House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Detached Prices Falling?

Just checked detached houses up to 200k selling on the Web - last looked a few months ago - a few things I noticed - houses have definitely fallen in Glos. In Wiltshire, prices appear to have dropped in Trowbridge more than elsewhere, there appears to be more availability in Bristol in the sub 200k price range. Not much change in Cardiff.

Also, did a viewing on Saturday of a detached property - estate of around 20 - mix of semis and detached - very very packed in, but internally I was shocked to find the proportions so generous - all 3 beds in detached above 10 by 10 (v unusual eh!) - 1 en-suite - attic easy to convert - 8 foot ceiling - enough for another ensuite - d'backs - no hall, integral garage, 'packed in' and v small garden, I was actually tempted by the below 140k price tag - even though I was striggling not to be! (in an old industrial area of S Wales nr motorway).

BTW, what's the standard height of a door these days - had a conversation with a builder who told me 6 ft 5 - then met another who told me 6 ft 8 - any idea????

Guest muttley

We viewed a house in Fylde area in Feb 2004.It was on the marke at 625k,but vendor showed us an estimate from a different EA at 650k.Sold Aug 2005 for 495k (found it on nethouseprices.com today)

:D:D:D

Guest Bart of Darkness

Asking prices for detached houses in my target area (S20, S21) seem to have fallen slightly (after a long period of static prices.

Average asking price used to range between £155k to £175k.

Now (subjectively) it seems more like £140k to £165k.

Not enough to make me buy, but a welcome change of direction.

Just checked detached houses up to 200k selling on the Web - last looked a few months ago - a few things I noticed - houses have definitely fallen in Glos. In Wiltshire, prices appear to have dropped in Trowbridge more than elsewhere, there appears to be more availability in Bristol in the sub 200k price range. Not much change in Cardiff.

Also, did a viewing on Saturday of a detached property - estate of around 20 - mix of semis and detached - very very packed in, but internally I was shocked to find the proportions so generous - all 3 beds in detached above 10 by 10 (v unusual eh!) - 1 en-suite - attic easy to convert - 8 foot ceiling - enough for another ensuite - d'backs - no hall, integral garage, 'packed in' and v small garden, I was actually tempted by the below 140k price tag - even though I was striggling not to be! (in an old industrial area of S Wales nr motorway).

BTW, what's the standard height of a door these days - had a conversation with a builder who told me 6 ft 5 - then met another who told me 6 ft 8 - any idea????

6'6" or 1.980 m if memory serves me correctly (over 15 years since i was in the building industry).

Edited by Marina

I also think it's 6"6

Whilst we are on the subject, anybody know the width of a door on new build ?.

There are new regulations regarding all new houses for disabled access however I do not know the width.

The regs are Part M any ideas ?.

It's a little difficult to tell in my area. (Milton Keynes).

4 people in my team have bought a house in the last month. (and 1 other team member has sold 1).

There are only 7 people in my team!

3 of them are new builds to it's hard to compare prices.. (MK is still growing).

A further team member bought a house last year, but new build also.

However, 1 team member did buy a 'used' house, and confirmed the price he paid was the same price the previous owner paid 4 years ago. (150K, 3 bed).

I'm starting to monitor the property section of my paper to gather some trends, but the houses move so fast, it's prooving quite difficult.

Edited by Priff

It's a little difficult to tell in my area. (Milton Keynes).

4 people in my team have bought a house in the last month. (and 1 other team member has sold 1).

There are only 7 people in my team!

3 of them are new builds to it's hard to compare prices.. (MK is still growing).

A further team member bought a house last year, but new build also.

However, 1 team member did buy a 'used' house, and confirmed the price he paid was the same price the previous owner paid 4 years ago. (150K, 3 bed).

I'm starting to monitor the property section of my paper to gather some trends, but the houses move so fast, it's prooving quite difficult.

MK fell 7% in the last Q according to Housetrack. I've spoken to a mate of mine each time I've been up there in the last year or so, and he says 500k detached are now down to 400k. And he should know, he does quite a bit of BTL in the area. And I'd agree with him from what I've seen in the MK papers.

The prices are still way over what they were just 4-5 years ago - i.e. double. So I'd expect a continuation of that falling trend to continue in MK.

Nomadd

6'6" or 1.980 m if memory serves me correctly (over 15 years since i was in the building industry).

I think it still is. I'm just over 6'5" tall, and whether I have to duck or not through newbuild doorways seems to depend on how short my hair is ;)

Whilst we are on the subject, anybody know the width of a door on new build ?.

There are new regulations regarding all new houses for disabled access however I do not know the width.

The regs are Part M any ideas ?.

You can download the building regs as PDF files from the ODPM site now;

Building Regs

I'm sure I came across 6ft5 in a newbuild Bovis last yr! Do building regs like this get checked up on, or is it just a Q of form filling? Also came across newbuild with 6ft8 doors recently.

I'm sure I came across 6ft5 in a newbuild Bovis last yr! Do building regs like this get checked up on, or is it just a Q of form filling? Also came across newbuild with 6ft8 doors recently.

Actually within the building regs approved documents there are no specified heights for doors ceiling etc, the only time head height is ever an issue is on stairs which is 2000mm or can come down to 1800mm in the case of a loft conversion.

Hope that helps?

Brochie.

Many thanks! On another point, you know these NHBC certs-guarantees on newbuilds, are they worth the paper they're written on, or are surveyors certificates an OK substitute. How long do NHBC guarantees last for?

Edited by gruffydd

Many thanks! On another point, you know these NHBC certs-guarantees on newbuilds, are they worth the paper they're written on, or are surveyors certificates an OK substitute. How long do NHBC guarantees last for?

NHBC g'tees 10 years. Whether they're worth it, can't help.......suspect builders try and wriggle out of any comeback (if the viewers of 'Watchdog' etc are to be believed).

estate of around 20 - mix of semis and detached - very very packed in, but internally I was shocked to find the proportions so generous - all 3 beds in detached above 10 by 10 (v unusual eh!) - 1 en-suite - attic easy to convert - 8 foot ceiling - enough for another ensuite - d'backs - no hall, integral garage, 'packed in' and v small garden, I was actually tempted by the below 140k price tag - even though I was striggling not to be! (in an old industrial area of S Wales nr motorway.

Where was this gruff - not Church Village