House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

Blue Skies Ahead For Btl

In the Sunday Times, under the title Blue Skies Ahead, Rosie Millard quotes a King Sturge "expert in Buy-to-let" saying "the slowdown is over" and "BTL has come back" after it "ground to a halt 3 years ago." Is the slowdown over and if so why and how evidenced? Did it grind to a halt in 2002/2003? Not as I remember. That was a boom year for BTL in most bits of the UK.

I am further confused however. In an unrelated column immediately adjacent on the same page, Graham Norwood (another Times columnist) quotes Jones Lang Lesalle, "a property consultancy" as saying "a slump in demand from BTL investors means cities with an oversupply of new flats may see prices fall" (i.e. I suppose London, Manc, Leeds, Plymouth, Southampton and elsewhere). Granted Millard may be referring to more than just new build but even so which is it?

I am confused. Obviously there are lots of vocal vested interests but even they seem to disagree significantly.

Confused Scooter :blink:

dont be confused. its a bullsh1t paper that feels its ok to print untruths and wild notions.

one things for sure. this madness sure has shown each paper and tv channel to its true colours.

it is they who are confused, not you

BTL fell last year - it won't recover - there are numerous developments around here that are not selling to anyone

as for the 2 articles, take 2 experts and you get 3 different opinions (well, meant to be 2 economists but the outcome is the same)

BTL fell last year - it won't recover - there are numerous developments around here that are not selling to anyone

as for the 2 articles, take 2 experts and you get 3 different opinions (well, meant to be 2 economists but the outcome is the same)

Mmm so who is buying houses today if its less than 10% for FTBs ????

No-one should take any notice of Rosie Millard - she's got to clear her debts,so she'll write any old rubbish. Also she's terminally stupid - she wrote in the Independent on Saturday about how after shopping at Lidl,to save money, she got so little buzz out of the experience that she had to go & spend on expensive stuff in Carluccio's. She gives women a bad name.

I think she needs therapy to cure her of her stupid needs a. to get such validation from spending a lot of money, and b. for any attention.

Celeb Big Brother next year looms otherwise!

Is this the stupid baitch who was talking about "discovering" Lidl in yesterday's Indy. Make your mind up - either you're a property guru making loads or a down-at-heel pikey.

Either way - the smart money moved into Farmfoods and Poundland ages ago.

PS. Is the Indy going Guardian on us? Also spotted another braindead article about a lass who thought there were too many hours in the day and she was fed up playing Solitaire on the computer all day. Perhaps her day job is as an EA. Still the free DVD was worth having.

Edited by greencat

That is my experience of newbuild round here (North London). Yep, suppose you are right about 2 experts, 3 opinions...

Greencat I don't know you can have missed Rosie's tales of her woes - she's got loads of CC debts, as well as BTLs, and keeps on writing articles about her finances - she's writing about this in loads of papers. The Lidl piece was all about of her drive to pay off her CCs.

Of course it will recover!

Just as soon as someone can dig up 250,000 fresh numpties prepared to lie to building societies, and unable to do basic maths. After all, who could possibly resist 2.6% yields AND 10% p.a. capital depreciation for the next half decade??? It's a heady mix, I think you'll agree.

Arf!

Disinformation, confusion, contradictions, inconsistencies. All words coming out of the VI propganda machine these days.

IF you can't publish the truth confuse the facts.

The DT seems to be a little closer to the truth:

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/property/mai...7/ixptop12.html

The souring of the inner-city dream has left a glut of empty, new-build apartments, affordable to few and situated in communities bereft of families. What now for the super-cool, urban living space that stands empty? Caroline McGhie reports on a post-Sipps nightmare

Edited by Realistbear

Just as soon as someone can dig up 250,000 fresh numpties prepared to lie to building societies, and unable to do basic maths. After all, who could possibly resist 2.6% yields AND 10% p.a. capital depreciation for the next half decade??? It's a heady mix, I think you'll agree.

Sadly still a few about as a recent visit to the parental influences revealed. Little sis wants to BTL (but isn't actually an OO yet, shares with bf who is but also savvy enough not to put her on the mortgage). Fortunately she's too honest to Lie-to-buy so no bank has lent her any money yet.

