopes as the rest of us - but the mad mullahs, the die-hard fundalmentalists, hate us with a venom that will only be sated when they have killed EVERY single Westerner on the planet.

Trust me, none of us will be safe if the Iranians get their hands on nuclear technology - NONE of us! What we are seeing now is basically the result of 25 years of them trying to obtain weapons of mass destruction be they nuclear or biological.

TMT putting on his Military Intelligence hat from the 1980s.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

These people - the mad mullahs - are so mad, so obsessed with hating the West and so downright evil that they basically were quite happy to kill hundreds of thousands of their own children in the war against Iraq - they used to send children with no guns against the Iraqi trenches and it was common for them to send children as young as 7 or 8 to walk across known minefields so that they could use their own bodies to destroy the mines.

Now, the sad thing is that your average Iranian citizen is no different to any other Human Being - they have all the same fears and hopes as the rest of us - but the mad mullahs, the die-hard fundalmentalists, hate us with a venom that will only be sated when they have killed EVERY single Westerner on the planet.

Trust me, none of us will be safe if the Iranians get their hands on nuclear technology - NONE of us! What we are seeing now is basically the result of 25 years of them trying to obtain weapons of mass destruction be they nuclear or biological.

If the Iranians are so terrible then why has the UK and the US be doing business with them over the past couple of years, and opened up diplomatic relations?.

Oh yes, I just remembered it suits the US and poodle Blair to badmouth them now cos George Snr decided he didnt like them cos they got all his oil Wah Wah Wah !!!.

Well, bluntly, I suggest you read up on what the mad mullahs of Iran have been doing in the past 25 years - basically sponsoring international terrorism around the World. They have been responsible for funding some of the most anti Western terrorist organisations currently in the World who have killed numerous people in numerous plane & ship hi-jackings: the kidnapping, horrendous torture and murder of countless individuals; mass bomb explosions which have killed hundreds of US Marines in Beirut - it is terrible. The list goes on and on.

Perhaps the worst single atrocity is the kidnapping and torture of a CIA analyst whilst in Beirut in the mid 1980s. He was tortured for well over a year, 18 months I recall before his body gave out, with video tapes of his torture being regularly delivered to third parties so that the US Government could see what was happening to this poor man. It was not a pretty site and, frankly, if those tapes were ever shown on national television then I am certain that Public opinion in the West would realise fully what evil lies at the heart of the Iranian mad mullahs.

Too right. I am really glad not everyone on the site is of the view that we should just put it all down to cultural differences and relativism (we have it so they should be allowed to). Iran is genuinely dangerous and the consequences for Europe (never mind a nuclear exchange with Israel) using the newer long range Shihab is terrifying.

If the Iranians are so terrible then why has the UK and the US be doing business with them over the past couple of years, and opened up diplomatic relations?.

Oh yes, I just remembered it suits the US and poodle Blair to badmouth them now cos George Snr decided he didnt like them cos they got all his oil Wah Wah Wah !!!.

01810r.jpg

Er... Do you think the Iranians approving of this had anything to do with it?

If some body applauded the murder of your children would you fall out with them?

Basically because good people always hope for the best and the hope with Iran in recent years was that the country was both modernising and moderating... and attempts have been made to bring Iran back into the World community. Alas, the really bad boys are in even greater control now.

Don't forget, in the 1930s virtually every country on Earth tried to develop good terms with Nazi Germany - this is what good people do but, eventually, you have to wake up and smell the coffee.

I have no doubt that sometime within the next 5 years the West will go to war with Iran. As for all this Russia nonsense, well, Russia has as many problems with the mad mullahs as we do as, ever since the early 1990s, they have been sending their relgious nutters into the Southern former Soviet states spreading their evil.

Basically because good people always hope for the best and the hope with Iran in recent years was that the country was both modernising and moderating... and attempts have been made to bring Iran back into the World community. Alas, the really bad boys are in even greater control now.

Don't forget, in the 1930s virtually every country on Earth tried to develop good terms with Nazi Germany - this is what good people do but, eventually, you have to wake up and smell the coffee.

I have no doubt that sometime within the next 5 years the West will go to war with Iran. As for all this Russia nonsense, well, Russia has as many problems with the mad mullahs as we do as, ever since the early 1990s, they have been sending their relgious nutters into the Southern former Soviet states spreading their evil.

There is a big difference between Iran and Nazi Germany.

There is precisely zero chance of Iran waging an agressive war on any western power. Consider the consequences if Iran attempted to attack the US, glass parking lot in 20 minutes I should think.

Iran may be 'bad', but they pose a limited threat. Even if they do procure nuclear weapons, who are they going to use them against without Iran being immediately obliterated? IMO the most likely nuclear threat comes from a terrorist in the US stealing nuclear material inside the United States.

I believe that Iran has a good reason for wanting nuclear weapons, which is to protect itself from invasion. Any pariah state without nuclear weapons risks being invaded by the US.

Some Iranians might have approved of 9/11 - if I was Iranian who'd watched the Americans fund and arm Saddam Hussein, I might just have a teensy-weensy grudge against them too.

Iran is not alone in having religious nutters - I can think of a nuclear power where a significant proportion of the population consider the Earth to be 6000 years old, and that Noah had brontosauri sticking their necks out of his ark...

