House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

Hpc Drop Your Bacon Butty Moments

Town on the Wirral, Birkenhead. Driving there this morning, approach a small roundabout which bizarrely has a Church in the middle. There was a tiny petrol station close to this roundabout, been vacant with that abandoned look that years of under-investment has ensured that B`head does this look better than most. I`m turning right and see a gigantic bill board with the typical gorgeous aspirational couple relaxing in their new space. This tiny piece of land, smaller than most inner city gardens, is having 8 "apartments" built on it. Laugh, cry, shakes head in disbelief. There have been many defining moments when I realise how messed up the whole situation is, but this takes the prize.

Another development in my area on a former petrol station has been finished for 12 months now. 20+ apartments, all 2 bed prices from 180K. Not one sold. This is in an area, Leasowe, where 3 bed semis cost much less. I often drive past it at night not one light on, not even a security light. This isn`t anecdotal this is real, no amount of control/spin/intervention can prevent a huge correction. Only question is how much, over how long. No market can bear this strain of late over development.

Town on the Wirral, Birkenhead. Driving there this morning, approach a small roundabout which bizarrely has a Church in the middle. There was a tiny petrol station close to this roundabout, been vacant with that abandoned look that years of under-investment has ensured that B`head does this look better than most. I`m turning right and see a gigantic bill board with the typical gorgeous aspirational couple relaxing in their new space. This tiny piece of land, smaller than most inner city gardens, is having 8 "apartments" built on it. Laugh, cry, shakes head in disbelief. There have been many defining moments when I realise how messed up the whole situation is, but this takes the prize.

Another development in my area on a former petrol station has been finished for 12 months now. 20+ apartments, all 2 bed prices from 180K. Not one sold. This is in an area, Leasowe, where 3 bed semis cost much less. I often drive past it at night not one light on, not even a security light. This isn`t anecdotal this is real, no amount of control/spin/intervention can prevent a huge correction. Only question is how much, over how long. No market can bear this strain of late over development.

Lurker,

If you know where Harry Ramsdens WAS. I say was because FACI (Fish and Chips Inflation) seen to their demise. £12.50 for fish and chips FFS!!!

Next to that is a MOD building with a couple of small businesses opposite. One is a repro house (reprographics not Repossession!) and then there is a scrap yard and other small (cheap rent) areas. As you move back there is a 100 Foot wall. Anyone who remembers 'BREAD' from the early 90's will remember that the street they lived in was on a slant and it went down showing a view over the Mersey? Well at the bottom of them streets is (roughly) where this place is.

In between a scrappy and other businesses - backing onto a 100ft brick wall and facing one of the main routes from south to north liverpool, they are building......... you guessed it....... LUXURY FLATS APARTMENTS!!!!

Building work has not started but If I was a betting man I dont think these will ever be built. I think the land was bought before the SIPPS U-Turn and the guy would be lucky to get his money back on the land. He may have to go ahead and build anyway becuase this peice of land is useless to anyone. You cant expand front side or back.

If he does go ahead and build I can see him making very little profit margin. Time will tell.

TB

Edited by teddyboy

Anybody remember the Cavalier L, Sierra L, etc?

I seem to remember the ´L´ stood for luxury, yet it was the most basic model.

Maybe this has been applied to rabbit hutch new build flats.

My mate has an old Cavalier L, which is still running fine, I guess, 20 years on. Wonder if same will be true 20 years on for some new houses?

btp

These type of developments are massively overvalued...................and will lose at least third of their ''value'' however well the rest of the market holds up..............

These type of developments are massively overvalued...................and will lose at least third of their ''value'' however well the rest of the market holds up..............

Although perhaps fanciful thinking I can`t help believing that there may be some natural justice metred out over the next few years. The only possible salvation from this over-development mess can be the First time buyer. These units cannot stay empty for years, they have to sell and it has to be to FTBs, (there is no one else left) who can hopefully, with the education on this site and others, be very very choosey ;)

Edited by Converted Lurker

These type of developments are massively overvalued...................and will lose at least third of their ''value'' however well the rest of the market holds up.............. [Michael]

...and since the rest of the market isn't they'll most likely lose two thirds of their "value".

Guest wrongmove

These units cannot stay empty for years, they have to sell and it has to be to FTBs

Or housing associations. If that happens, the future value will probably be even lower.

Anybody remember the Cavalier L, Sierra L, etc?

I seem to remember the ´L´ stood for luxury, yet it was the most basic model.

Maybe this has been applied to rabbit hutch new build flats.

My mate has an old Cavalier L, which is still running fine, I guess, 20 years on. Wonder if same will be true 20 years on for some new houses?

btp

The thing I find most surprizing about "luxury" flats apartments is why they universally seem to have such small windows. Now I would have understood in 1935, but it is 2005 - There is double glazing, gas central heating, and in my opinion luxury includes a view (of something NICE preferably) that does not need to be accessed with a periscope.