Bedsprings - I'm an infrequent reader of the deadtree versions of papers so I'd hadn't put two and two together. The sheer stupidity of yesterday's article made the columnists name stick in my mind though. Thank goodness all women aren't like this (thinks fondly of mrs greencat dreaming of Primark bargains upstairs).

my understanding was (maybe incorrectly) that the amount lent for the purchase of BTL had fallen significantly in recent months? is this incorrect?

Well we were told recently in the press that mortgages were up half re-mort ,7% BTL so who's buying ??

dont be confused. its a bullsh1t paper that feels its ok to print untruths and wild notions.

one things for sure. this madness sure has shown each paper and tv channel to its true colours.

All the Broadsheets are increasingly tabloid in their style..............compared to years ago.......

..........They even put stuff about Jordan et al in doing it on a pretext of quoting the tabloids!!!!!!!!

Disinformation, confusion, contradictions, inconsistencies. All words coming out of the VI propganda machine these days.

IF you can't publish the truth confuse the facts.

The DT seems to be a little closer to the truth:

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/property/mai...7/ixptop12.html

The souring of the inner-city dream has left a glut of empty, new-build apartments, affordable to few and situated in communities bereft of families. What now for the super-cool, urban living space that stands empty? Caroline McGhie reports on a post-Sipps nightmare

Great find and a good read - it gives pretty much damming information about the dream for luxury apartments.

"Southampton

"There are 760 finished, unsold, two-bedroom flats in Southampton at the moment, and a lot more coming up on the inside track ," says an analyst

...At Ocean Village, planned as 400 apartments, the property consortium went bust, leaving flats for disposal and a section unbuilt. ...."

Not sure if the pun was intended.

In the Sunday Times, under the title Blue Skies Ahead, Rosie Millard quotes a King Sturge "expert in Buy-to-let" saying "the slowdown is over" and "BTL has come back" after it "ground to a halt 3 years ago." Is the slowdown over and if so why and how evidenced? Did it grind to a halt in 2002/2003? Not as I remember. That was a boom year for BTL in most bits of the UK.

I am further confused however. In an unrelated column immediately adjacent on the same page, Graham Norwood (another Times columnist) quotes Jones Lang Lesalle, "a property consultancy" as saying "a slump in demand from BTL investors means cities with an oversupply of new flats may see prices fall" (i.e. I suppose London, Manc, Leeds, Plymouth, Southampton and elsewhere). Granted Millard may be referring to more than just new build but even so which is it?

I am confused. Obviously there are lots of vocal vested interests but even they seem to disagree significantly.

There was a time when I used to chuckle at Rosie`s views, even enjoy the anticipation of reading of her ridiculous viewpoints on the housing market and just about everything in general. Now my view has changed, I reckon she`s barking mad. :P I can`t be bothered to bring myself to read todays piece, she`s done this so often before, I`m amazed she`s still in the job quite frankly. It`s getting boring now :angry:

Guest Winners and Losers

I saw this too and thought also how could they print two opposite views next to each other. Oops.

Perhaps this Ms. Millard is following the example of the Hamilton School of Wealth Creation.

Debts? Bankruptcy? Write a book, appear everywhere in the media and make a packet.

Great find and a good read - it gives pretty much damming information about the dream for luxury apartments.

"Southampton

"There are 760 finished, unsold, two-bedroom flats in Southampton at the moment, and a lot more coming up on the inside track ," says an analyst

Not sure if the pun was intended.

It has to be intended. It'a a complete misfit otherwise <_<

There was a time when I used to chuckle at Rosie`s views, even enjoy the anticipation of reading of her ridiculous viewpoints on the housing market and just about everything in general. Now my view has changed, I reckon she`s barking mad. :P I can`t be bothered to bring myself to read todays piece, she`s done this so often before, I`m amazed she`s still in the job quite frankly. It`s getting boring now :angry:

All true but my friends and I were just discussing her down the boozer and we reckon she is still worth a shag!