House Price Crash Forum

Gold/gold Mines/silver

TWT

HOLA441

Hi Dr bubb and all others who may have some suggestions,

I missed the gold rise (my bank said, gold not for individual, no prodct... b***, they just did not want me to get some and I did not push), however I have heard silver stayed flat and could be next, any view on that?

Is it still time to invest in gold mine companies rather than gold itself as it seems mines valuation is lagging behind gold itself?

Many thanks

Best

TWT

HOLA442

I have raised a huge amount of cash, selling out about 30% of my mining shares.

Currently, I am awaiting a pullback in gold and silver, and as it works its way higher, I am

continuing to sell.

you feel its time to liquidate your gold ?

The pull backs dont seem that strong at the moment, it seems theres fresh money going in after ever big sale.

HOLA443

I have raised a huge amount of cash, selling out about 30% of my mining shares.

Currently, I am awaiting a pullback in gold and silver, and as it works its way higher, I am

continuing to sell.

Dr B,

do you expect the current enormous upswell in the canadian small cap junior prices to be depressed if gold drops to e.g. $490 in

the near future?

My own expectation is that the mid caps (AEM etc) may pause

or pull back slightly after the recent run up, but the small caps

have their own strong momentum now.

Then again, I'm a complete amateur which is why I'm asking :-)

Pent

p.s. SIL up 50% ish, whole portfolio 8% ish in one day yesterday,

whoopee

HOLA444
HOLA445

Does anyone here hold shares in Ovoca Gold?

http://www.ovocagold.com/

They seem like a good buy and hold for 5 years at the current 8p a share? The CEO was previously at OXUS, not that that in itself should mean much. I haven't the nounce to argue whether it's a good buy, but my limited understanding, so far, says I should invest. I guess I'm asking whether any here agree?

HOLA446
HOLA447

I'm a novice at this and despite vowing not to dabble having made some money the first time round I've carried on using some of my savings in the stock market. Anyway I bought some shares in a company called African Copper (ACU) and despite not doing much for a while and even dropping at times I stayed patient and they're now rising.

HOLA448

I'm quite chuffed with my gold shares so far. My original theory was to buy an unhedged mid size producer operating in a safe country. I thought that panicking American investors looking for a safe haven would think the same.

Just before the hurricane I bought YAU and have pretty much doubled my money on them. Recently I was looking to top up and decided YAU was looking a bit pricey so I bought UGY - so far they have gone up 20% in a few months so I'm happy with them also.

The trouble is valuing a miner. This book helped me: Link

I realise that the real upside lies with the juniors but valuing them is even more difficult and I'm not keen on the risk.

Remember also that some of these miners are ISAble too. They may be AIM stock, but a lot are dual listed on primary exchanges elsewhere.

I just have to resist the urge to trade them - I'm no trader like some on here!