House Price Crash Forum

Soft Commodities

oracle

HOLA441
HOLA442

No, I don't, but I read an interview with Jim Rogers about a month ago in Moneyweek and he was very bullish about them. And quite dismissive about oil and god. Sorry, that's gold.

How does one go about trading in them them or getting exposure? There was one fund I read about. Will dig up the article and get back.

I'm sitting here waiting for the gold markets to open in Japan.

HOLA443

everyone seems to be concentrating on oil,gold and property at present.

could soft commodities such as wheat,corn and coffee etc be sneakily rising in the background??

does anybody have any data?

It seems that the end of the EU subsidies in Sugar has kicked off a truely mental bull market in sugar. the gains it has made in only the last year are truly phenomonal check out this graph it shows that the commercial Sugar hedgers are starting to capitulate thier shorts something which can only lead to higher prices.

http://www.freecotcharts.com/charts/SB.htm

I can see the logic of going heavy into softs now the huge increase in energy costs over the last 2-3 years cannot fail to be bullish for softs as higher costs in the form of fertilliser and gas prices feed through to farm gate inflation.

personally im sticking to metals, as Im pretty technically focused and like a nice bit of action and some bullish chart technicals before going into them. still im going to keep tabs on the softs. speculators are piling into coffe at the moment. might be a good one to watch.

also I think there may be potential for chinese demand to have an effect in some commodities. in the next few years.

again spreadbetting is the most tax efficent invesmtent vehicle. stay safe though ;)

Edited by jonpo