Guest wrongmove

The thing I find most surprizing about "luxury" flats apartments is why they universally seem to have such small windows. Now I would have understood in 1935, but it is 2005 - There is double glazing, gas central heating, and in my opinion luxury includes a view (of something NICE preferably) that does not need to be accessed with a periscope.

Round here, they often call them "superior" apartments.

Superior to what ? Each other ?

Small windows are quite common in all new builds, not just flats. They create an optical illusion whereby the rest of the building looks bigger from the outside. Show homes use the same trick inside with scaled down furniture.

Small windows are quite common in all new builds, not just flats. They create an optical illusion whereby the rest of the building looks bigger from the outside.

Great, so the marketing guys conspire with the architect on the basis that everybody aspires to live in a monolithic new build Council Estate? WHY would I want to live in a huge block of flats? (as opposed to a small block with big windows)

Great, so the marketing guys conspire with the architect on the basis that everybody aspires to live in a monolithic new build Council Estate? WHY would I want to live in a huge block of flats? (as opposed to a small block with big windows)

It's the game where a punter says, "That new build we looked at had two windows in the lounge, this Victorian conversion only has one." More is better.

and in my opinion luxury includes a view (of something NICE preferably) that does not need to be accessed with a periscope.

got to laugh at this as the very nature of a brownfield site means a rather scrubby view.

its more often than not a bad post industrial part of some obscure town.

granted if it were docklands with a thames view - maybe that would pass for luxury

but a third floor view of the roof of the bootle arndale is hardly drinking visual ambrosia with the eyeball gods.

[brochure taster:]

...with this exquisite view of folding flapping chip wrappers. lay back gingerly on your B&Q outdoor garden hamock and let your eyes and stresses melt into the bleak grey roundabouts and mold roofed part cleaned buses. relax with a windblown glass of £3.79p wine as you sit on your cold grey balcony and take in a breath of evening heavy traffic with all the trimmings of noise and parking and traditional street yobs. as the rain comes down the party begins as the city takes on a new night image. vistas of orange and sodium greet tired eyes at the end of a professional/commuter day in the city. kick off your shoes and get your socks wet on one of our luxury cement floored balconies. enjoy the dreamy sounds of the wind blown vertical blinds as they dance in tune with the spider plant leaves and cascade light onto your luxury plain cream carpet and italian saddle brown dfs sofa. perhaps get your index out.

though saying that i would like one of those 'phones4u' window doors on a flat.

got to laugh at this as the very nature of a brownfield site means a rather scrubby view.

its more often than not a bad post industrial part of some obscure town.

granted if it were docklands with a thames view - maybe that would pass for luxury

but a third floor view of the roof of the bootle arndale is hardly drinking visual ambrosia with the eyeball gods.

[brochure taster:]

...with this exquisite view of folding flapping chip wrappers. lay back gingerly on your B&Q outdoor garden hamock and let your eyes and stresses melt into the bleak grey roundabouts and mold roofed part cleaned buses. relax with a windblown glass of £3.79p wine as you sit on your cold grey balcony and take in a breath of evening heavy traffic with all the trimmings of noise and parking and traditional street yobs. as the rain comes down the party begins as the city takes on a new night image. vistas of orange and sodium greet tired eyes at the end of a professional/commuter day in the city. kick off your shoes and get your socks wet on one of our luxury cement floored balconies. enjoy the dreamy sounds of the wind blown vertical blinds as they dance in tune with the spider plant leaves and cascade light onto your luxury plain cream carpet and italian saddle brown dfs sofa. perhaps get your index out.

though saying that i would like one of those 'phones4u' window doors on a flat.

I've recommended you to the English Tourist Board as a writer of their brochures.

but prices are not dropping :)

Merely offering great incentives..

All of which seem to be aimed at giving money back to the punter..

Mortgage assistance over a few years, cash back, solicitors fees paid..

and they are open to discussions on price..

to be able to negotiate £10,000 saving against a new property as I have managed (on top of a price drop and a further £10,000 incentive package anyway) was simple pre sipps...

If they thought people had the money perhaps.

Better kitchens, luxury showers..

More then partition walls between apartments.

Loosing the ability to hear your neighbour search for a fork in their cutlery draw as the evenings draw in..

More then four plugs per room..

Thats not money saving is it??

I mean.. a computer, light, TV, DVD player, telly, stereo..

Games consoles for the lads.. and ladies in this modern world..

"It is all built to exacting government standards" read between the lines.

"Just as cheeply built and as small as we are legally allowed to build it.. The worst possible standard legally"

I've recommended you to the English Tourist Board as a writer of their brochures.

Reminds one of the late, great Peter Sellers' skit "Balham, Gateway to the South".