There is precisely zero chance of Iran waging an agressive war on any western power. Consider the consequences if Iran attempted to attack the US, glass parking lot in 20 minutes I should think.

Iran may be 'bad', but they pose a limited threat. Even if they do procure nuclear weapons, who are they going to use them against without Iran being immediately obliterated? IMO the most likely nuclear threat comes from a terrorist in the US stealing nuclear material inside the United States.

I believe that Iran has a good reason for wanting nuclear weapons, which is to protect itself from invasion. Any pariah state without nuclear weapons risks being invaded by the US.

It is true to say that Iran could not attack the US, but they probably aren't far from being able to launch missiles at Israel, this coupled with suspicions they are developing nuclear weapons is worrying. It would totally destabalise the Middle East forever. We are talking about a culture which produces suicide bombers. How can you trust such a regime without feeling naïve? You have to ask them “What exactly are you doing?”.

They are and have been for 25 years. Either you are too young to remember what happened during the 1980s and early 1990s or you, IMPO, are too blinkered. Also, there is a great deal that never occurs because it has been stopped in time and continues to be stopped in time. Most of this never makes the news as, just like the Cold War, a silent war is being fought between the West and Iran, and indeed against Iran and Russia, for over two decades now.

Russia selling technology to Iran for nuclear facilities is more to do with them trying to stop Iranian incursions into the former Soviet states than anything to do with big bucks - the Russians are trying to get leverage. Moscow is closer to Iran than London is - go figure.

Personally, I am of the opinion that many military intelligence operations by the US and UK should be made public knowledge so that the Guardian readers who suffer from 'British Airways syndrome' realise fully what goes on behind the scenes in order to allow them to live their lives.

They are and have been for 25 years. Either you are too young to remember what happened during the 1980s and early 1990s or you, IMPO, are too blinkered. Also, there is a great deal that never occurs because it has been stopped in time and continues to be stopped in time. Most of this never makes the news as, just like the Cold War, a silent war is being fought between the West and Iran, and indeed against Iran and Russia, for over two decades now.

Russia selling technology to Iran for nuclear facilities is more to do with them trying to stop Iranian incursions into the former Soviet states than anything to do with big bucks - the Russians are trying to get leverage. Moscow is closer to Iran than London is - go figure.

Personally, I am of the opinion that many military intelligence operations by the US and UK should be made public knowledge so that the Guardian readers who suffer from 'British Airways syndrome' realise fully what goes on behind the scenes in order to allow them to live their lives.

I was almost born in iran, my parents were there before everything kicked off and the americans were kicked out. America has been trying to get back in ever since. America is still hurting 27 years later...

Edited by moosetea

On a personal level everyone's responsibility must be to reduce energy consumption. Less and smaller engined cars, recycle waste, use public transport.

The government's responsibility must cover investment in public transport

We now pour more money into trains than into the road network, despite the fact the latter carries 93% of all passengers and freight.

Did you know buses only do 6-7mpg and give out copious amounts of NOx and soot, if you see a bus with less than 20 people on it then they'd be doing less harm to the environment if all of them hopped in half a dozen cars instead.

Petrol comsumption has been basically static in the UK for two decades, it was about 19m tonnes in 1980 and it now stands at 21m, the demand isn't coming from this country, we can all get out of cars and hug a tree for a day but that doesn't change a thing because it doesn't affect China or India. All the cars on the road today give out less particulates in total than a smaller number of cars did in the 70's, some engines now give out 90% less crap. Energy required per output of GDP has been falling for years, energy consumption actually lags GDP growth, if you think problems have been caused by huge demand in this country then you're fooling yourself. Our only problem has been squandered income from the North Sea, in Norway they actually set some money aside.

I don't like being referred to as an object to be 'transported' depending upon the whims of some union worker and whether he feels like going to work on any given day.

Edited by BuyingBear

It is true to say that Iran could not attack the US, but they probably aren't far from being able to launch missiles at Israel, this coupled with suspicions they are developing nuclear weapons is worrying. It would totally destabalise the Middle East forever. We are talking about a culture which produces suicide bombers. How can you trust such a regime without feeling naïve? You have to ask them “What exactly are you doing?”.

Where did I say I trust Iran? I merely think Iran represents a limited threat to the UK. If they start lobbing missiles at Israel I believe they can expect some retaliation from both Israel and the US.

I am no Guardian reader thankyou very much.

Iran certainly poses a threat to countries in its immediate area, and should be referred to the UN for building nuclear weapons. However, they are not Nazi germany and are not about to send armies marching across the globe.

What do you propose is done about Iran?

Where did I say I trust Iran? I merely think Iran represents a limited threat to the UK. If they start lobbing missiles at Israel I believe they can expect some retaliation from both Israel and the US.

I am no Guardian reader thankyou very much.

Iran certainly poses a threat to countries in its immediate area, and should be referred to the UN for building nuclear weapons. However, they are not Nazi germany and are not about to send armies marching across the globe.

What do you propose is done about Iran?

Iran's missiles can reach central Europe and Italy and are being developed to reach Western Europe (so much for Iran only being concerned with a local alleged threat). Howe does this not pose a threat to us?